• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010
    NP: Agent Cody Banks - John Powell

Bad ass!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Mmm...I love agent cody banks, but I don't think it's the most honest of his scores. I think "Evolution", "paycheck" and "happy feet" are the most honest Powell scores.. And Bolt has similar style , indeed, but it doesn't make it better, just a come back to his "earlier" sound.

I don't understand what you are getting at. Not one of his most honest scores? Was he lying when he wrote Cody Banks?

-Erik-

Anthony started the "honest" thing. to be honest, I think every score from powell is honest. I can't say the same about other composers :P

NP: " Climbing to..." , "jake's first flight" from Avatar

Today im enjoying this track... shame

a joyful celebration of Navi's cultures.

It's just today, you don't have to be afraid. Tomorrow I will hate again this children choir screaming.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DEAD RINGER - Andre Previn

I don't care for the jazz 'source' tracks but the rest of the score is great and the main theme is fantastic, mysterioso with harpsicord and orchestra.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Unbreakable - James Newton Howard

Brilliant. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Mmm...I love agent cody banks, but I don't think it's the most honest of his scores. I think "Evolution", "paycheck" and "happy feet" are the most honest Powell scores.. And Bolt has similar style , indeed, but it doesn't make it better, just a come back to his "earlier" sound.

I don't understand what you are getting at. Not one of his most honest scores? Was he lying when he wrote Cody Banks?

-Erik-

Anthony started the "honest" thing. to be honest, I think every score from powell is honest. I can't say the same about other composers :P

Then why would you use a phrase that you admittedly don't understand its meaning? confused

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

Then why would you use a phrase that you admittedly don't understand its meaning? confused

-Erik-

I didn't say I don't understand it. i think you can replace "honest" for "pure".
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    I didn't say I don't understand it. i think you can replace "honest" for "pure".

Dood! Cody Banks is a quintessential Powell score!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Piranha 2 : The Flying Killers - Stelvio Cipriani

A lovely score with some great themes ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TESS - Philippe Sarde

Superb!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Red Dawn (Intrada) - Basil Poledouris

Excellent score from the late Mr. Poledouris !
    Some great action tracks . I especially like the Wolverines theme that's used throughout the ost .
    Lots of emotional cues as well , like The Eulogy , Toni's Death etc ...
    And don't you love the Death and Freedom / End Credits track ?!
    That one needs to be played LOUD !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: DARK VOID - Bear McCreary

Very nice. Sounds like a brother of the BSG series. Similar sound palette, replete with the pounding click clackity percussion and ethnic bent instrumental soli. Very enjoyable to listen to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Pinta, NiÑa, Santa Maria from 1492 (Vangelis)

This track and a couple of beers is what I need ... tongue wave
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote
    And Pluto Nash
    Those two are hands-down my favourite Powell scores.

Indeed! I found this score vomit inducing at first, but it contains some of his best action music.

Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Agent Cody Banks - John Powell

Bad ass!!!

-Erik-

Get-the-f**k-in! punk beer cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote

Beer!? Mmmmmmm! lick beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote

Brilliant. cool

Oh, definitely. One of the subtlest and more effective moments in his career.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Beer!? Mmmmmmm! lick beer

That, Vangelis' 1492 is a very satisfying listening experience on CD. One of my all time favorite albums to play, especially late at night,
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    NP: DARK VOID - Bear McCreary

Very nice. Sounds like a brother of the BSG series. Similar sound palette, replete with the pounding click clackity percussion and ethnic bent instrumental soli. Very enjoyable to listen to.

Especially when played loud as fuck! As i said the other day, percussion percussion percussion!
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    LSH wrote

Brilliant. cool

Every time those string get larger and more lush in "The Wreck", it's just simply a thing of beauty. This is a CD I can't live without.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    Martijn wrote
    And Pluto Nash
    Those two are hands-down my favourite Powell scores.

Indeed! I found this score vomit inducing at first,

Wut? confused

Really?
    Why??
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I still find it. Same as Rat Race. And Agent Cody Banks. And Horton.

Give me darker, and action Powell any day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, but you're weird.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah, but you're weird.

Go kiss a mini.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    My pleasure. love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    LSH wrote

Brilliant. cool

Every time those string get larger and more lush in "The Wreck", it's just simply a thing of beauty. This is a CD I can't live without.

Ever listened to Vaughan Williams justin?
  2. No, I haven't but I just read here liek a week or two ago someone mentioning him when talking about ... this very score as I recall.

I should, shouldn't I?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Miya wrote
    NP: Medal Of Honor: The Definitive Collection - Michael Giacchino

I don't play any computer games so I hadn't heard this before. I happened to find this compilation album and liked it, especially the great main theme! shocked

Indeed, I happen to think Michael did for videogame scores what one certain John did for film scores someway back in 1977. punk

After the first MOH videogame music was getting much more attention than before it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2010
    I know it doesn't contain any new material, but when and where was that compilation released? Is it official?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2010
    It has 17 tracks from four games. I believe it's not official... I found it somewhere in cyberspace wink
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  4. IMHO 17 tracks just doesn't summarize what he has done with this series musically. But it's a good enough sampler I guess.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. A very charming and intimate electronic score by Christophe Beck to "Guinevere".

It's been at least three years since I pulled it out. I have no idea why I waited so long, but this promotional CD-R features more tracks than the commercial release and is a good listen.

Manipulated instruments, electronic sounds that are meant to sound more believable and not so out-of-place, and other fiddling somehow all come together to just "work" and make for a good listen. And to top it off it has a catchy theme as well.

There is a female vocalist here I think providing original vocals and not samples.