• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010
    NP: Horton Hears A Who! - John Powell

An absolute riot and one of Powell's finest scores!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    But Bolt is better. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010 edited
    Eric wrote
    NP : In Concert (Barcelona) - Elmer Bernstein

What's not to like about this one ?!
    So many great themes - The Great Escape , The Magnificent Seven , Taarna's Theme (from "Heavy Metal") ,
    The Sons Of Katie Elder , The Ten Commandments etc ... and all played live !
    Great stuff from maestro Bernstein !

Hey, I attended this concert, I didn´t know there was a release of it!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    But Bolt is better. cool

No!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    How come? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's that nasty cold he got last week...his ears are still plugged wink tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FLASH GORDON - Howard Blake

Not bad at all but feels a bit dry without Queen's contributions, maybe I'm just too used to that one.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

Baaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha! moon

Bolt is pretty much paint by numbers Powell which isn't a bad thing. It's actually quite good but no where near the complexity of the brilliant Horton.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    But Bolt is better. cool

No!

-Erik-

Of course not!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Bolt is pretty much paint by numbers Powell which isn't a bad thing. It's actually quite good but no where near the complexity of the brilliant Horton.

-Erik-

Hear hear! I completely agree. Bolt might be the more easy one to like as opposed to the wacky compositions of Horton, but Horton absolutely has a lot more inventiveness, originality, complex and thematic writing than the mundane Bolt. It's almost as if Powell gave his all for Horton... and then came Bolt. Maybe it's not for you, but it stands out from the crowd. I really can't see how Bolt could be better while we bemoan mediocre writing at the same time and yell for composers to stick their head out for something new.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You need to be high in order to enjoy Horton.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

Maybe YOU do but the rest of us enjoy it just fine sober.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BobdH wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Hear hear! I completely agree. Bolt might be the more easy one to like as opposed to the wacky compositions of Horton, but Horton absolutely has a lot more inventiveness, originality, complex and thematic writing than the mundane Bolt. It's almost as if Powell gave his all for Horton... and then came Bolt. Maybe it's not for you, but it stands out from the crowd. I really can't see how Bolt could be better while we bemoan mediocre writing at the same time and yell for composers to stick their head out for something new.

Hmm, I prefer Bolt too. Though my favourite Powell score for an animation is Robots I think (or Happy Feet).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And let's not forget the Powell-iest of Powell score - Agent Cody Banks. Never before and I doubt ever again will we hear that voice and sound that I consider to be the most honest of his scores. Bolt had similar stylings which is why I think I enjoy it so much,
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

May YOU do but the rest of us enjoy it just fine sober.

-Erik-

Me? No way, as i never enjoyed it wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    And let's not forget the Powell-iest of Powell score - Agent Cody Banks. Never before and I doubt ever again will we hear that voice and sound that I consider to be the most honest of his scores. Bolt had similar stylings which is why I think I enjoy it so much,

Agent Cody Banks is indeed phenomenal! Needs a legit release!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010 edited
    Anthony wrote

The same goes for "Rat Race", maybe the one that set the standards for what we know today as his comedy / animation scoring style (choir work, catchy tunes, orchestra crazinesss, etc.). See "A Very Special Reception", "The Chase Begins", "Flights Cancelled", "Helicopter Dance", "Chase to the Balloons" (anybody said Horton?), "Byke Dyke Attack", "Grisham Runs off with the hooker" or "Rat Race Suite" just to name a few. Forty minutes of Pure Powell. Still one of my favourites.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote

Mmm...I love agent cody banks, but I don't think it's the most honest of his scores. I think "Evolution", "paycheck" and "happy feet" are the most honest Powell scores.. And Bolt has similar style , indeed, but it doesn't make it better, just a come back to his "earlier" sound.

Horton Hears a Who is pure "fireworks" and indeed is excessive, but I think it's perfect for the universe Dr Seus created. And it's one of my favourites, and sometimes my favourite, powell score. I love every second of it.

We are heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

NP:Kung Fu Panda (Zimmer and Powell)

I'm not embrassed to say it's one of my favourites scores from both composers. I think it's sublime, and it's fits the movie like a globe.

The blend of Zimmer and powell Styles is just superb. in fact, It's a mysteri when starts one, and finish the other. we want an interview about the process of composition of this score!

"sacreed pool of tears" and "oogway ascends" are masterpieces. yes, MASTERPIECES!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    NP : FLASH GORDON - Howard Blake

Not bad at all but feels a bit dry without Queen's contributions, maybe I'm just too used to that one.

Always felt much the same about Blake's score. While I'm glad I have it (and I love it in the film), it's very clear that it really serves to frame's Queen's landmark contribution. Yeah, it's the Queen version I revisit time and again as well.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote

And Pluto Nash.
    Those two are hands-down my favourite Powell scores.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

Easy.

1. get high
    2. have lots of fun
    3. get higher
    4. record it

wink cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Nautilus wrote
    Horton Hears a Who is pure "fireworks" and indeed is excessive, but I think it's perfect for the universe Dr Seus created. And it's one of my favourites, and sometimes my favourite, powell score. I love every second of it.

biggrin
    I think both Bolt and Horton fitted perfectly in the each movie. Bolt is a well-made but very basic story with basic characters (it's basically The Incredible Journey/Homeward Bound with a twist), so the score is also basic, I mean in a good way, orchestral score with memorable distinct themes for each characters. On the other hand Horton has more eccentric and colorful story, characters and visuals, like children's drawings bursted out of imagination. And Powell's "fireworks" score perfectly matched, and enhanced that crazy imaginative world.

Nautilus wrote
    NP:Kung Fu Panda (Zimmer and Powell)

I'm not embrassed to say it's one of my favourites scores from both composers. I think it's sublime, and it's fits the movie like a globe.

The blend of Zimmer and powell Styles is just superb. in fact, It's a mysteri when starts one, and finish the other. we want an interview about the process of composition of this score!

"sacreed pool of tears" and "oogway ascends" are masterpieces. yes, MASTERPIECES!

I think I've read an interview with directors where they stated who did which, though only briefly... I will find it later smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Wyatt Earp - James Newton Howard

Probably my favourite JNH score. There are some lovely themes in this one.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Medal Of Honor: The Definitive Collection - Michael Giacchino

I don't play any computer games so I hadn't heard this before. I happened to find this compilation album and liked it, especially the great main theme! shocked
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Same here, Miya. smile
    Although I went for the full albums, which I heard many good things about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Miya wrote
    I think I've read an interview with directors where they stated who did which, though only briefly... I will find it later smile

GREAT! THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSS! wave punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Mmm...I love agent cody banks, but I don't think it's the most honest of his scores. I think "Evolution", "paycheck" and "happy feet" are the most honest Powell scores.. And Bolt has similar style , indeed, but it doesn't make it better, just a come back to his "earlier" sound.

I don't understand what you are getting at. Not one of his most honest scores? Was he lying when he wrote Cody Banks?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Horton Hears A Who! - John Powell

Again? Damn straight!

-Erik-
  1. NP: Cinema Paradiso - Ennio Morricone

My personal favourite of Morricone, along with The Legend of 1900...

...Eh, and Once Upon a Time in The West...

...Eh, and Marco Polo...

...Ah, well, you get the picture... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Patch Adams - Marc Shaiman

Short but pleasant and soothing with a great finale. Love it! smile

The Ghost Writer - Alexandre Desplat

I hear some Largo Winch influences in the louder tracks, which is pretty good! Quite a standard Desplat score for the rest of the part IMO, but that's not a bad thing. Good creation of a suspenseful, tense atmosphere.