• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2010
    biggrin cool

I don't know what to play?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    Kung-Fu Kats from Cats & Dogs would be appropriate smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Only infinitely inferior wink Ninja Cat is God.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Only infinitely inferior wink Ninja Cat is God.

Gomez is a ninja master, one moment he's there, then he's gone and you don't hear him ( except when he wants food )

Anyway, I know what I want to play now....

NP : THUNDERBIRDS - Barry Gray

punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    GABRIEL YARED - message in a bottle

This man's music defines gorgeous.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    GABRIEL YARED - message in a bottle

This man's music defines gorgeous.

Oooo, good choice, that's a gorgeous score.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    This is still my favourite. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MARCO POLO - Ennio Morricone

Evocative thematic score, a favourite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    The only mistake was trying to get back into action scoring by listening to the dreadful THE PEACEMAKER by Hans Zimmer.

Dreadful? Nah, you're just no Zimmer fan when he's going overboard in the synthesized action department. But I can understand it's a tough listen.

Actually, there are some Zimmer over the top scores that I do like... The Peacemaker, however, is just awful!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Anyway, when it's good is very good (in terms of Zimmer style) and it's more orchestral and more complex in composition than "the battle" from Gladiator (wich irritates me even more).

I can't hear one organic orchestral element in The Peacemaker... at least not in that opening track.

Nautilus wrote
    But Erik, I don't think you enjoy Zimmer action writting, so why you listen in his purest form?

Come again? Like I said earlier I like some of Zimmer's action scores... The Peacemaker isn't one of them.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    This is still my favourite. biggrin

Wasn't he the original ninja cat?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    The Fugitive Pete Rugolo. This is what I grew up with as a teenager. A #1 hit.

Will you be doing a review of this Tom, I would be interested for sure.

Already half done with it Tim. From everything that I can remember it is a good representation of the music.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    The Fugitive Pete Rugolo. This is what I grew up with as a teenager. A #1 hit.

Will you be doing a review of this Tom, I would be interested for sure.

Already half done with it Tim. From everything that I can remember it is a good representation of the music.
    Thomas

Do you not have the original CD that was release by Silva many years ago?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MICHAEL GIACCHINO - lost season 1

Brings me so many bold memories. Some of the finest musical works ever written for television.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Anyway, when it's good is very good (in terms of Zimmer style) and it's more orchestral and more complex in composition than "the battle" from Gladiator (wich irritates me even more).

I can't hear one organic orchestral element in The Peacemaker... at least not in that opening track.

Nautilus wrote
    But Erik, I don't think you enjoy Zimmer action writting, so why you listen in his purest form?

Come again? Like I said earlier I like some of Zimmer's action scores... The Peacemaker isn't one of them.

-Erik-

Wich Zimmer action scores (backdraft. Gladiator and AWE aside) do you like?

I suggest listen "sarajevo" and "chase" from peacemaker instead "trains" (anyway it has a clear organic elements, specialy Flutes and Horns, wich I can't said about the sampled instruments in Gladiator)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    p.p SOLOMON KANE (loved it, see his thread) and n.p KLAUS BADELT - Shanghai.

I have an on-growing attraction to the late Badelt musical output and i have the feeling i am not alone. He's been one of the 2 actually worthy of attention composers the Zimmer machine ever produced.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

I have an on-growing attraction to the late Badelt musical output and i have the feeling i am not alone. He's been one of the 2 actually worthy of attention composers the Zimmer machine ever produced.

How is Shanghai like?

Oh, and you are not alone. Badelt´s latest works (years) are really really good.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

How is Shanghai like?

More action oriented than Solomon Kane of course, and it's a very interesting mixture of the standard Badelt piano motifs / electronic veil with organic instrumentation (percussion, lots of different kinds of, as well as eastern wind instruments and hints of eastern harmony in places). Kinda like a more urban, modern and less-epic, less-grand version of THE PROMISE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    :WANT:
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHN DEBNEY - passion of the Christ

Theme of the movie or its exaggerations as well as the cheesy comments by the composer at the time - all aside, this is one of the most important modern film scores. So much pathos, melody and musicianship is hard to top, for either the composer that wrote it in the first place, or the rest of his colleagues working in the field today. There are moments of exceptional compositional abilities, like in "Mary goes to Jesus" for example, which through their indescribable vividness and emotional strength, never fail to bring a tear to my eye.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010
    Has Shanghai gotten an official release?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Poseidon (Complete Score) - Klaus Badelt

The complete score is very good. Very VERY good. The action material is interesting, and sometime un-RC like in its approach. Every tracks has something catchy and/or melodic in it. I may be exagerating a bit, but I'm very surprised by this score. The short official release is paltry and is sorely lacking compare to the richness of this complete release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010 edited
    NP: A radio show hosted by JOE HISAISHI (All Night Nippon Sunday) on a local radio station

He's playing Avatar now! cheesy
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ARMAND AMAR - Le premier Cri

Exceptional.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: Beowulf - Alan Silvestri

This is my first listen of it. Half way through. So far, so good. I especially like the music for The Seduction. In fact, the entire score is very good.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Miya wrote
    NP: A radio show hosted by JOE HISAISHI (All Night Nippon Sunday) on a local radio station

That's awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Panthera wrote
    Miya wrote

That's awesome!

Summarize his comments for us perhaps?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    JOHN DEBNEY - passion of the Christ

Thanks for mentioning this. It made me give the score some more spins today. It does indeed have some wonderful moments. Not all cues are equally great though. Tracks 2, 4, 9, 11, 12, 14 & 15 make up the best parts of the album, and make one helluva suite.
    My rating: ****½.

It got me in a Jesus mood, so I'm currently playing Jeff Danna's The gospel of John. Compared to The passion, this score isn't as dark, doesn't sound as ethnic, and sounds a bit more romantic (probably not the right word, given the main character of the movie). I think this score is a consistently great listen throughout, while The passion has its ups and downs. But overall I can't really decide which of the two I prefer.
    My rating: ****½.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Panthera wrote
    Miya wrote

That's awesome!

Summarize his comments for us perhaps?

He said he hasn't seen the movie yet because he's busy preparing for concerts, and asked how annoying those grasses are. biggrin He introduced a long track name, and said he usually don't name track titles so he assumed so does Horner. biggrin He also said he likes Braveheart the most, and praised something about its orchestration and ethnic sound.

He talked more, it was a 1.5 hour show. Lots of interesting talk about movies and film music... about Rahman, Psyco, Casablanca, Brade Runner, how he work, and many many more.

Actually I recorded it into my (lab's tongue ) recorder but it was obviously not a good equipment to record from radio, not songbirds! But maybe I can summarize it more in detail later.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp