• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010
    DreamTheater wrote

You are all wrong! It's the 'ThisIsMyChoiceOfInstrumentSinceI'veIntroducedItInTheEighties' flute.

biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Mission: Impossible - Danny Elfman

The best Mission: Impossible film score... hands down. Elfman captured the spirit of the television series like no other. His utilization of "The Plot" motif was simply brilliant. "Mole Hunt" is has a great build up to a very heroic version of that motif! Even his rendition of the Mission: Impossible theme beats the original. Elfman did EVERYTHING right with this score... and he did it in such a short time frame. Remarkable film scoring!

As an album I find Giacchino's score more enjoyable, but Elfman's is blisteringly good in the film and, yeah, I'd agree it's the best of the three.

Let me just be the odd one out and say I like Zimmer's entry the most.

Oh man, that;s by far the least interesting of the bunch. First one's inventive, third one is kick ass, 2nd is unbearable.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010 edited
    Sufferingsuccotash

Perhaps one day Horner can use it in a live action Daffy Duck film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Yes they are Jordi, truly sublime film music and unforgettable when married to the images in the film.

I would also point out The Desert, a really underrated ( fuck you Steven tongue ) track in TGTBTU.

Underrated I don't mind. Overrated, now that's a different matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

NP: The Last Airbender - James Newton Howard

Now this James knows how to get shit done!

shocked HOLY SHIT! shocked

-Erik-

let us know your final veredict, please

I didn't make a proper listen because I'm at work. It's loud, some stuff reminds me to Wyap Earp and now I'm starting to notice better the main theme. Anyway I expected something more colorful, the orchestrations seems a little bit "grey" (except for this little flutes touch).

But one thing I can say from now: "Flow like Water" is FUCKING AMAZING. punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Oh man, that;s by far the least interesting of the bunch. First one's inventive, third one is kick ass, 2nd is unbearable.

The second one has some great tracks on it, but as a score it's terrible.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Yes they are Jordi, truly sublime film music and unforgettable when married to the images in the film.

I would also point out The Desert, a really underrated ( fuck you Steven tongue ) track in TGTBTU.

I stand corrected.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Just don't get me started on abbreviations. crazy

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: G.I Joe (Silvestri)

Waiting for A-team. I don't know why is so hated this score. I find it pretty good. An actioc packed score with electronics, guitars and a lot of Silvestri moments.

For me Silvestri's G.I. Joe is about as bland and uninteresting as you are going get from an action score! Lots of noise no substance.

-Erik-

Noisy, cheap, offensively childish at places.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...errr.....ummmm.... I hate those too! shame

( to Steven's post )
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The "Airbender Suite" is G-L-O-R-I-O-U-S. The taiko drums about 8 and half minutes in are AWESOME! Grinning ear to ear here folks! Finally, a summer blockbuster film with a true summer blockbuster sound! While I can't stand M. Night's most recent output as a director I want this guy to keep making films so James Newton Howard can score them.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: G.I Joe (Silvestri)

Waiting for A-team. I don't know why is so hated this score. I find it pretty good. An actioc packed score with electronics, guitars and a lot of Silvestri moments.

For me Silvestri's G.I. Joe is about as bland and uninteresting as you are going get from an action score! Lots of noise no substance.

-Erik-

Noisy, cheap, offensively childish at places.

It's what the movie is. and the score fits this mood pretty well.

I say it again: the action music is completly interchangeable with a lot of his other scores .
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Yeah, generic is a strong word. I mean, it's not like ... < insert something generic here > ... but just there's usually a lot of character in G's stuff, and it feels like the Mi3 stuff could have been written for any movie. Not so convinced about Elfman's.

Maybe he was on a tight schedule? Anyway i love that score, the orchestrations / arrangements and the way the action music is performed is mind-blowing at places. Plus, it elevated its shallow film greatly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    The "Airbender Suite" is G-L-O-R-I-O-U-S. The taiko drums about 8 and half minutes in are AWESOME! Grinning ear to ear here folks! Finally, a summer blockbuster film with a true summer blockbuster sound! While I can't stand M. Night's most recent output as a director I want this guy to keep making films so James Newton Howard can score them.

-Erik-

It's absolutely mindblowing what Shyamalan brings out from JNH. Can't really explain it, but it's one of the most inventive composer-director collaborations ever, imo/.
  1. NP: The Crow - City of Angels by Graeme Revell

It is basically an extension of the first Crow score, but with more percussion.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's absolutely mindblowing what Shyamalan brings out from JNH. Can't really explain it, but it's one of the most inventive composer-director collaborations ever, imo/.

It's a fantastic collaboration... no doubt about it... but best ever? I don't think so.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    one of the most...........and i didn't say "best". But wouldn't we assume that as well? Just plan a Shyamalan-JNH day and listen closely to what he wrote for him; why would that be any inferior to anything else before? Simply because they're relatively young and are still working?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Spielberg/Williams
    Zemeckis/Silvestri
    Hitchcock/Herrmann
    Burton/Elfman
    Schaffner/Goldsmith
    Leone/Morricone

That list above is unbeatable. Again, what Shammywammy and Howard has provided us has been great... Signs I think it Howard's greatest accomplishment... but I don't think the collaboration has hit a significant public awareness that something like Indiana Jones, Back To The Future and Psycho have... both as films and film music.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Spielberg/Williams
    Zemeckis/Silvestri
    Hitchcock/Herrmann
    Burton/Elfman
    Schaffner/Goldsmith
    Leone/Morricone

That list above is unbeatable. Again, what Shammywammy and Howard has provided us has been great... Signs I think it Howard's greatest accomplishment... but I don't think the collaboration has hit a significant public awareness that something like Indiana Jones, Back To The Future and Psycho have... both as films and film music.

-Erik-

Scott / Zimmer moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Agree. The same happened with the happening suite.

anyway, I find Horner's troy love theme a little bit distracting.

How I said, the score is for me " Flow like the water" punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

That's not Horner's theme! I'm not sure if there are some classical connection to that motif you mention which has been used in Glory, Stargate and The Passion of the Christ but the first time I ever hear it was in Carl Davis' score to The Champions.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

That's not Horner's theme! I'm not sure if there are some classical connection to that motif you mention which has been used in Glory, Stargate and The Passion of the Christ but the first time I ever hear it was in Carl Davis' score to The Champions.

-Erik-

Ok. But You notice that "similarity" too. That's a progress in our "relationship" tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I bit... I guess. I know what you are talking about but I haven't heard it since the suite.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Spielberg/Williams
    Zemeckis/Silvestri
    Hitchcock/Herrmann
    Burton/Elfman
    Schaffner/Goldsmith
    Leone/Morricone

-Erik-

In all honesty, younger generations are possibly more familiar with Shyamlskjananana/JNH than Schaffner/Goldsmith or Leone/Morricone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I wonder if they'd pick out Patton's triplets or Morricone's wah-wah's first over anything in Howard's scores.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    I bit... I guess. I know what you are talking about but I haven't heard it since the suite.

-Erik-

I think it's only in the suite.
  2. Steven wrote wink
    Timmer wrote

Stone him, he said the bad word! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And bring John Debney in to score it.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    And bring John Debney in to score it.

Nah, Harold Faltermeyer... That would be quite interesting actually!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: The Last Airbender - James Newton Howard

DAAAAAMN!

Taiko drums! punk