• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010
    Timmer wrote
    'bout time you watched The Good The Bad and The Ugly Jordi.

I will watch it.

I will make a Western week. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    NP: Alice In Wonderland - Danny Elfman

...has finally overtaken The Wolfman as best score of the year. Elfman is on a roll. :tipmyhat:

So.... a score with 100 reprises of the same theme, and a score wich uses a theme from other composer are the bests scores of the year??? dizzy

Eh?

Anyway, Alice is up there for me as well. That theme is brilliant and Elfman's variations (that's for Jordi) on that theme are excellent. The Wolfman's pretty awesome as well! Elfman is at the top of his game!

-Erik-

He certainly is. From Wanted onwards, he's been composing KICK ASS scores. With wolfman, alice and the terminator score he's on a roll for sure, delivering some of the best works film score has to offer these days.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'd go further back then that, Demetris. I think once Spider-Man hit in 2002 he has been on a roll. Sure, there are a few Meet The Robinson's, Men in Black II's, Nacho Libre's in there but you also have Red Dragon, Hulk, Big Fish, Spider-Man 2, Corpse Bride, Serenada Schizophrana, and Standard Operating Procedure.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Martijn wrote
    NP: Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - Patrick Doyle

Too long since I've listened to this dark, Romantic work that just oozes Gothic influences all over the place.
    Broad, bold and uncompromising, this score is just the thing to match your world view when things tend to not go your way. One of Doyle's finest works, heavy and doom-laden, with a tinge of the ethereal.
    Love this score!

I really like the love theme, but isn't this just a bit loud to be completely effective at conjuring gothic atmosphere? (Also, where's the gyspy darkness?! I want moody gypsy darkness, dammit.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    Martijn wrote

Too long since I've listened to this dark, Romantic work that just oozes Gothic influences all over the place.
    Broad, bold and uncompromising, this score is just the thing to match your world view when things tend to not go your way. One of Doyle's finest works, heavy and doom-laden, with a tinge of the ethereal.
    Love this score!

I really like the love theme, but isn't this just a bit loud to be completely effective at conjuring gothic atmosphere?

Have you seen the film?
    It's a big and loud film. It really fits the mood, and by Gum it's a fine listen on CD.

(Also, where's the gyspy darkness?! I want moody gypsy darkness, dammit.)

Try Salter, Deutsch or Waxman for the usual musical cliches. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I like the bombast of this score! For instance... the scherzo written for The Creation is incredibly effective in the film and not a piece I would have associated with the creation of the monster but Doyle really out did himself on that one! He captures the frenetic energy of scene perfectly.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'd go further back then that, Demetris. I think once Spider-Man hit in 2002 he has been on a roll. Sure, there are a few Meet The Robinson's, Men in Black II's, Nacho Libre's in there but you also have Red Dragon, Hulk, Big Fish, Spider-Man 2, Corpse Bride, Serenada Schizophrana, and Standard Operating Procedure.

-Erik-

Can't disagree with the quality of these works, although i am no fan of nacho libre or big fish but still, there are some great works in there which however aren't accessible as his output from the last 2 years, when it comes to the general public at least. Stuff like the Serenada, are tough and eclectic listens, particularly aimed at his fans the way i see it. SOP is good but very GLASS-esque. From WANTED onwards it's 100% KICKA ASS Elfman smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, I wouldn't add Taking Woodstock or Notorious as part of the kick ass scores he has composed recently. wink

-Erik-
  2. Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Martijn wrote

Love this score!

I really like the love theme, but isn't this just a bit loud to be completely effective at conjuring gothic atmosphere?

Have you seen the film?
    It's a big and loud film. It really fits the mood, and by Gum it's a fine listen on CD.

The film, frankly, is one the most extraordinary directorial disasters of its time. I can't absolve Patrick Doyle for being the guy who tried to keep in spirit with a bowling alley massacre by picking up a gun and firing some rounds himself. wink

I say this as a fan in general of what Branagh and Doyle were doing in the 90s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Poop to you, Sir.
    Good is good, whether the setting be a bowling alley massacre, a 19th century evil scientist's laboratory or a cartoon spaceship. And by Gum, this score is good.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Martijn wrote

Love this score!

Have you seen the film?

I agree on Frankenstein being a fantastic effort - I would even go a bit further by calling it Doyle's best work to date. But I fail to see how this score would be too loud, too bombastic or even too dark which people continuously claim it to be. Sure, it's got all these elements littered troughout the score, but it also has sweeping, majestic themes, a tragic tone and lush romantics in tracks like Yes I Speak, Please Wait and The Wedding Night which keep it all in a firm balance (albeit all delivered with grand gestures and a certain theatricality, the whole thing is unmistakably tragic). In short, it's the perfect score for Mary Shelley's classic (which isn't really a horror story to begin with, not in the classic sense at least).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010
    Frankenstein is one of his best scores, if not the best, indeed.
  3. I bow to the love theme's magnificence, but there's neither proportion nor journey here for me.

And not nearly enough gypsy cliches either, dammit. Anyone would think there wasn't a torch-bearing mob waiting in the wings the whole film. (How I'd love to see the Branagh treatment of that old staple.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Frankenstein - Patrick Doyle

Superb!

Up Next: Stanley and Iris - John Williams

Better than Desplat!

-Erik-
  4. NP: The Punisher (Carlo Siliotto)

Not bad. I don't play it often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Frankenstein - Patrick Doyle

Superb!

Up Next: Stanley and Iris - John Williams

Better than Desplat!

-Erik-

The score is better than the person? shocked biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just finished with Morricone's epic HUNDRA. There's a great love theme in there as well.

Up Next: Star Trek - Michael Giacchino

Not one of the best Trek scores but still very entertaining and emotional.

-Erik-
  5. NP: Robin Hood (Streitenfeld)

I can't say I dislike this score. It's simple, but having listened to what Zimmer's score would have sounded like last night (At World's End), I can say it's genuinely better music.
  6. NP: Hancock (Powell)

I like it.
  7. Robocop - Basil Poledouris

The Intrada release. I've grown so used to the sequencing of the old Varese album, I really have to get used to this one. But the fact still stands I love this music. One of the most interesting scores Basil's ever done, full of great ideas, cool as ice synths and an awesome theme (love the one in 'Force Shoots Robo'). And the improved sound quality does wonders for my enjoyment. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Karate Kid (Horner)

the rumbling piano.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Bring nicholas Dodd back!!

PS:Of course, Southall will love this score. it has the "emotional" piano from man without face .

PS: where is the final song???? FAIL! tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Does it contain any Sushichakakhan flute?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorredgrange
    Tombstone -- Broughton

It's been too long since I listened to this. I keep replaying 'You're No Daisy; Finishing It'. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    redgrange wrote
    Tombstone -- Broughton

It's been too long since I listened to this. I keep replaying 'You're No Daisy; Finishing It'. cool

Holy shit! I've forgotten about this one as well. :Erik adds this to his playlist:

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Karate Kid (Horner)

the rumbling piano.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ok, the main theme ('From Master to Student to Master, 7:25 mark) reminds me of 'Gathering All the Na'vi Clans for Battle' from Avatar.

I love this guy.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Karate Kid is pretty good, but I'm kinda disappointed... I went in expecting lots of Chinese instruments and action material featuring the same, since I love East Asian music of that kind in general. But apart from the occasional flute and metal clangs, this is by far a "Eastern flavoured" Western orchestral score, the ethnic instruments are quite less. Also there isn't much action or dramatic music. It's a good album though, with some soothing material and typical Horner orchestral material sprinkled throughout (including the aforementioned piano). Will give it more listens and I'm pretty certain I'll like it more eventually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    The last seven cues are pretty good. I can't see how they can fit in this kind of picture though.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Give me Conti's scores any day!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Does it contain any Sushichakakhan flute?

yeap! it has a great rendition in the 8 minutes track
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND - Danny Elfman

I'm glad I keep an open mind ( or should that be ear ), when I heard Elfman was scoring this I thought "oh no, here we go" rolleyes but I am so pleased to be proved wrong, this is a great score, IMO, the best of the year so far, I absolutely love it and that theme just won't leave my head cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt