• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010
    Actually, both scores are pretty much equal on the bombast factor. But both scores leave a lot of room to breath. CutThroat isn't all action and neither is ID4. Listening to the complete presentation of both scores showcases that.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Actually, both scores are pretty much equal on the bombast factor. But both scores leave a lot of room to breath. CutThroat isn't all action and neither is ID4. Listening to the complete presentation of both scores showcases that.

-Erik-

oK, thank you. I will do that.

Sincerly yours,

-Jordi-
  1. Nautilus wrote

Sincerly yours,

-Jordi-

What the ... confused

biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010 edited
    NP: Alice In Wonderland - Danny Elfman

...has finally overtaken The Wolfman as best score of the year. Elfman is on a roll. :tipmyhat:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    :tipmyhat:
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Darn! crazy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I forgot about those personal emoticons.

:whip:

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote

...has finally overtaken The Wolfman as best score of the year. Elfman is on a roll. :tipmyhat:

So.... a score with 100 reprises of the same theme, and a score wich uses a theme from Killar are the bests scores of the year??? dizzy

NP: For a few Dollars more (morricone)

God, how inventive this scores from Morricone are. A lot of memorable themes!.

Even if I'm not a great fan of this composers (because I find him a little bit over dramatic, specially his use of female vocalists) it rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote

So.... a score with 100 reprises of the same theme, and a score wich uses a theme from other composer are the bests scores of the year??? dizzy

Eh?

Anyway, Alice is up there for me as well. That theme is brilliant and Elfman's variations (that's for Jordi) on that theme are excellent. The Wolfman's pretty awesome as well! Elfman is at the top of his game!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    THE HORSE WHISPERER | thomas newman

The last time I wrote about this score, I said it was one of his more mediocre ones, but I'll have to change my opinion. It deserves a higher ranking. It contains one of his best finales: the last three tracks are quite different from each other but present the three really good themes in their best variation. The Vast Continent is introduced by flutes and typical Newman ambience, but then the oboe (or hobo?) comes in and your heart melts, ending the track with an orchestral finale. The next track includes the snowy theme, with piano and the violin and cello playing with each other. The cd ends with a last reprise of the upbeat main theme.

Perhaps Newman is my favourite composer. love
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Wow...searching ennio morricone in youtube I heard a piece....OH GOD!!

ECSTASY OF GOLD from The Good, the bad and the ugly

OH MYYYYYYYYYYYY GOSH!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It that really the first time you've heard that piece, Jordi?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    It that really the first time you've heard that piece, Jordi?

-Erik-

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

OH GOD! this is EPIC!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'll admit it... I'm a bit envious! BTW, have you seen the scene it accompanies?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    How could you not have heard that before Jordi? shocked

Recently Thomas, Thor, Jim, Elin and I saw it performed at the Royal Albert Hall:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u10bNMQIWjU

There's a fine live recording available on a compilation too: I forgot its name (Erik knows!) and it includes a version of Ecstasy of Gold too.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'll admit it... I'm a bit envious! BTW, have you seen the scene it accompanies?

-Erik-

I can understand you. I want to listen Crimson tide for first time!!!!

But listening pieces like Ecstasy of Gold really makes me happy to have so many music without listening.

In fact, I have to listen almost all the morricone's discography.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote

OH MYYYYYYYYYYYY GOSH!!!!

Like Erik, I'm a little bit envious, you hearing this for the first time, and stumbling across possibly THE SINGLE GREATEST FILM MUSIC CUE EVER WRITTEN is akin to discovering the Grail. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote

Good luck. Listening to that 24/7, forgoing social interaction and human necessities (eating, sleeping, bathroom visits), you should be able to get through it all by...oh...2083 or so. wink

NP: Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - Patrick Doyle

Too long since I've listened to this dark, Romantic work that just oozes Gothic influences all over the place.
    Broad, bold and uncompromising, this score is just the thing to match your world view when things tend to not go your way. One of Doyle's finest works, heavy and doom-laden, with a tinge of the ethereal.
    Love this score!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Good luck. Listening to that 24/7, forgoing social interaction and human necessities (eating, sleeping, bathroom visits), you should be able to get through it all by...oh...2083 or so. wink

Well, Since I think I will not like this overt the top femmale vocalists in every of his scores, I think I will listen 1/4 of it. tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote

So.... a score with 100 reprises of the same theme, and a score wich uses a theme from Killar are the bests scores of the year??? dizzy

Who cares, it's a BRILLIANT theme!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Bregt wrote
    There's a fine live recording available on a compilation too: I forgot its name (Erik knows!) and it includes a version of Ecstasy of Gold too.

Cinema Concerto: Ennio Morricone at Santa Cecilia
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote
    Well, Since I think I will not like this overt the top femmale vocalists in every of his scores, I think I will listen 1/4 of it. tongue

Ooooooh, that's alright then.
    See you in 2045.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote
    NP: Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - Patrick Doyle

Too long since I've listened to this dark, Romantic work that just oozes Gothic influences all over the place.
    Broad, bold and uncompromising, this score is just the thing to match your world view when things tend to not go your way. One of Doyle's finest works, heavy and doom-laden, with a tinge of the ethereal.
    Love this score!

The score that made me watch out for this man. It has been one of my favourite of Patrick since then. Dark and romantic is spot on, with just one hell of an opening title, one that instantly grabs the attention of the unwary viewer (or listener). It keeps the high quality throughout.

Martijn, you may choose to ignore this or not. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote

Who cares, it's a BRILLIANT theme!

Who'd a thunk it, but I agree with you, it's GREAT! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

rolleyes

No way you had not heard that piece before!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

rolleyes

No way you had not heard that piece before!

Mmm...yes, I have not heard that piece before. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    It means....you have not....watched the movie?! shocked

Blasphemy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    It means....you have not....watched the movie?! shocked

Blasphemy!

I have not watched any western until the last night I watched Once Upon a time in the West

(Oh I did watch Dancing with wolves, Open Range and unforgiven )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    I have not watched any western until the last night I watched Once Upon a time in the West

It was about time! I recommended the film to you centuries ago.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    'bout time you watched The Good The Bad and The Ugly Jordi.