• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010
    NP:Scorpion King (Debney)

Dammed!

I always feel atraction to listen this score. Orchestral power, electric guitars, Lisbeth Scott and an arabic sense. I'm always surprised in how few moments I really enjoy.

the action stuff is a little disjointed (except for the last 2 tracks) and not enough thematic devolopment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    the action stuff is a little disjointed (except for the last 2 tracks) and not enough thematic devolopment.

And yet you like Iron Man 2....
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

And yet you like Iron Man 2....

I don't know if I llike Iron Man 2 or not, because it's not realeased yet.

But I can say there are around 20 minutes of non-stop action music in Iron man that I enjoy a lot. With heavy use of electric guitars.
  1. So, let me see if I understand you well. You don't know this score, because its' not released and yet you know it? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    So, let me see if I understand you well. You don't know this score, because its' not released and yet you know it? biggrin

exactly. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    GRAEME REVELL - red planet

Absolutely fantastic.

I love it too.

This new age style it's fantastic. I don't know if as score, but as album for sure.

There's at least one fantastic cue in the film as they land on Mars that's missing from the album.

Either way I'm in total agreement with both of you, it's a superb album.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^there's a 'complete' thingy circulating.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

Dammed!

I always feel atraction to listen this score. Orchestral power, electric guitars, Lisbeth Scott and an arabic sense. I'm always surprised in how few moments I really enjoy.

So much better than Iron Man 2.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    ^there's a 'complete' thingy circulating.

Hmmmmm? lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Dammed!

So much better than Iron Man 2.

Yes, it is. I didn't say I enjoy more IM2 than scorpion king.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010 edited
    By the way....

Am I the only one addicted to "monaco" stuff? Rourke's theme with chorus over the electric guitars is sooooooooooo cool!!! and while Debney's IM theme is rather bland and out of place, it has a really powerful version in this track too! (specially with this Conan/Total recall-esque percusion)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LIFEFORCE - Henry Mancini

Awesome score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010
    Timmer wrote

Awesome score.

Indeed it is! cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote

Awesome score.

Indeed it is! cool beer

Indeed!!

In fact the main theme is so good that Otman re-used it for Xmen 2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    No he didn't Jordi... Ottman, like Brian Tyler, only used the rhythm.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Snakes Eyes (Sakamoto)

cool
  2. Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures - Knut Avenstroup Haugen

Absolutely wonderful, full of memorable melodies, sometimes a little similar in sound like what McCreary did for BSG. By Crom, this is a videogame score that isn't all droning synths or with lifeless structure. May the Gods feast upon this holy treasure.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Snakes Eyes (Sakamoto)

cool

cool beer
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures - Knut Avenstroup Haugen

Absolutely wonderful, full of memorable melodies, sometimes a little similar in sound like what McCreary did for BSG. By Crom, this is a videogame score that isn't all droning synths or with lifeless structure. May the Gods feast upon this holy treasure.

that opening track still blows me away, so goddamn epic punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

By Crom, this is a videogame score that isn't all droning synths or with lifeless structure.

Surely these days game scores are the least likely candidates for synth drone?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. - Mario Nascimbene

An incredible score that's part sound scape but with heavenly themes, truly AWESOME!

I don't think any other score conjurs the fear and terror that must have been felt by our early fur clothed ancesters as they spent every day of their lives in mortal terror of the possibility of being eaten by a Dinosaur.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Don't forget UFOs. They didn't have the FBI to help them at this point in history, remember?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TRUE! well pointed out, the list of dangers is endless, it's a miracle we got to where we are today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010 edited
    NP:Chinatown (Goldsmith)

My first listen, and probably my last.

I enjoy it today because I'm still in this "noir" mood, but I guess tomorrow it we will pass.

I will play next: Golden Compass (Desplat)

It's not what you can expect for a fantasy score....it's like the "qualitè" version . Exquisite orchestrations, complex composition.... It's so rich that I always fins something new.

It's not a score to play and enjoy everyday though...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010 edited
    L.A confidential

While Chinatown is more romantic (and probably the quintesential of Noir scores ) L.A condifential is Brutal.

A mix between Goldsmith's 70's scores and Goldsmith's 90's percusion and electronics.

"bloody Christmas" and "shoout" are specially impressive.

in this "noir" mood im discovering a lot of good scores.

I will play next : femme Fatale (sakamoto)

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010
    *batteries not included - James Horner

It's been a while since I last listened to this score. But it seems that as I get older I can make friends more with those swing tracks. Today I really enjoyed them! It's the second half of the album though that is really good in my opinion. You can spot many musical instances that Horner later developed in other scores.
    It's a feel-good album by Horner, a good way to start this rainy day.
  4. Nautilus wrote
    L.A confidential

While Chinatown is more romantic (and probably the quintesential of Noir scores ) L.A condifential is Brutal.

A mix between Goldsmith's 70's scores and Goldsmith's 90's percusion and electronics.

"bloody Christmas" and "shoout" are specially impressive.

in this "noir" mood im discovering a lot of good scores.

I will play next : femme Fatale (sakamoto)

cool

And don't forget Leonard Bernstein's definite noir score of On the Waterfront (known in form of an over 20-minute concert suite). It inspired both LA Confidential and Black Dahlia. That's why the action music in both scores is so based on timpani rhythms. Goldsmith also took the main LA Confidential theme almost verbatim from Bernstein's work.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Thanks! I will listen that one too!

Now It seems I have a Desplat mood...

I was playing: New Moon

The main theme is decent and elegant, but i don't think it's a touching enough to be a love theme, and it doesn't fit a vampire movie either.

The rest is Desplat in Autopilot. But With that movie I didn't expect nothing better.

NP: Birth

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Much better!

Hypnotic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote

Oh, indeed, that score is pure bliss and we've been shouting about it since it came out in 08 if i recall correctly? It's actually stunning, much better than many of what is classified as film music these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

By Crom, this is a videogame score that isn't all droning synths or with lifeless structure.

Surely these days game scores are the least likely candidates for synth drone?

Word; guys like Marina and Schyman for instance, are doing wonders for this genre these days. Others should look and take lessons.