• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures - Knut Avenstroup Haugen

By Crom, this is a videogame score that isn't all droning synths or with lifeless structure.

Surely these days game scores are the least likely candidates for synth drone?

Word; guys like Marina and Schyman for instance, are doing wonders for this genre these days. Others should look and take lessons.

Well give me Gerard Marino over Schyman, at least Marino provides themes.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010
    Nautilus wrote
    I was playing: New Moon

The main theme is decent and elegant, but i don't think it's a touching enough to be a love theme, and it doesn't fit a vampire movie either.

Allow me to remake your sentence: the Love Theme is more than decent and it is indeed elegant. It is also touching. I agree though, it does not fit the movie.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    I was playing: New Moon

The main theme is decent and elegant, but i don't think it's a touching enough to be a love theme, and it doesn't fit a vampire movie either.

Allow me to remake your sentence: the Love Theme is more than decent and it is indeed elegant. It is also touching. I agree though, it does not fit the movie.

I don't allow you.

I had an additional writter some weeks ago and it didn't work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: Girl with a Pearl earring (desplat)

Every Desplat score is perfect to play at night. Quite, gentle, elegant, hypnotic....and even some of them Zzzzzzzzzzzz....

That is not the case, though.

PS: the main theme reminds me to Seven years in tibet, Anyone with me?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2010
    I thought I'd give...

NP : L.A. CONFIDENTIAL - Jerry Goldsmith

...a spin.

Very aggresive percussive score with a touch of Chinatown, I like it a lot but people who are familiar with this should give Leonard Bernstein's On The Waterfront a play, it's very similar ( and SUPERB too )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. On the Waterfront has some of my all-time favorite action music!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Brilliant score! One of the all time greats!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures - Knut Avenstroup Haugen

By Crom, this is a videogame score that isn't all droning synths or with lifeless structure.

Surely these days game scores are the least likely candidates for synth drone?

Word; guys like Marina and Schyman for instance, are doing wonders for this genre these days. Others should look and take lessons.

Well give me Gerard Marino over Schyman, at least Marino provides themes.

Yes yes we already know you don't like Schyman.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: Surf's Up - Mychael Dana

I really enjoy the serious main theme. Dana put much more intensity into it than many other composers would have for an animated movie about surfing penguins. The mock-surf music is less interesting, but overall a short, but very nice score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2010 edited
    With this rainny day again, perfect to listen Desplat...

NP:Hostage

First listen. I never have heard more than the first 3 tracks

EDIT: mmm...Pretty Good!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Hostage is brilliant! My second favourite Desplat after Largo Winch.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR WARS : EPISODE I - THE PHANTOM MESS - John Williams

Excellent score! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The best score of the prequel by far!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I originally posted this on the PHILIPPE SARDE thread...

LE TRAIN

I love this track and would love to know where I can find it?

p.s. It is NOT on the Le Train soundtrack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    shocked Stunning, Timmer! I wish I knew where to find it as well!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Perfect Storm - James Horner

Superb effort!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Superb effort!

-Erik-

Oh absolutely, it has such a unique blend of sounds and it works perfectly.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote

Superb effort!

-Erik-

Some years ago I listened this one every single day. Yes, that good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Surely you do not mean that you listened to it every single day for "some years." shocked

So, for how long a period did you listen to it every single day?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Erik Woods wrote

Superb effort!

-Erik-

I'm listening to that now! Yet another underrated score. I love the main themes, the action music, the instrumentation, even the electric guitar...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2010 edited
    JP: CAPRICORN ONE - Jerry Goldsmith
    It's unfortunate that such a master of the orchestra had such fondness for experiments with now dated synths and horribly schmaltzy ballads or interludes (see also: The Omen, The Boys From Brazil).

Capricorn One, fortunately, only has a small portion of this. The hinted at synthesizer early on is thankfully just a one timer to convey a certain sci-fi otherworldlyness (and works quite well, to be honest). Kay's Theme, however, is a downright awful soft-rock beat that destroys the atmosphere provided by the rest of the score and firmly dates the thing.

Needless to say, I skipped this track to continue enjoying this great blend of atonal suspense writing and more bombastic pieces that's a strong mix of the accessible and the less-accessible, tied together by a main theme that functions as the driving force of the score. Thoroughly enjoyable, despite its single shortcoming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2010
    Scribe wrote
    Surely you do not mean that you listened to it every single day for "some years." shocked

Haha, no I didn't. I have probably expressed it the wrong way. I meant that, some years ago, during a period of time (weeks), I listened to The Perfect Storm on a regular basis.
  4. "Laurette" / "Prince Jack"
    (Elmer Bernstein)

The Kritzerland release. Traded a CD with an FSM user to get this. A worth wild trade as far as I am concerened. Two very plesant scores. Not as strong as "Ghostbusters" or "The Great Escape", but still good nontheless.

I am partial to "Prince Jack" as I love his use of the ondes.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Timmer wrote
    I originally posted this on the PHILIPPE SARDE thread...

LE TRAIN

I love this track and would love to know where I can find it?

p.s. It is NOT on the Le Train soundtrack.

Any help:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Le-train-Anna-e … B003I6WUI8

http://www.amazon.com/Le-train-Anna-et- … B003HV2K0M
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm listening to the V.I.P.S in preparing for my second review in the Rozsa Box. Here is yet another score that slipped past me.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Alla scoperta dell'America - Ennio Morricone

Music for a documentary from the '70s. The majority of the themes are good, mostly the love theme (don't ask why there is a love theme in a documentary!). There are some tracks that sound like a brass band, some lighthearted funny stuff and 2-3 atonal ones too.
  6. The Man Without a Face - James Horner

A wondrous listen full of thematic loveliness. 'A Father's Legacy' sums it all up in 6 great minutes. One of those by the man that never fail to get me all emotional.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Man Without a Face - James Horner

A wondrous listen full of thematic loveliness. 'A Father's Legacy' sums it all up in 6 great minutes. One of those by the man that never fail to get me all emotional.

^
    beer (I think the movie is quite good too.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Today is FANTASY FRIDAY!

I will begin the day with John Williams' classic CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND.

I will then move on to the Williamsesque score from FORBIDDEN WARRIOR by Mike Verta. You can hear the score in its complete form HERE! Click on the MUSIC link and it will take you to a page where you can hear the score.

I will then spin one of the very best comic book scores of all time; THE PHANTOM by David Newman!

I will close the day out with Bruce Broughton's brilliant score LOST IN SPACE. I still can't comprehend how Broughton managed to write such creative and detailed orchestral music in under 14 days.

-Erik-