• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2010 edited
    NP: Vertigo - Bernard Herrmann

One of the greatest scores ever composed and my favorite Herrmann. I don't particularly like listening to complete Bernard Herrmann scores - very repeatative - but there are a few exceptions... and this is one of them. I have the original soundtrack recording which was also released by Varese but I prefer to spin the Gramophone Award winning re-recording by Joel McNeely and Royal Scottish National Orchestra. To my ears THIS is the greatest re-recording of all time! Passionate conducting by Mr. McNeely, precise performances by the RSNO and a brilliant, dynamic recording by Geoff Foster! Every film music fan owes it to themselves to pick this one up.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2010
    All this talk about Prince of Persia has wet my appetite to play it once again.
    It certainly impressed me when I first heard it two week ago!
    Aaaahhh yes, it certainly improves with each listen!
    Good scoring here Mr. HGW! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Vertigo - Bernard Herrmann

One of the greatest scores ever composed and my favorite Herrmann. I don't particularly like listening to complete Bernard Herrmann scores - very repeatative - but there are a few exceptions... and this is one of them. I have the original soundtrack recording which was also released by Varese but I prefer to spin the Gramophone Award winning re-recording by Joel McNeely and Royal Scottish National Orchestra. To my ears THIS is the greatest re-recording of all time! Passionate conducting by Mr. McNeely, precise performances by the RSNO and a brilliant, dynamic recording by Geoff Foster! Every film music fan owes it to themselves to pick this one up.

-Erik-

Greatest re-recording of all time? i don't know ( my ears probably aren't as fine tuned as yours ) but I totally agree with you, it IS fantastic. one of THE great scores, no doubt about it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    As a BIG fan of re-recordings what Varese did with Vertigo is pretty much in a league by itself.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I usually prefer the original performance, but I agree that all of the McNeely treatments of Herrmann's classic are outstanding! (Psycho and NbNW are just as impressive!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Continuing today while waking up with PRINCE OF PERSIA. The main theme is gorgeous, especially in the first track.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Cyrano de Bergerac - Jean-Claude Petit

I remember when I first watched this movie in 1991 I instantly liked the score. It hasn't changed since then. Very good themes with a nice baroque flavour.
  1. Today, some good times with

Ride with the Devil (Danna)

Mists of Avalon (Holdridge)

Moving Music (Armand Amar)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    As a BIG fan of re-recordings what Varese did with Vertigo is pretty much in a league by itself.

-Erik-

I usually find myself moving between each of the versions available as I enjoy the differences that each one provides. McNeely's re-recording is excellent but I always find myself talking about James Conlon's complete re-recording he did for Douglas Gordon's "arty" film, "Feature Film." Also a great - maybe even definitive - version

Review: http://www.musicweb-international.com/f … ertigo.htm
    Film clip: http://www.artangel.org.uk//projects/19 … ature_film (excerpt is of a rather low-key part of the score. Stay with it though as it picks up about 5 minutes into the clip!

I've never seen the film but I believe that the excerpt is an indication of what the film involved: just images of the conductor conducting. And that's pretty much what the book has - images of the composer (or various parts of his anatomy).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: Lost Suite 4 (ed by Anthony)

A very enjoyable listen. Some very moving material.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Great Mouse Detective - Henry Mancini

I don't know why, but lately I've got this main theme stuck in my head.
    It's no longer available on CD but just found on iTunes Store... only in the US. slant
    So don't ask how I'm listening to this. wink

I love the main theme since I saw the movie some years ago. So catchy and perfect for this Sherlock Mouse character. Big Ben Chase is great too.

Although not by Mancini, Let Me Be Good To You has the best lyrics for a Disney kiddie song tongue
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Shrek Forever After (Harry Gregson-Williams)

Glad to see Harry is back from the shadows. With this one and Prince of Persia I've regain the faith I had lost in him the last five years (with some exceptions like 'Gone Baby Gone').
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Still no way near as talented as Powell.

Somebody had to say it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'd take Prince of Persia over the frantic animated Powell scores anytime by far.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm sure you would. Powell is still more talented though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Try Shrek Forever After D, you might like it.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Still on Raine's rerecording of Tiomkin's The Alamo (it is quite impossible to sit through in one sitting, more's the pity as the music's mood echoes the dramatic developments of the film to create a fantastic tapestry of emotions, working towards a very satisfying climax).
    Currently at the last rousting part: The Battle Of The Alamo.

This is a movement (five tracks) of great energy and very elegant composition, and the Symphony Orchestra of Prague carries it off beautifully and in a very disciplined way. This rerecording has really brought up my appreciation of Tiomkin's magnus opus -already not really shabby to begin with- a few notches.

What a great work.
    I should put some effort into creating a more digestible 45-minute listen, but it'll be quite a chore: there is SO much great music in here.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Here's the original LP tracklisting

1. Overture (03:07)
    2. Main Title: De Guella / The Green Leaves of Summer (02:10)
    3. David Crockett Arrives (02:33)
    4. David Crockett's Speech (02:22)
    vocal John Wayne
    5. Raid For Cattle (04:37)
    6. Tennessee Babe (02:30)
    7. Here's To The Ladies (01:10)
    8. Ballad Of The Alamo (03:47)
    vocal Marty Robbins
    9. The Green Leaves Of Summer (03:20)
    10. General Santa Ana (02:38)
    11. David Crockett (03:47)
    vocal John Wayne
    12. The Green Leaves Of Summer (02:52)
    vocal The Brothers Four
    13. Charge Of Santa Ana; Death Of David Crockett (07:00)
    14. Finale (01:27)

Or you could try the expanded Legacy release tracklisting.

1. Overture (03:06)
    2. Main title - Legend of the Alamo - Sam Houston (03:15)
    3. Davy Crockett And The Tennesseans (00:57)
    4. Cantina Music (02:10)
    5. Davy Crockett's Speech ("Republic Is One Of Those Words...") (02:20)
    6. Love Scene (06:32)
    7. Crockett And The Tennesseans Enter The Alamo (02:34)
    8. The Mexicans Arrive (02:37)
    9. Intermission (01:01)
    10. Entr'acte (03:44)
    11. Tennessee Babe (02:30)
    12. Her's To The Ladies (01:10)
    13. Raid For Cattle (04:36)
    14. Santa Anna (01:09)
    15. Crossing The Line (02:49)
    16. The Green Leaves Of Summer (03:19)
    17. Charge of Santa Anna/Death Of Davy Crockett/The Final Assault (07:00)
    18. Finale (01:50)
    19. Exit Music (01:09)
    20. Davy Crockett And Flaca ("I'am Gonna Tell You Something, Flaca...") (03:46)
    Bonus selection
    21. Alternate Ending, The Eyes Of Texas Are Upon You (01:10)
    Bonus selection
    22. Ballad Of The Alamo
    Bonus selection
    23. The Green Leaves Of Summer (02:54)
    Bonus selection

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Cheers Erik. I recently came across this album thanks to Martijn's comments, and I have to admit the prospect of 3 CDs of music is a little daunting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    I'd take Prince of Persia over the frantic animated Powell scores anytime by far.

:thumbs down:

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    WP: The Wolfman - Danny Elfman

Cloudy full moon night here. What a perfect time to play this killer album. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Here's the original LP tracklisting
    Or you could try the expanded Legacy release tracklisting.

I have both. smile
    But thanks.

The older releases are of very limited use as some of the best music is actually in the previously unreleased tracks.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TRUE CONFESSIONS - Georges Delerue

No words I say can do justice to this sublime work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    New Moon ~ Alexandre Desplat

I love Desplat's melancholic mood. It fits me.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  4. Fits me too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Yeah... I hope people give this one a chance but there is a lot of prejudice out there against any composer who has played in the RC arena... I too was a little skeptical. I'm glad I kept an open mind!

-Erik-

Can you talk about the recording of Prince of Persia sands of time , please?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Modern Warfare 2 (Balfe and Zimmer)

Now it's official (in all the meaning of the word) this "score" is A nightmare. It's the worst "music" i ever heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Yeah... I hope people give this one a chance but there is a lot of prejudice out there against any composer who has played in the RC arena... I too was a little skeptical. I'm glad I kept an open mind!

-Erik-

Can you just disappear, please!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Can you just disappear, please!

-Erik-

Nope!

By the way, I was talking seriously this time, because I think the metals in POP are recorded to low and synthetic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    By the way, I was talking seriously this time, because I think the metals in POP are recorded to low and synthetic.

Well then I apologize.

I like the recording!

-Erik-