• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2010
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Alice In Wonderland - Danny Elfman

Absolutely love this score, it seems to grow on me with every listen. From the addictive main theme to the superb action cues, and suspenseful choral material, it's got all the classic Elfman material I like so much. One of the best scores of the year so far, no doubt!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2010 edited
    Coincidentally the CD I'm playing now also contains the score to Alice In Wonderland but I've skipped that to play...

NP : PETULIA - John Barry

I love this score, a very chilled out loungey jazz score. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Stavroula wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

PRINCE OF PERSIA (Harry Gregson-Williams)
    I've had this one for a while now but this is my first complete listen... I'm liking the opening cue a lot!

It's a great opening cue indeed! One of my favourite opening cues of the year together with New Moon

I'm really enjoying this score. I think it's the perfect sound for this film and the right composer was chosen to work on it.

Ostrich Race, Dastan And Tamina Escape and Raid On Alamut are outstanding action cues but I could use less of the The Rock influenced motif in Running From Sheik Amar. So far this is a very coherent album, it sends me to the right place and time and sets the right mood!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Jordi, your last two commenst have dropped my opinion of your musical tastes precipitously. The last four tracks of Glory and the whole of Elfman's Alice in Wonderland bore you?

And wasn't the last score you praised Iron Man 2?

Come sir, let us be reasonable!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Reasonable and Jordi are two words that don't go together!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Erik Woods wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I've had this one for a while now but this is my first complete listen... I'm liking the opening cue a lot!

It's a great opening cue indeed! One of my favourite opening cues of the year together with New Moon

I'm really enjoying this score. I think it's the perfect sound for this film and the right composer was chosen to work on it.

Ostrich Race, Dastan And Tamina Escape and Raid On Alamut are outstanding action cues but I could use less of the The Rock influenced motif in Running From Sheik Amar. So far this is a very coherent album, it sends me to the right place and time and sets the right mood!

-Erik-

We totaly agree! I pointed put the place and time coherence when I first commented on this album too and I should say that it grows more to me with each listening. And having seen the film I can assure you that the music works perfectly in it. smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The album looses a bit of it's creative juices near the end of the album but I really enjoyed it! I can see this one on my Top Ten of the year list! That last cue is a perfect emotional kick in the gut!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Jordi [and] words... don't go together!

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    ^^^^
    OOOOooooooohh...... BURN!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: ID4 - David Arnold

Great score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    christopher wrote
    Jordi, your last two commenst have dropped my opinion of your musical tastes precipitously. The last four tracks of Glory and the whole of Elfman's Alice in Wonderland bore you?

Tears are falling from my eyes...

By the way I'm agree With Erik that Prince of Persia has the perfect sound for that movie.

NP:Psychological recovery.... from SH

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

yeah

lol
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

yeah

lol

Too easy, don't you think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sometimes the funniest jokes are the simplest ones.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Prince of Persia Harry Gregson-Williams

It's quite entertaining, but does drag a bit in some places.

I'm pretty sure 'Ostrich Race' is John Powell's doing?
    uhm
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE HUNTING PARTY - Rolfe Kent

A fine score, very James Bond'ish in a John Barry stylee with a touch of John Powell, good stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    Prince of Persia Harry Gregson-Williams

It's quite entertaining, but does drag a bit in some places.

I'm pretty sure 'Ostrich Race' is John Powell's doing?
    uhm

Nope, sounds like Harry to me. He doesn't do the allegro string writing that much, but he's done it before and after John Powell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If it is Harry, he does a good job of replicating Powell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tintin wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Tintin wrote
    I'm a bit surprised to hear some beep sounds in this.

Beep sounds?

Yeah electronic beeps i should have pointed out, like the ones in Spy Game and other scores that he composed. They don't bother me, I was just surprised to hear them in such a film. I'm looking forward to hear it in context too.

You mean his trademarked electronica sounds. They're everywhere but thankfully in this score they're very limited and buried completely in the film.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

We totaly agree! I pointed put the place and time coherence when I first commented on this album too and I should say that it grows more to me with each listening. And having seen the film I can assure you that the music works perfectly in it. smile

Harry has crafted one very mature and coherent score here, i've seen the movie 2 days ago at the cinema and have been listening to the score for over a week now on the mp3 version i've got 'till my ordered cd arrives, and it's grown immensely as a listening experience. I said it before and i do believe that the opening track and the main theme in general bear qualities from eras past.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think it's a wonderful main theme... very memorable... and it seems like a lot of thought was put into crafting it! Most definitely NOT a paint by numbers or generic sounding RC theme. This score really took me by surprise!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nice to say "i told you so" wink

No, really. I am very, very impressed with this especially after having watched the film as well.

[edit]
    in fact, i am n.p. HARRY GREGSON WILLIAMS - prince of persia

Harry couldn't have placed him-self back on the spotlight with a more creative, fresh and spot-on way than this. Really impressed by this pleasant, completely unexpected surprise. That main THEME is memorable, properly developed and breathes musicianship all over. Elegant and lush, like the good old days. Strong competitor for one of the year's best so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nice to say "i told you so" wink

Actually, this is the first time I read any of your comment regarding the Prince of Persia score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know, i know, and i also remember it's the first time you've been properly listening to it today; it was rather a general comment, Last week some people were addressing it as "standard" or even "mediocre" and i am simply glad others are getting pleasantly surprised by it as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah... I hope people give this one a chance but there is a lot of prejudice out there against any composer who has played in the RC arena... I too was a little skeptical. I'm glad I kept an open mind!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

in fact, i am n.p. HARRY GREGSON WILLIAMS - prince of persia

Harry couldn't have placed him-self back on the spotlight with a more creative, fresh and spot-on way than this. Really impressed by this pleasant, completely unexpected surprise. That main THEME is memorable, properly developed and breathes musicianship all over. Elegant and lush, like the good old days. Strong competitor for one of the year's best so far.

Which good old days would they be? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    When such films, had proper themes. Big bold and lush instead of the usual wallpaper scoring we get these days. Harry's theme reminds me of Golden Age as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, I got that feeling the other day. Then I realised it was just indigestion.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin