• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Revenge of the Sith - John Williams

So far, this is the best Star Wars score I've heard. After watching and enjoying the movie, the level of tragedy and darkness from the score was just amplified. And I know I'm probably alone in this, but I think Battle of the Heroes/Anakin vs. Obi-Wan is a better concert theme than Duel of the Fates.

shocked

-Erik-

Like I said, I know I'm probably alone in that sense.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010
    Chloe - Mychael Danna

Disappointing. Easily the weakest, most uninteresting score he's ever composed for Egoyan. Very dull; pretty much devoid of a single interesting idea.
  2. I'd have to agree. One of two tracks that might work in a compilation of other Egoyan films, but there just isn't the distinctive flavour you expect from a danna/egoyan collaboration.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    I enjoy the heck out of Transformers.
    I must be drunk a lot... christmas_drunk

That, is his best due of scores to date, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010 edited
    lp wrote
    NP: Total Recall (Deluxe Edition) - Jerry Goldsmith

The Best Goldsmith Action Score. Ever.

Maybe. Personally I'd vote for Rambo II.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

So far, this is the best Star Wars score I've heard. After watching and enjoying the movie, the level of tragedy and darkness from the score was just amplified. And I know I'm probably alone in this, but I think Battle of the Heroes/Anakin vs. Obi-Wan is a better concert theme than Duel of the Fates.

shocked

-Erik-

Like I said, I know I'm probably alone in that sense.

Yes, your are. shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote

Tough call for sure but my vote would tip to Total Recall.

No argument though, both are fantastic scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Other tracks that stick out are Anakin's Betrayal, Anakin's Dark Deeds, General Grievous, and Padme's Ruminations...

Have you heard all 6 Star Wars scores?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: A Nightmare on Elm Street - The deservedly maligned Steve Jablonsky

The sound design is interesting and enjoyable. But the actual music crazy
    It's like he picked up his old arpeggio exercise book, tore out a page, built a score around it, and then sat back with his check and said, "there, I knew that dumb book would be good for something someday."
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    The sunny weather's back in Aberdeen after a weekend of near constant rain. Something appropriate...

NP: Sideways - Rolfe Kent

Love this score - always guaranteed to put me in a good mood.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote

Tough call for sure but my vote would tip to Total Recall.

No argument though, both are fantastic scores.

There's something so addictive about Total Recall. Rambo II has the benefit of being a sequel score while TR is all self-contained awesomeness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Black Sunday - John Williams
    Whoa, this was remastered very finely. Switching from The Wolfman to this, I barely noticed that the 33-year rewind in recording technology.

Erik, are you familiar with the fan remastering of the original Star Wars scores that's been floating around the web? I am not sure what to call it other than "fan remastering" but its basically the completely 1997 releases, except it sounds a whole lot better. Particularly on Jedi. If you are interested and haven't heard them yet, I can probably dig up a link, and/or upload my versions...though they are in lossless so it might take a while smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I haven't heard these fan remasterings.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Ok, name a track you think is particularly bad on the RCA Jedi release and I will upload the remastered version of the track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Battle of Endor 1 2 and 3. I want to hear if they edited in cues from the 1997 Arista 4CD box set.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The WHAT set? I thought I was familiar with all the different releases. Guess not smile

I will upload those cues sometime this evening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    THIS!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    My understanding is that was released in 1993 and is commonly known as the Fox Box?
    I see that it was created by Arista, that was the part that confused me smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm dying to hear a decent version of The Battle Of Endor cues. Why does the RCA release sound so bad?
  3. Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Other tracks that stick out are Anakin's Betrayal, Anakin's Dark Deeds, General Grievous, and Padme's Ruminations...

Have you heard all 6 Star Wars scores?

Not yet...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not even within all 6 films?
  4. I've yet to see all 6 films. I only just finished the prequels; I'm watching the whole thing chronologically.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Interesting.

I'm more keen to hear your overall opinion of the scores ( and films ) than anyone I've known.

I mean that, I've never known anyone who's come into these films and scores as a Star Wars virgin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I've yet to see all 6 films. I only just finished the prequels; I'm watching the whole thing chronologically.

Oh jesus christ. Don't even bother with that! The prequels should have been called Space Fights... they are not proper Star Wars films!

I would say try to forget the prequels when you watch the originals, but you've had the misfortune of seeing them first. My heart bleeds for you. sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I've yet to see all 6 films. I only just finished the prequels; I'm watching the whole thing chronologically.

Oh jesus christ. Don't even bother with that! The prequels should have been called Space Fights... they are not proper Star Wars films!

I would say try to forget the prequels when you watch the originals, but you've had the misfortune of seeing them first. My heart bleeds for you. sad

I'd much rather hear his fresh and unprejudiced view.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010 edited
    The good thing is he'll go from ok to good to all-out brilliant. So with that in mind I, myself would've loved seeing them in the I - VI order. smile

And ROTS nicely ties in with ANH. It's really a very emotional film if you know what follows.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    The good thing is he'll go from ok to good to all-out brilliant. So with that in mind I, myself would've loved seeing them in the I - VI order. smile

No, he'll go from bad to god awful to shit to brilliant to perfection to very good.
  5. You think ROTS is shit ? shocked dizzy

I like it a lot, especially the second half.

And Jedi is my favourite because it brings the saga to a close in a spectacular fashion. Empire never provided closure so while brilliant it doesn't give me the same feeling as Jedi.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, but you prefer Star Trek III to Star Trek II, so there's no accounting for taste. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    NP: A Nightmare on Elm Street - The deservedly maligned Steve Jablonsky

The sound design is interesting and enjoyable. But the actual music crazy
    It's like he picked up his old arpeggio exercise book, tore out a page, built a score around it, and then sat back with his check and said, "there, I knew that dumb book would be good for something someday."

That's pretty horrible indeed; the other day i was listening to it as well, didn't even manage to make it to the half of the cd. I believe i refereed to it in a post in this thread that looked like this: "steve jablonsssszzzzzzz......."
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.