• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: LOST suites (Giacchino; ed. Anthony)

Just listening to suites 1 and 2, and it's nice to hear some effort put into distilling this stuff down. (I can never make it through whole CDs of LOST music.) One thing that I really do feel, now that it's packed down, is that this is music that I don't really enjoy a great deal. It's kind of halfway between on-the-nose dramatic scoring and extremely well-written music. While the orchestration is strong, it's not amazing in the way that has me listening just for the sake of such amazing music. And while the music has drama and shape and storytelling, a lot of it comes down to overwrought high drama or jungle drums with groaning trombones. Not my cup of tea. (And that's all I'm saying - that it isn't my cup of tea.)

Still, interested to hear where the music goes in seasons 3 to 5 suites. I have the season 3 disc, but have never listened to it.

I think it was suite 5, the ensemble expands a bit? Anyway, that was quite good.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010
    EVANTHIA REBOUTSIKA - a touch of spice (politiki kouzina)

Never looses its warmth and touch, undeniably her best and most emotional work to date.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: LOST suites (Giacchino; ed. Anthony)

Just listening to suites 1 and 2, and it's nice to hear some effort put into distilling this stuff down. (I can never make it through whole CDs of LOST music.) One thing that I really do feel, now that it's packed down, is that this is music that I don't really enjoy a great deal. It's kind of halfway between on-the-nose dramatic scoring and extremely well-written music. While the orchestration is strong, it's not amazing in the way that has me listening just for the sake of such amazing music. And while the music has drama and shape and storytelling, a lot of it comes down to overwrought high drama or jungle drums with groaning trombones. Not my cup of tea. (And that's all I'm saying - that it isn't my cup of tea.)

Still, interested to hear where the music goes in seasons 3 to 5 suites. I have the season 3 disc, but have never listened to it.

I think it was suite 5, the ensemble expands a bit? Anyway, that was quite good.

The Lost orchestra didn't really get much bigger as it went along. There was some more percussion added at several stages, and season 3 introduced French horns in one episode and later what sounds like a cimbalom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010
    Scribe wrote
    My understanding is that was released in 1993 and is commonly known as the Fox Box?
    I see that it was created by Arista, that was the part that confused me smile

Sorry... i didn't realize I wrote 1997. shame

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I've yet to see all 6 films. I only just finished the prequels; I'm watching the whole thing chronologically.

face-palm-mt

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Steven wrote
    Yeah, but you prefer Star Trek III to Star Trek II, so there's no accounting for taste. tongue

You and me, outside...

NOW !!!!!!! angry

And I'm not in a good mood, so get ready for losing some blood.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If it gets rid of some that anger and teaches you to let go for once, I'd be more than happy to go a few rounds Mr. Glorieux! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Fight? Excellent! I'll get some beers in. punk beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I've yet to see all 6 films. I only just finished the prequels; I'm watching the whole thing chronologically.

face-palm-mt

-Erik-

Hey whatever, that's how the director intended it to be. Why not respect his vision?
  4. Anyway, before I lose all credibility...

Jurassic Park - John Williams

This is one of those scores where I've heard the main themes numerous times before in other contexts, but they're still a delight to hear on one CD. "Welcome to Jurassic Park"... biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

And background screaming chicks.
  5. Steven wrote
    If it gets rid of some that anger and teaches you to let go for once, I'd be more than happy to go a few rounds Mr. Glorieux! biggrin

Timmer wrote

There only one I'll be fighting and he's no member of MT, he's too much of an imbecile to understand what real music is anyway.

Thanks for the confidence guys. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

face-palm-mt

-Erik-

Hey whatever, that's how the director intended it to be. Why not respect his vision?

Ooh, don't get Erik started about Mr. Lucas' vision. You're in a world of hurt... shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

face-palm-mt

-Erik-

Respect his vision? RESPECT HIS VISION!? biggrin biggrin

The prequels completely fuck with the magic and charm that made the originals so good. Fuck Lucas's vision, they were made for money and merchandising. The originals are so good because the first film he was genuinely trying to make a great film, and the two sequels weren't directed by him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Listening to Up on the roof from Chicken run it just struck me that it's kinda similar to "Dieter's theme" from Rescue dawn. It quickly takes off in a different direction, so shouldn't be called a rip-off. It's similar enough though that I suspect that Badelt might have based his theme on it. Considering how different the films are, that's kinda funny to think about.

Anyone else see the similarity?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010 edited
    NP:First Knight (Goldsmith)

Lancelot's fanfarre scoreorgasmic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

face-palm-mt

-Erik-

This was most definitely NOT his intended vision. If Star Wars wasn't a success there was no Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi to be told... never mind the bull shit prequels. Lucas can spew all the garbage that he want but he didn't know until he wrote the screen plays to Empire and Jedi that Luke and Leia were brother and sister and that Vader was Luke's father.

A true Star Wars fan watches the original trilogy first.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    As the prequels are obviously written after the Original Trilogy, they already "foreshadow" many events in there with impunity as the audience already really knows what's going to happen.

That's why -to my mind- dramatically and in the way of storytelling it makes no sense watching the six films chronologically. They're not written that way, and I think it diminishes quite a bit of the impact.

Anyway, NP: The Alamo - Dimitri Tiomkin
    It's too long. God, it's wayyyyy too long...but I cannot stop listenining. :Dizzy: It's such a magnificent score, so dramatic and raunchy and boisterous, and the recording by Raine is SO damn good that I just can't turn away.

This is a LOT better than the original recording (and not only because that had a bit of dialogue interspersed). It's a great and worthwhile interpretation, executed and recorded with finesse and style.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

face-palm-mt

-Erik-

This was most definitely NOT his intended vision. If Star Wars wasn't a success there was no Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi to be told... never mind the bull shit prequels. Lucas can spew all the garbage that he want but he didn't know until he wrote the screen plays to Empire and Jedi that Luke and Leia were brother and sister and that Vader was Luke's father.

A true Star Wars fan watches the original trilogy first.

-Erik-

Correction: a true Star Wars fan loves the original trilogy most.

I'm sure Kevin didn't have the advantage so many of us had: to be a kid / young adult when the original trilogy was released and subsequently using those films as the standard by which the others would be judged.

I can understand what he's saying though about respecting the vision of Lucas, after all he invented the universe and all things in it, even if the prequels are definitely inferior.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    Lucas, after all he invented the universe and all things in it

Nope. The name Coruscant for the Imperial Center planet was actually thought up by writer Timothy Zahn, and was accepted and adopted by Lucasfilm Licensing. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    NP: The Alamo - Dimitri Tiomkin
    It's too long. God, it's wayyyyy too long...but I cannot stop listenining. :Dizzy: It's such a magnificent score, so dramatic and raunchy and boisterous, and the recording by Raine is SO damn good that I just can't turn away.

This is a LOT better than the original recording (and not only because that had a bit of dialogue interspersed). It's a great and worthwhile interpretation, executed and recorded with finesse and style.

Took the words right out my mouth. This score goes on and on and on and on... but you just can't turn it off. It's sooooooo good!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'm sure Kevin didn't have the advantage so many of us had: to be a kid / young adult when the original trilogy was released and subsequently using those films as the standard by which the others would be judged.

Thank God I'm guiding my boy away from the dark side. The first time he will lay eyes on the prequel trilogy will be at the Star Wars Concert in July. Even after that I refuse to show him the prequels. He will have to discover them for himself. For now, it's only Star Wars (which he LOVES), Empire (after the Asteroid Field he looses interest) and he could care less about Jedi. biggrin Even the Ewoks didn't excite him.

-Erik-
  7. Not liking the ewoks in Jedi? shocked

Anthony Daniels in Threepio mode: "That's very odd indeed."
  8. Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Lucas, after all he invented the universe and all things in it

Nope. The name Coruscant for the Imperial Center planet was actually thought up by writer Timothy Zahn, and was accepted and adopted by Lucasfilm Licensing. smile

Of course YOU would know these things, Master Martijn. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    Not liking the ewoks in Jedi? shocked

Yeah. What are the odds?

(all together now...)

DreamTheater wrote
    Martijn wrote
    The name Coruscant for the Imperial Center planet was actually thought up by writer Timothy Zahn, and was accepted and adopted by Lucasfilm Licensing. smile

Of course YOU would know these things, Master Martijn. cool

Cherish your inner geek, you must. Yes, yes! Muhuhuhuh. alien
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Not liking the ewoks in Jedi? shocked

But he loves the droids... and DARTH VADER!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Whenever i read "True" and "fan" in the same sentence Manowar comes in mind and i laugh wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The new Robin Hood. I kinda like it
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    The new Robin Hood. I kinda like it

spin shocked spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: LOST (Giacchino)

even being the less thematically rich of all the seasons, it still is the best album.

I heard this score before I watched a single episode. And You know, if I don't know the composer I'm not very interested on it. But with LOST score I was amazed from the first second. Melodic, Dissonant, agressive, orchestral, tribal....

It still is the most absorving and mind blowing of all the lost scores.

A masterpiece.