• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010
    Season 4 is king!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Prince of Persia- Sands of Time~HGW

Yeap, I know, I know! Controversial critiques for both the score and the film, but what can I do? I really like it! It's an eastern farytale and believe you me I need some fairytale in my life right now!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Been playing alot of Powell lately. There's so much joy in his music, that it always makes me in a great mood. Have played and rated the following scores:

Powell: How to train your dragon (****½) - Wonderful new themes with that Powell sound I love. Might evolve into a *****-rating with more listens.

Powell: Evolution (***½) - Has some great themes, but alot of filler too. Cues 5, 6, 10, 12, 15, 17, 20, 22, 23 is all one needs, and it's 20 minutes of non-stop goodness.

Powell: Rat race (**½) - No themes have gotten to me, but it's all cute and well-made music. Perhaps additional playing will make me like it more.

Powell: Endurance (***) - I don't get why other people rant about this one.

Powell & Gregson-Williams: Antz (*****) - I love all the cues. It's rare to get a score so enjoyable all the way through.

Powell & Gregson-Williams: Chicken run (*****) - Sounds great, with some wonderful themes.

Powell & Gregson-Williams: Shrek (****) - I love the themes, but there's alot of uninteresting stuff as well.

Gregson-Williams: Shrek 2 (***½) - Seems a more professional and consistant album than the first one, but to be honest alot of it bores me.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Been playing alot of Powell lately. There's so much joy in his music, that it always makes me in a great mood. Have played and rated the following scores:

Powell: Rat race (**½) - No themes have gotten to me, but it's all cute and well-made music. Perhaps additional playing will make me like it more.

One of my favourite Powell scores for a comedy: 'The Chase Begins' - 'Flights Cancelled' - 'Helicopter Dance' - 'Rat Race Suite' just to name a few include most of Powell's trademarks for the genre.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thanks Marselus. I will try to play those four tracks on repeat until they get to me.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote

I only ever play the main theme. Never fails to cheer me up. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Indeed, it's not bad. I also like the tracks "Chasing the bull" and "Chosen to run for Ethiopia" which has that joyful Powell sound, in its early stages. "The final race" is also a very good track.

When I say that "I don't get why other people rant about this one" what I'm actually saying is that I don't yet get it. I'm sure this score will make a bigger impact with additional listens, but for the moment alot of its running time bores me.

I think what turns me off the most is the song "My son". This track has all the elements of a modern film ballad that I loath, and it's so bad it sounds almost like a parody.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    When talking of Powell, nobody ever talks about Forces of Nature! Obviously because it was never released, and the film was poorly received and quickly forgotten, but I really think the score is an underrated Powell gem that I thoroughly enjoyed for a long time.

That list made me remember it again... must dig it up soon!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Haven't heard that one. Will try to see if I can find something from it.

Oh, and btw, "Coming back around" from "How to train your dragon" <- Cue of the year!

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Drumline is also excellent.

And Agent Cody Banks is one of his best if you don't have that already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Drumline has some excellent excellent cues that seem too short amongst sort of okayish ones that seem too long. That's the frustrating thing about that score
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010
    Cool. Haven't tried either of those scores. More to check out! I love this guy!

Peter biggrin
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    plindboe wrote

Powell: How to train your dragon (****½) - Wonderful new themes with that Powell sound I love. Might evolve into a *****-rating with more listens.

Powell: Evolution (***½) - Has some great themes, but alot of filler too. Cues 5, 6, 10, 12, 15, 17, 20, 22, 23 is all one needs, and it's 20 minutes of non-stop goodness.

Powell & Gregson-Williams: Antz (*****) - I love all the cues. It's rare to get a score so enjoyable all the way through.

Powell & Gregson-Williams: Chicken run (*****) - Sounds great, with some wonderful themes.

Powell & Gregson-Williams: Shrek (****) - I love the themes, but there's alot of uninteresting stuff as well.

Gregson-Williams: Shrek 2 (***½) - Seems a more professional and consistant album than the first one, but to be honest alot of it bores me.

Peter punk

punk

If you like his playful music don't forget
    Kung Fu Panda
    Bolt
    any of his animation scores really.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SHELTERING SKY - Ryuichi Sakamoto

Bliss!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    plindboe, your must-have John Powell list should be:

The Bourne Supremacy
    Paycheck
    Agent Cody Banks
    Bolt
    Drumline
    The Italian Job
    Hancock
    Mr. & Mrs. Smith
    X-Men The Last Stand
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote

I wanted to shoot the speakers the few times i've actually played that wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE SHELTERING SKY - Ryuichi Sakamoto

Bliss!

I've actually melted that lp!

n.p. Star Trek The Search for Spock (Tribute to James Horner), that youtube video Erik linked to.

Great stuff indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010 edited
    STEVE JABLONSKY - nightmare on elm street, 2010

Every thriller score the rc team produced since, sounds like Zimmer's THE RING, only half as inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    STEVE JABLONSKY - nightmare on elm street, 2010

Every thriller score the rc team produced since, sounds like Zimmer's THE RING, only half as inspired.

Why are you even bothering to listen to it again?? biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, i haven't completed one listen the other time and i thought i would now. I did actually, and then pressed shift+delete.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Iron Man 2 (Debney)

Give me "Monaco" and "iron man battle the drones" anytime instead the bland and uninspired Sands of TIme.

This is compose for orchestra!!!!

Am I the only Who likes it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thanks for the Powell suggestions, Panthera and Anthony.

Peter cool
  1. Alice in Wonderland - Elfman

Very impressive. I'm only 12 tracks in and it's already my favorite Elfman score since Sommersby.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote

Give me "Monaco" and "iron man battle the drones" anytime instead the bland and uninspired Sands of TIme.

If you think Sands of Time is bland and uninspired, then I don't really understand why you would like Iron Man 2 more. The only positive thing about it is the fact that you can hear more orchestra. IM2 makes IM1 sounds like it's full of character and personality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    lp wrote
    Nautilus wrote

If you think Sands of Time is bland and uninspired, then I don't really understand why you would like Iron Man 2 more. The only positive thing about it is the fact that you can hear more orchestra. IM2 makes IM1 sounds like it's full of character and personality.

the 2 tracks I said contains all the power that Sands of time doesn't. The rest is even more bland than harry's score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote
    lp wrote
    Nautilus wrote

the 2 tracks I said contains all the power that Sands of time doesn't. The rest is even more bland than harry's score.

Perhaps so, but as a score goes, POP:SOT is much more worthwhile than IM2 can ever be.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

I wanted to shoot the speakers the few times i've actually played that wink

But...why? It's awesome, no?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's okay. It's not one I play very often to be honest. (I place in in my 'lower tier' of Powell scores.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    The Pick Up Artist | georges delerue

I somewhat never got into this composer, but recently I tried again with the 2CD compilation of Varèse. Suddenly I stumbled on the suite from The Pick Up Artist and I fell in love. love I love this! spin Is there a full score?

I must say, I enjoy the other tracks a lot more than before, but this one just jumped out.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Bregt wrote
    The Pick Up Artist | georges delerue

I somewhat never got into this composer

OMG, Bregt! That's blasphemy!

Is there a full score?
    I must say, I enjoy the other tracks a lot more than before, but this one just jumped out.

There was a full score by Intrada that is sold out. By it appears on ebay for a decent price from time to time.
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5105/.f