• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010 edited
    NP: Predator - Alan Silvestri

I love this score. Chalked full of highlights. The track I'm listening to right now "Battle Plans" is 9 minutes of pure tension. A slow building piece with a pulse. Silvestri gradually adds on the layers (very James Hornerish) until the cue explodes at the 6:50 mark. Sensational writing! The suspense continues for another 2 minutes or so... pitch bending strings, brass blasts, piano rumbles, growling horns... it's a brilliantly constructed cue from start to finish. From there the album ends with four suspense driven Dutch vs. Predator battle cues!

Great score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010
    LSH wrote
    NP: REIGN OF FIRE - EDWARD SHEARMUR

My dad's just got a brand new sound system and I'm testing it out (i.e. annoying the neighbours).

punk cool

Absolutely.kick.ass.masterful.score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Np: Explorers - Jerry Goldsmith

This brings out the kid in you!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

30 minutes ago you was playing predator...Are you having a jordi's kind of mood? spin moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote
    I have never seen Blade Runner.

don't hurt me

Remedy that immediately!

-Erik-

He'll just come back and say it's crap.

I have it added to my Netflix behind a million other things that I "must" watch. If it's sci-fi and Ridley Scott I'm sure I won't hate it.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

30 minutes ago you was playing predator...Are you having a jordi's kind of mood? spin moon

I finished Predator. When I wrote my post I was 5 tracks away from being finished. Now that Predator is done Explorers in on. Battlestar Galactica Season 3 is next... once Explorers is finished!

ugh

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote
    I have never seen Blade Runner.

don't hurt me

Remedy that immediately!

-Erik-

He'll just come back and say it's crap.

I have it added to my Netflix behind a million other things that I "must" watch. If it's sci-fi and Ridley Scott I'm sure I won't hate it.

The special effects will BLOW. YOUR. MIND!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Special effects from 1982? I hope it is better than the first Terminator. That hurt my eyes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Scribe wrote
    Special effects from 1982? I hope it is better than the first Terminator. That hurt my eyes.

SPECIAL EFFECTS FROM BLADE RUNNER DIDN'T DATE A PIECE!! ARE INCREDIBLE!

AND THE MOVIE DESERVES BE WATCHED ONLY FOR THE TECHNICAL ISSUES!

A mind blowing film. It's a great experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    k i believe you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Scribe wrote
    k i believe you

thanks cool

Seriously, I was not a big fan of this movie because it was too cold for my taste and it has some narrative problems (sorry). But thanks to the music, art direction and effects this is not just a movie, it's a PIECE OF ART.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Centurion - Ilan Eshkeri
    This is threatening to become my favorite Eshkeri score (not that there's a huge amount of competition, but Stardust and The Young Victoria are both pleasant). I love the subtle chanting and whispering on a lot of the cues, very mysterious and creepy. And the main theme as heard in the opening track is quite nice...very proud and noble without being too"power anthem"-ish. After some of the comments I was expecting no melody at all from this score, so I was surprised by the first track.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SUPERMAN - John Williams

not bad.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SUPERMAN - John Williams

not bad.

not good either. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Jordi please remember to follow the recommendations on that package I sent you. It is not meant to be used all at once...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, and ignore the sign that says "nitroglyce..."something and remember to shake well before inhalation!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Scribe wrote
    Jordi please remember to follow the recommendations on that package I sent you. It is not meant to be used all at once...

oOPS! too late vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Old Souls.

And Erik, don't tell me that the strings in the end of Dream within a Dream don't sound like a Bond score.

I can hear it but I must admit I wouldn't have noticed it if it hadn't been for so many people mentioning it. I don't think it's that blatant. (The Vangelis is, though.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Duplicity - James Newton Howard.

First listen. More enjoyable than I expected. Sounds a lot like a Powell score.

To be honest, I don't know why they didn't just hire Powell - he's probably a bit cheaper than JNH and a Powell-style score written by Powell would have been better than someone else imitating him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The recording sounds a lot better than it might have if it was a Powell score...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Really? I like the sound of most of Powell's recordings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Duplicity - James Newton Howard.

First listen. More enjoyable than I expected. Sounds a lot like a Powell score.

To be honest, I don't know why they didn't just hire Powell - he's probably a bit cheaper than JNH and a Powell-style score written by Powell would have been better than someone else imitating him.

I just could agree with you , but being heard Knight And Day at least Duplicity has an addictive main theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall wrote
    Really? I like the sound of most of Powell's recordings.

Me too. I said "might". But when you get something like Dragon with such wonderful music veiled by such insanely stupid mixing choices, it can make you paranoid... slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    The recording sounds a lot better than it might have if it was a Powell score...

Interesting that you say that because both composers USUALLY use Shawn Murphy to record their scores. However, in the case of Dupilcity Alan Meyerson was the engineer. And even though Shawn Murphy mixed the How To Train Your Dragon score it was initially recorded and mixed by Patrick Doyle' main engineer... the terrible Nick Wollage.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I thought most Howard scores had Meyerson. I love Meyerson.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Meyerson started working with Howard on King Kong but Murphy still works with Howard... he recorded The Last Airbender.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Er, then what the heck happened with Dragon??
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Meyerson started working with Howard on King Kong but Murphy still works with Howard... he recorded The Last Airbender.

-Erik-

Earlier, actually. Didn't Meyerson mix The Interpreter? Anyway in general it happened around Batman Begins, when Howard started to "Zimmerize" himself a bit.

For a while Meyerson mixed everything but Shyamalan for JNH.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Re: Blade Runner

If you can, watch the Blu Ray on a large TV screen. I recently had the luck to do that at a friend´s house, and I swear the movie looked as if it was filmed this year. It was spectacular. Turn down the lights, pump up the volume, AND give yourself 48 hours to digest the movie before making up your mind about it. A lot of people I know hated it after the first viewing, but everyone of them rewatched it sooner or later, and now they all love it, of course.