• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. PawelStroinski wrote
    As far as I know? (James has the original Varese release, so he knows possibly better) The film spent a year in the can. Then they came back to it, re-edited it (not sure about that) and, not sure if with the director's participation, Deborah Lurie rescored it for the new release.

I have a hunch that Hallstrom didn't participate in the rescoring process, though Lurie did score his next movie. His process is pretty interesting, look at this:

Cider House Rules - Rachel Portman
    Chocolat - Rachel Portman
    Shipping News - Rachel Portman replaced with Jerry Goldsmith (out because of appendicitis and a surgery), then Chris Young
    An Unfinished Life - Chris Young replaced with Deborah Lurie
    Dear John - Deborah Lurie

See the page "Supposedly" on my srejected scores site for another person on "Choclat".

And Portman was also onboard -- if the information is correct -- "An Unfinished Life" before Young, as well.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2010
    NP: Big Fish

So melodic in that Elfman traditional way. Not as thematic as Edward, but still lovely.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2010
    NP: A Time to Die, Ennio Morricone

One of the only Morricone limited editions NOT on an Italian label! Quite lovely, and the suspenseful parts aren't nearly as irritating as some of his gallio scores.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2010 edited
    NP: Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - Steve Jablonsky & an additional composer who happen to be a woman (too lazy to read my playlist)

Yay, it's okay. I'm quickly getting tired of Jablonsky's style. Sure, it's fun, brainless stuff. But it's all so generic and really banal at time. It really makes me appreciate the classier nature of Harry's score.
  2. Harry score could use a shave.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Random tracks over the last half an hour or so features a mix that's filled predominantly with relatively little-mentioned titles:

Underground - Stuart Hancock
    Daybreakers - Christopher Gordon
    God of War III - Cris Velasco
    Like Minds - Carlo Giacco
    Les Sables Mouvants - Vladimir Cosma
    North and South - Bill Conti
    Black Sunday - John Williams
    The Twilight Zone: Where Is Everybody? - Bernard Herrmann

Out of this crop I'd mention Williams' Black Sunday. I remember seeing the film when I was much younger but have no recollection of the music. But this is a great CD featuring a style of Williams' I really enjoy.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2010
    Demolition Man - Elliot Goldenthal

So enjoyable. Such a pity that Goldenthal hasn't done more film work in the last few years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Demolition Man is amazing.

NP: Nostromo, Ennio Morricone

I finally let myself be influenced by the clip on M.T.'s front page and popped in this lovely little 2-CD jewel. This is one C&C edition that's worth every minute.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    HeeroJF wrote

I finally let myself be influenced by the clip on M.T.'s front page and popped in this lovely little 2-CD jewel. This is one C&C edition that's worth every minute.

A masterpiece. Stunning piece of work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    NP: Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - Steve Jablonsky & an additional composer who happen to be a woman (too lazy to read my playlist)

Yay, it's okay. I'm quickly getting tired of Jablonsky's style. Sure, it's fun, brainless stuff. But it's all so generic and really banal at time. It really makes me appreciate the classier nature of Harry score.

Harry's score is ages better, one of 2010's best so far; no comparison.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

Oh, indeed; every single note in it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Southall wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

HERE HERE!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote

Yay, it's okay. I'm quickly getting tired of Jablonsky's style. Sure, it's fun, brainless stuff. But it's all so generic and really banal at time. It really makes me appreciate the classier nature of Harry score.

Harry's score is ages better, one of 2010's best so far; no comparison.

Yeah. Harry needs to do more orchestral scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

Oh, indeed; every single note in it.

Best part is: when I got it, some time last year, I only did so because it was a Morricone I didn't have, and a good opportunity presented itself to get this rare item at a reasonable price. I hadn't heard anything at all concerning the musical content itself. Imagine my immense satisfaction when it turned out to be such a masterpiece! I couldn't believe I hadn't heard of it before. This score should be just as talked about as The Mission or La Califfa.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The New World - James Horner

This is a wonderful collection of James Horner's greatest hits. Southall was right when he said this was one of the best film score albums of the decade. Good God what a superb listen!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The New World - James Horner

This is a wonderful collection of James Horner's greatest hits. Southall was right when he said this was one of the best film score albums of the decade. Good God what a superb listen!

-Erik-

Agreed. "All Is Lost" is one of the most tragic cues I've ever heard. sad sad

The song at the end is lovely, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Skipped it! vomit

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2010 edited
    NP: The Last Airbender - James Newton Howard

There is some extraordinary writing in this score and Shawn Murphy's crisp recording is probably the main reason I want to return to this score but the lack of a proper, fully developed, in your face, instantly recognizable THEME is the scores only undoing!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Lethal Weapon - Michael Kamen

A quintessential 80's action score! Brilliant!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Skipped it! vomit

-Erik-

I only ever listen to it in complete solitude on my headphones where everyone is at least 100 meters away... but I think it's a lovely song. She has great voice.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : OUTLAND - Jerry Goldsmith

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ALASKA - Reg Powell

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: POTC: Dead Man's chest

4 years ago I really hated this score. So I do now.

But Jack Sparrow and The kraken tracks will be some of my most played tracks ever. punk punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yer kiddin me!??
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I like it.

*singsong voice* I'm a better Zimmer fan than Jordi! cheesy

*waits for Jordi to say that he is actually a better Zimmer fan because a true fan is able to recognize that his heros will not always live up to expectations, that he is able to be more honest about Zimmer*
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Wait, so four years ago you hated the score....and the big revelation is you still hate the score? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Wait, so four years ago you hated the score....and the big revelation is you still hate the score? biggrin

My revalations are as good as Lost revelations was.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Which wasn't good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oi, OI!

Keep it for the Lost thread, mkay? angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Who'd have thought it was all in Vincent's mind? rolleyes slant