• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2010
    Anthony wrote
    Who'd have thought it was all in Vincent's mind? rolleyes slant

Hahah you've seen that alternative ending video, right? smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2010 edited
    spin dizzy *spas-attack* dizzy spin

Yah, better not post it as it does spoil the ending.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hey, What? HEY!
    DUDE!
    cry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Abyss - Alan Silvestri

Classic 1980's Silvestri film music! A great score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Shrek Forever After - HGW

I'm 10 tracks in and not wowed by anything. It's fair.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    spin dizzy *spas-attack* dizzy spin

It's all a plot by wellness centres? uhm
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I'm sure I'm the only one who prefer the long atmospheric tracks than the choral epic ones. I prefer the first kind of mood.

Anyway, I miss this kind of Silvestri, when he actually put soul in what he was writting.

NP: Deep Rising (Goldsmith)

While Williams was composing 70 minutes of music for A list directors with movies of 70 millions of budget....Goldsmith was composing for this.

It's like Leviathan played by a "real" orchestra and going wild. I love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I'm sure I'm the only one who prefer the long atmospheric tracks than the choral epic ones. I prefer the first kind of mood.

I think it's all magnificent. The new age electronics representing The Abyss itself. The angelic choral music to represent the aliens. And a massive orchestra to bring it all together! A well thought out and highly emotional score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    And in need of an expanded release!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2010
    Was: Rococop - Basil Poledouris

So enjoyable. The original album presentation is brilliant. I didn't bother with the recent Intrada, I wonder if it's worth it?

Then: The Mexican - Alan Silvestri

Haven't listened to it for years but it's very entertaining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Was: Rococop - Basil Poledouris

So enjoyable. The original album presentation is brilliant.

Yes. It is.

I didn't bother with the recent Intrada, I wonder if it's worth it?

Not often I say this, but yes: thre re-buy was definitely worth it. The cleaned-up sound is a marvel.
    I wish they'd do this for Conan.
  2. If he only cares for how a CD is presented, and not about the sound, he'll likely find the Intrada useless. If anything, with so few copies left (isn't it like 40 now?), might as well leave it there for those who truly do want it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS - Ennio Morricone

Genius.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2010 edited
    I´m painfully addicted to Jablonsky´s Main Theme for Prince of Persia - Forgotten Sands. I can´t get it out of my head. Its sheer power and epic mood makes me think of stuff like Conan, 13th Warrior, and similar scores (I´m not saying it has the same quaility, it just evokes fond memories without hurting).

It´s a real shame the rest of the score doesn´t hold up to that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I´m painfully addicted to Jablonsky´s Main Theme for Prince of Persia - Forgotten Sands. I can´t get it out of my head.

Same happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I played it over and over.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    NP : A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS - Ennio Morricone

Genius.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I´m painfully addicted to Jablonsky´s Main Theme for Prince of Persia - Forgotten Sands. I can´t get it out of my head. Its sheer power and epic mood makes me think of stuff like Conan, 13th Warrior, and similar scores (I´m not saying it has the same quaility, it just evokes fond memories without hurting).

It´s a real shame the rest of the score doesn´t hold up to that.

Well, i guess it would cause physica pain to be addicted to something like that wink

Don't get me wrong, i liked it too; i find it entertaining and no-brainer fun; but addicted? Nah, far from it. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I can´t help it. It replays itself in my head, again and again. If it´s not the power anthem it´s that hauntingly beautiful sequence played by the duduk (?). One of them is always there. Playing something else only helps for a short time, then it´s back.

My only hope is Inception, but I doubt it will have a theme as strong as this, if any at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I can´t help it. It replays itself in my head, again and again. If it´s not the power anthem it´s that hauntingly beautiful sequence played by the duduk (?). One of them is always there. Playing something else only helps for a short time, then it´s back.

My only hope is Inception, but I doubt it will have a theme as strong as this, if any at all.

It does have that 2 note motif with the ostinato below which is featured in the trailers, heard in at last one track in the official score album and which is talked about here. Also check out the inception / hans zimmer topics if you haven't already smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tried to perform the 2nd ever spin of

MARC STREITENFIELD - american gangster

Why do i even try.....:sigh:
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    @ Inception: Yeah, I know, and I like it a lot, but for now, the samples and the trailer music alone won´t help. Theme beats motif, so to say. I guess it will change after watching the movie, or if Zimmer´s score really has something special here and there. But thanks for pointing it out, anyway.

It´s not that I´m suffering from the replay, though; I still love the theme, very much so. I just don´t know what happens when I get tired of it. ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Tried to perform the 2nd ever spin of

MARC STREITENFIELD - american gangster

Why do i even try.....:sigh:

Because there are almost unlimited pieces of music out there...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Theme beats motif

Now THAT should be emblazoned in 2 feet letters on a gold plaque on each studio wall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Yay.

Just got the newest bunch of Doctor Who novels. Now it´s the new Doctor´s Theme from Series 5 on head-replay. I´m not sure that´s better. ^^

Any news on any kind of availability of the 2009 specials scores or when / if there will be a Series 5 scores...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DAVID BUCKLEY - the forbidden kingdom

If you manage to get past the quite annoying asian-flavored mickey mousing-filled first half of the album (that is from (and including) 'don't forget to breath' onwards), you'll end up with a stunning symphonic score full of broad themes, bold melodies and choral work with dense arrangements and harmonies and rich instrumentation. Stylistically, this melodic score sounds how Zimmer would have written for such a movie if he was in fact a symphonic composer and had the momentary inspiration Badelt had in THE PROMISE / RESCUE DAWN. Underrated score which i too didn't like at first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Back to back:
    The A-Team - Alan Silvestri
    Very well produced, with a great stereo and sound design.
    All the instrumentation comes through beautifully, and some of the percussive elements are really exciting.

Too bad that it doesn't amount to too much at the end of the day.
    It's simply not that interesting. I'm sure it's all very functional in the movie (although I gather most of it is drowned out by the sound effects), but as a standalone listen it just doesn't do anything up until the very end where a nice rendition of Mike Post's classic theme finally breaks through.

Die Jagd Nach Der Heligen Lanze - Klaus Badelt
    Much more enjoyable, even though it's not extremely thematic.
    Sadly its electronic origin is very clear and makes for a slightly muddied and adynamic sound.
    Mood-wise though it's a winner, with exciting action cues matched by moody suspense cues.
    Nothing special, and at 37 tracks it's waaaaay too long, but with some judicious whittling, you're left with a very nice (if not very special) album that shows Badelt is really on the up!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote

If you manage to get past the quite annoying asian-flavored mickey mousing-filled first half of the album (that is from (and including) 'don't forget to breath' onwards), you'll end up with a stunning symphonic score full of broad themes, bold melodies and choral work with dense arrangements and harmonies and rich instrumentation. Stylistically, this melodic score sounds how Zimmer would have written for such a movie if he was in fact a symphonic composer and had the momentary inspiration Badelt had in THE PROMISE / RESCUE DAWN. Underrated score which i too didn't like at first.

Try Mike Verta's score to FORBIDDEN WARRIOR. It's available for free at www.mikeverta.com

Check out his Batman simulator ride music too, the guy's great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Try Mike Verta's score to FORBIDDEN WARRIOR. It's available for free at www.mikeverta.com

Check out his Batman simulator ride music too, the guy's great!

Thank you, i am doing so now.....who is this guy?

What's your view on Buckley's 'forbidden kingdom' btw?

beer
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I don't know, he does editing and special effects for movies too, but manages to emulate John Williams brilliantly! (just listen to Forest Escape)

I don't understand why he isn't more well known.

I need to give Forbidden Kingdom a spin again. Occasionally I'll hear one of the epic tracks when I'm out running and have the ipod on shuffle, but whenver I put it on at home in order I always turn it off because of the mickey mousing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    I need to give Forbidden Kingdom a spin again. Occasionally I'll hear one of the epic tracks when I'm out running and have the ipod on shuffle, but whenver I put it on at home in order I always turn it off because of the mickey mousing.

The mickey mousing is terrible. I feel you as it's what put me off in the first place. Listen, open the folder and toss everything before "don't forget to breath". Everything that's in it onwards and including that cue, in the 2nd half of the disk is excellent.