• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I recommend the movie highly.
    It's one of the finest, most beautiful, certainly the most visually stunning films to have come out of China yet.

Better than Hero or not? I´m absolutely in love with Hero´s cinematography.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Give it 3 months and I'll ask the same thing again Erik. rolleyes shame

Did you try my recommendations?

I did get Leningrad featuring the New York Philharmonic conducted by Leonard Bernstein.... but one look at the track listing and I knew it would have to be an album I would have to give my full undivided attention to. Unfortunately, I haven't had a full hour and 14 minutes to myself in quite sometime so I might just have to throw it on one day during a not so busy period at work.

NP: The Fall of Berlin - Dmitri Shostakovich
    Adriano conducting the Moscow Symphony Orchestra

Sublime!

-Erik-

Ahhhh! The 7th is truly sublime, the best workout I've ever heard of the symphony is by Kiril Kondrashin and the Moscow Philharmonic, a brilliant performance but, unfortunately, poorly recorded. I haven't heard the Bernstein but I have no doubt it's in good hands.

p.s. I'll try and REMEMBER NOT to bug you again next time I see you NP Shostakovitch wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Martijn wrote
    It's one of the finest, most beautiful, certainly the most visually stunning films to have come out of China yet.

I found it FAR superior on every level.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    p.s. I'll try and REMEMBER NOT to bug you again next time I see you NP Shostakovitch wink

No worries... it was just a funny coincidence.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Hallelujah Trail Elmer Bernstein

Goes well with happy summery weather... well I think it does anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'll have to agree too with liking HOUSE OF THE FLYING DAGGERS So much, from all that craze with the asian swords, sandals and flowery forests craze that hit the world those years, it's easily the most outstanding. Umebayashi delivered a beautiful score, as he always does anyway.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: Surf's Up - Mychael Danna

I love the main theme. Some of the stereotypical surfing music is less interesting to me, but the main theme more than makes up for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I want Knight and Day and Inception! crazy crazy crazy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I think it does too, a great 'feel good' score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote

Really?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just enjoy what you already have until they are released.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Hush Christopher Lee
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Yeap..but this summer is being so uninteresting...In the musical site because..
    this summer is : Ubeda, Berlin, Parties....!!! punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: Knight And Day - John Powell

It's alright. The percussion is a bit overbearing. There's not a cue without a constant beat or rhythm behind the orchestra giving the album little to no breathing room. It's not really like Mr. & Mrs. Smith as the clips suggested. The closest thing Powell's written to it is Hancock, only this lacks a decent theme and instead has a handful of serviceable motifs.

The best cue by far is Trouble On I-93 (it reminds me of Pluto Nash) followed closely by Bull Run (the latter has several pauses in it which are a bit of a bitch). They're both very exciting action cues. Rooftops is also epic. The rest of the album is full of nice mainly rhythmic music (although not just plain percussion line Green Zone).

Powell scores usually take a few listens to truly appreciate, so I'll give it 3/5 for now but it could go up to 3 and a half, but probably not higher than that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Good advice!

And in the meantime, the rest of us, let's enjoy the forum a little bit more until they're released, wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In other words, D, make the most of it before we're sick to death of hearing about it.

NP : ENEMY AT THE GATES - James Horner

Yeah, it's derivitive of other works but so what, I like it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    NP: Knight And Day - John Powell

The percussion is a bit overbearing. There's not a cue without a constant beat or rhythm behind the orchestra giving the album little to no breathing room. .

it can't be worst or more irritating than it was in Green Zone.
  1. Timmer wrote
    In other words, D, make the most of it before we're sick to death of hearing about it.

NP : ENEMY AT THE GATES - James Horner

Yeah, it's derivitive of other works but so what, I like it!

I think it's a heavily underrated score by good ol' James.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Nautilus wrote

I want peanut butter.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Martijn wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Martijn wrote

Wow. I guess I really have to check it out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Steven wrote

It goes well with anything, it's an amazing score!

NP: ID4, David Arnold

The new 2-CD edition is whoo-ahh!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    "Base Attack" is playing right now. *drool*
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  3. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Martijn wrote

I'd agree. I find House of Flying Daggers far better than Hero. Looks, story, score.

I managed to have my cover signed by Umebayashi. Maybe if I uploaded a photo of what was written sometime, someone could actually tell me what he wrote?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Miya?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010
    NP:Basic Instinct (Goldsmith)

A perfect listening for a hot sensual night. Without any doubt in my top 10 all time favourite scores.

the main theme aside, the action music really rocks. Some of the most impressive action stuff goldsmith ever composed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010 edited
    226 Suite - Requiem for Showa - Akira Senju

I love this composer's writing style. I've been following his progress since V Gundam and he hasn't let me down yet. This is a really good score. Highly symphonic, melodic, at times brooding, romantic, tragic, soulful, and most of all, gorgeously grand. A bit Mahler, a bit Beethoven, all classy music.
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Martijn wrote

I'd agree. I find House of Flying Daggers far better than Hero. Looks, story, score.

I managed to have my cover signed by Umebayashi. Maybe if I uploaded a photo of what was written sometime, someone could actually tell me what he wrote?

Should do that on my own Umebayashi autograph.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010
    Dances with Wolves - John Barry

Magnificent. Film music doesn't get better.
  5. Indeed, James, indeed.

Alexandre Desplat - New Moon

I don't give a shit about the movie, never even tried. But the score is damn beautiful, one of my favourite scores of last year and favourite Desplat scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010 edited
    HeeroJF wrote
    True, how can we pinpoint "ONES" in a career that has over 300 scores? Okay sometimes he comes up with stuff like Rampage and Il fiore delle mille et una notte, but SO many gems to make up for that. We didn't even mention the hidden masterpiece that is La venexiana.

Indeed. Another masterpiece, perhaps even more hidden, is I promessi sposi. It's a single CD filled with extraordinary music. I hear that the series should contain about 6 hours of music though, so a more complete release would be a dream come true.

Rampage and Il fiore delle mille et una notte are indeed bores. I find the latter far worse though. The dark moodiness of Rampage reminds me of White dog, and while it isn't the most exciting score in the world, I do find it listenable when I'm in the right mood.

Peter smile