• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Un Prophete - Alexandre Desplat

Good atmospheric score spoiled by unnecessary sound clips from the film added to the end of many cues. They are intrusive and add nothing to the enjoyment of the score. And to think I paid the import price for this.
  2. Yes, these sound clips are a bit of a "surprise" - and an unwelcome one at that. From what I remember of my experience with this score, aren't most of the sound clips separate from the music? Or is there a mixture of music and sound effects in some of the cues?

You've reminded me that I need to edit these tracks on my mp3 player to remove the annoying talking/SFX.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010 edited
    TheSnowLeopard wrote
    NP: Un Prophete - Alexandre Desplat

Good atmospheric score spoiled by unnecessary sound clips from the film added to the end of many cues. They are intrusive and add nothing to the enjoyment of the score. And to think I paid the import price for this.

Argh! I hate when they do that! It just destroys the entire listening experience.

If it's only at the ends of tracks, I'd rip the album to my computer and would edit the dialogue out with Audacity. Then burn a CD rom and put it in the CD case.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010
    Speaking of which, did anyone else find themselves actually enjoying the dialogue inserted into the latter part of the first cue on Baaria? I thought I would hate it, as I normally do, but the first time I heard it, I felt it had a certain ambience that was beautiful and intriguing, and that sense only increased on repeated listens. I'd still like to have a dialogue-free version, of course.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    SOLOMON KANE
    Love it, absolutely love it. Badelt's own GLADIATOR / KING ARTHUR; restrained and mature, without over the top statements but overly dramatic and melodic at places with an excellent sound quality / performance. I think it's overlooked.

I noticed this week that in this week's Radio Times Badelt's score gets a mention in a one-paragraph review of the recent DVD release: "...Badelt's rousing score..."

Usually this magazine's complaining how intrusive music is in the programmes/films they talk about!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    plindboe wrote
    If it's only at the ends of tracks, I'd rip the album to my computer and would edit the dialogue out with Audacity. Then burn a CD rom and put it in the CD case.

It's certainly something I tend to do when I'm putting them on my mp3 player. I even edit down some really long music tracks (on other CDs) and just highlight the more enjoyable segments. Zimmer's Crimson Tide springs to mind. A 5-minute summary's better than one of these 15-20 minute cues!

NP: Heaven and Earth - Kitaro

Not a word I use often but "Heaven and Earth (Land Theme)" is sublime!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Scribe wrote
    Speaking of which, did anyone else find themselves actually enjoying the dialogue inserted into the latter part of the first cue on Baaria? I thought I would hate it, as I normally do, but the first time I heard it, I felt it had a certain ambience that was beautiful and intriguing, and that sense only increased on repeated listens. I'd still like to have a dialogue-free version, of course.

Even though I normally loath dialogue, I'm one of the few people who don't find that too bad either. The way the voices fade in and out makes it quite atmospheric and gives it a nostalgic feel. I just wish it had been an independent track put at the end of the album, as the first 7 minutes would work much better on its own.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    plindboe wrote

It's certainly something I tend to do when I'm putting them on my mp3 player. I even edit down some really long music tracks (on other CDs) and just highlight the more enjoyable segments. Zimmer's Crimson Tide springs to mind. A 5-minute summary's better than one of these 15-20 minute cues!

That's a good idea. Zimmer's score is great, but those ridiculously long suites isn't the best representation.

Peter smile
  4. If it's only at the ends of tracks, I'd rip the album to my computer and would edit the dialogue out with Audacity. Then burn a CD rom and put it in the CD case.
    Peter smile

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try.

I don't mind Baaria because it's only one cue. Sometimes the insertion of dialogue seems completely random. Both "Monolgue" from Andrey Sigle's Alexandra is filled with dialogue, and (I think) "I waited for 50 Years" from Lee-Dong Jun's Taegukgi even has one character crying!! In both cases the underlying score is wonderful but the cue is unlistenable unless I can lift the dialogue from the track.

I still think Blade Runner to be the one example where the dialogue is used brilliantly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    TheSnowLeopard wrote
    I still think Blade Runner to be the one example where the dialogue is used brilliantly.

Indeed, that's one of the rare cases where it actually works.

I think the usual problem when dialogue is included is that some album producers are under the impression that anyone who buys a film score CD must surely be a huge fan of the movie, and will buy the album for this reason alone, and not because they find the music enjoyable on its own. Therefore, according to this thinking, littering the album with dialogue from the movie must surely be appreciated. This kind of thinking depresses me. As if they can't realize that the music can have any independent quality.

Of course, another reason could be that they're merely trying to increase the album playing time. There could also be weird economic reasons for why they fill it up with dialogue instead of music.

Peter smile
  5. FalkirkBairn wroteFrom what I remember of my experience with this score, aren't most of the sound clips separate from the music? Or is there a mixture of music and sound effects in some of the cues]

From memory, they are separate for the most part, and certainly can be edited out. Though there is one track where the sound clip continues into the beginning of another (Le Pouvior).
  6. plindboe wrotethat anyone who buys a film score CD must surely be a huge fan of the movie, and will buy the album for this reason alone, and not because they find the music enjoyable on its own.

They certainly make sure that the music is tied to the movie as some kind of ancillary product rather than an artistic creation in it's own right. It would make sense for say the Twilight films and other summer movies, but why for a long, violent art house prison movie??
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Dances with Wolves - John Barry

Magnificent. Film music doesn't get better.

FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Basic Instinct (Goldsmith)

A perfect listening for a hot sensual night. Without any doubt in my top 10 all time favourite scores.

the main theme aside, the action music really rocks. Some of the most impressive action stuff goldsmith ever composed.

Great, GREAT score, but the action music is way down on a list of great action music from a master ( sorry, THE master ) of the genre.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    plindboe wrote
    Indeed. Another masterpiece, perhaps even more hidden, is I promessi sposi. It's a single CD filled with extraordinary music. I hear that the series should contain about 6 hours of music though, so a more complete release would be a dream come true.

Rampage and Il fiore delle mille et una notte are indeed bores. I find the latter far worse though. The dark moodiness of Rampage reminds me of White dog, and while it isn't the most exciting score in the world, I do find it listenable when I'm in the right mood.

Peter smile

Hm! I promessi sposi must be hidden if I've never even heard of it!! I'll definitely put it on my Morricone radar.

Oh, White Dog is definitely listenable!! I couldn't be happier with an FSM Morricone release. But I find Rampage simply boring and Il fiore delle mille et una notte outright irritating. Some scores are merely uninteresting and disappointing (like Treasure of the Four Crowns) but this one is nothing short of painful. I can just conclude one thing: it must've worked wonders in the movie.

Actually I lied, I just thought of another FSM Morricone release that's easily ten times better than White Dog: The Five-Man Army!!! WHAT a score! Possibly my favourite limited edition release of 2009.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Scribe wrote

I agree. These bits of dialogue somehow seem like an intrinsic part of the music. I always felt they'd been inserted there by Morricone himself. Superb score and super first track.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    In other words, D, make the most of it before we're sick to death of hearing about it.

NP : ENEMY AT THE GATES - James Horner

Yeah, it's derivitive of other works but so what, I like it!

I think it's a heavily underrated score by good ol' James.

It's become one of my personal favorite scores by Horner. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Dances with Wolves - John Barry

Magnificent. Film music doesn't get better.

Absolutely gorgeous; i've literally melted that lp to the point those percussive cues sound a bit...weird wink

PawelStroinski wrote
    Indeed, James, indeed.

Alexandre Desplat - New Moon

I don't give a shit about the movie, never even tried. But the score is damn beautiful, one of my favourite scores of last year and favourite Desplat scores.

If you ever try to watch that gigantic pile of brain-corrupting gay glitter vamp crap your eyes will literally bleed; believe me.

But the score, oh the score is sublime; i think along with LUST, CAUTION, BIRTH and THE GIRL WITH THE PEARL EARRING, this is one of my favorite Desplat moments.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    Indeed. Another masterpiece, perhaps even more hidden, is I promessi sposi. It's a single CD filled with extraordinary music. I hear that the series should contain about 6 hours of music though, so a more complete release would be a dream come true.

Now WHY don't I have this? WHY!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What is this?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A soundtrack, I believe.
    One of those musical accompaniments you often find in films to punctuate or underscore certain emotions or actions in certain scenes.

This particular one was written by an Italian.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Unfortunately the I promessi sposi CD is very difficult to find, but luckily some dude has uploaded it all on youtube. Of course it's always better to hear it on CD, but the videos can at least give an impression of the album.

Here's the gorgeous main theme. In my top10 of favourite Morricone tracks. The viola solo is one of my favourite moments in film music.

The extraordinary Addio monti. This piece deserves to be world famous. It can take some listens before you start to get it though. I didn't get it at first, but now it's one of my favourite Morricone pieces.

Fra' Cristoforo e il pane del perdono. Just as sublime quality as Addio monti. Pure Ennio.

Just a few highlights. The album has several others.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Or download it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Indeedy. That's my advice too. Better to have mp3's than nothing at all.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Peter, thanks a lot. I just listened to the clips you linked to. It's magnificent! shocked
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's out of print, so I guess there's no harm in downloading it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I'm happy you like it Bregt!!

Peter spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    For anyone who liked the three I promessi sposi clips above, here's a couple other selections.

La monaca di Monza. Another wonderful theme from the album. I love how the viola and the flute do their own thing but also support each other.

La rivolta del pane. This might not be for everyone, but I think it's a very cool track. The first 2½ minutes is moody build up, but it's immense when it really gets going. It even sounds like Conan the barbarian at times.

Peter punk
  8. The Bread Revolt?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Bread Revolt?

Probably riots due to food shortages or something. Funny title, but I'm sure it's a dramatic scene.

Peter smile