• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nostromo - E Morricone

Masterpiece!

Masterpiece!

Masterpiece!

Masterpiece!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010 edited
    Looks like you guys are stuck in limbo ... rolleyes
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Party pooper.

At least we got 4 before the chain was broken which is a world record.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Prince of Persia ~ HGW

I keep revisiting it. One of the favourites of this year for me! Excellent! punk
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Couldn´t agree more.

--

NP: Hans Zimmer - Inception

Simply amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Agree with both of you; 2010 was very good 'till now and there's even the fall / xmas to come which usually bring more good scores; eager to see if it'll proove better than the outstanding 2009.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. I have highest hopes for Desplat´s Harry Potter score.
    Do we know already whether he´ll do both parts or not? I missed the definite info.

Narnia could be great as well. I really wonder what Arnold will do with the fantasy genre.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I think the Part II composer is still not confirmed, but I'm pretty sure he'll do it unless John Williams agrees to come on board. The latest ABC sneakpeeks for both parts listed only Desplat as the composer though.

I'm really excited for Narnia as well, and Alan Menken's Tangled too. cool
  2. DemonStar wrote
    I think the Part II composer is still not confirmed, but I'm pretty sure he'll do it unless John Williams agrees to come on board. The latest ABC sneakpeeks for both parts listed only Desplat as the composer though.

Thanks! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I'd bet good money it'll be Desplat as well, and I don't think there'll be official confirmation. It's being marketed as two parts of the same film, and also treated by the director as one film that's being shot simultaneously, it's just split up for convenience purposes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    plindboe wrote
    Party pooper.

moon biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  3. BobdH wrote
    I'd bet good money it'll be Desplat as well, and I don't think there'll be official confirmation. It's being marketed as two parts of the same film, and also treated by the director as one film that's being shot simultaneously, it's just split up for convenience purposes.

We´ll see. I would certainly love to see him getting a chance to compose some full circle epic stuff. I am still sad he never got the opportunity to show us how those awesome themes from Golden Compass would have grown and developed over the course of the trilogy. It would be a shame if they gave him Part I of Potter and not let him finish it up, again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    It would also be very weird...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Inception - Hans Zimmer

While the the score is fascinating on CD I felt that the music as heard in the film distracted more than complemented. I found most of it to be sonic wallpaper at times wondering why in the music was even there. It played almost over everything seemingly non stop for 2 and half hours. At times I just wished the music would have stopped.

Plus, it was battling the sound effects over the course of the final act which make Zimmer's incredibly annoying synths (I've never liked them) even more intolerable. It was a battle over what could be louder... the music or the sound effects. It nearly gave me a headache. If I were teaching a course on the use of music in film THIS score would be near the top of my list of how NOT to score a film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Couldn't disagree more smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

While the the score is fascinating on CD
    -Erik-

Seriously? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Seriously? shocked

Yeah... Zimmer does a lot of interesting things with his synth set up especially the build up on some of the soothing textures but as I said previously this score is one MAJOR distraction in the film. It's not all goodt but it's listenable.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Seriously? shocked

Yeah... Zimmer does a lot of interesting things with his synth set up especially the build up on some of the soothing textures but as I said previously this score is one MAJOR distraction in the film. It's not all goodt but it's listenable.

-Erik-

I think it's a brilliant CD. Zimmer's best since Thin Red Line. Interestingly, I also imagined to myself that it could work really well in the film, simply from me imagining how it functions there rather than actually seeing it - so it will be interesting to see what I think after I do watch it, given your comments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Seriously? shocked

-Erik-

I think it's a brilliant CD. Zimmer's best since Thin Red Line. Interestingly, I also imagined to myself that it could work really well in the film, simply from me imagining how it functions there rather than actually seeing it - so it will be interesting to see what I think after I do watch it, given your comments.

you said the same about Frost/nixon James... wink

PS: i think he doesn't make interesting things with the synth, since Vangelis has done this kind of stuff for 30 years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote

Are you sure? I don't think I did.

PS: i think he doesn't make interesting things with the synth, since Vangelis has done this kind of stuff for 30 years.

Well, you could say that about virtually any music by anyone. Lots of composers have been doing great things with orchestras for hundreds of years, but it doesn't mean Star Wars isn't good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : IT'S MY PARTY - Basil Poledouris

Lovely.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Are you sure? I don't think I did.

Yes, I'm sure. In fact it was wrotte in your review.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh. So I did. This time I'm right.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : POSSESSION - Gabriel Yared

Beautiful.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've just been saying a Hans Zimmer score is brilliant, and I'm about to say a chronological-and-complete limited edition release is better than the original album. I think I may be seriously ill.

The Edge - Jerry Goldsmith

I loved the original album and the score's highlights were certainly all on it, but actually the unreleased stuff makes this into an even better album - much of it is a bit "softer" than the released material, giving some light relief in between the harder-edged action and suspense music. Love it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Maybe your head is filled with Kenyan brain eating mice?
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Agree with both of you; 2010 was very good 'till now and there's even the fall / xmas to come which usually bring more good scores; eager to see if it'll proove better than the outstanding 2009.

I actually started a post to disagree with you and suggest my opinion that this year has actually been slow. last year seemed by a better-than-average year for film scores and I thought that we've really probably only had about six scores so far this year that I would consider strong scores. By comparison, last year by this point the best scores (in my opinion) that had been released were Coraline, Knowing, Star Trek and Angels and Demons (sort of). I know several people liked The Young Victoria, Cheri, and The Uninvited as well, but I still haven't heard those. I'd say our scores so far this year are at least as good as that bunch, aren't they? I'm going to agree with you and say we've had a pretty good year so far.
  5. Erik Woods wrote

While the the score is fascinating on CD I felt that the music as heard in the film distracted more than complemented. I found most of it to be sonic wallpaper at times wondering why in the music was even there. It played almost over everything seemingly non stop for 2 and half hours. At times I just wished the music would have stopped.

I was hoping the relatively short album was an indication that the film was a bit more sparely scored. So much for that!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorredgrange
    Dragonslayer -- North

My appreciation of this score grows with every listen. Not everyone's cup of tea, I'm sure, but I find it stunning. I must get more North.

The sound on the new LaLa-Land release is great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I was hoping the relatively short album was an indication that the film was a bit more sparely scored. So much for that!

I thought it was pretty sparsely scored. I really didn't have the same impression as Erik at all. And it's NOT because I'm a Zimmer fan. I appreciate minimalistic spotting. I just saw the Dark Knight again last night and I thought the lack of score during the chase scene is brilliant.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!