• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Nixon has just finished, listening to the final track The Farewell Scene I just couldn't help but think about those family and friends that are no longer with me, when it comes to 'reflective poignancy' John Williams has no equal IMO.

Uhhh...Thomas Newman's entire career is defined by "reflective poignancy". wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2010
    I think he is wonderful but there are far greater composers than John, something which he'll agree with.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - David Arnold

First listen! smile
  2. NP: End Credits - Let Me In (Michael Giacchino)

Great suite, with a nice main theme, which sounds like a lost cousin of Eli's Theme. Both are very tragic themes, which has emotion and beauty. Also I just watched the film, and I think that it's as good as the Swedish one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    NP : NIXON - John Williams

A fantastic score and rarely mentioned here.

yeah
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2010
    NP: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie - Revell

Probably Revell's finest work overall. I really want to see an expanded re-release or a re-recording, since the mixing leaves a lot to be desired.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2010
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Nixon has just finished, listening to the final track The Farewell Scene I just couldn't help but think about those family and friends that are no longer with me, when it comes to 'reflective poignancy' John Williams has no equal IMO.

Yeah, he possibly comes closest.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Matt C wrote

Probably Revell's finest work overall. I really want to see an expanded re-release or a re-recording, since the mixing leaves a lot to be desired.

indeed, amazing orchestral score. This would be a wonderful candidate for a re recording someday smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA - JOHN WILLIAMS

Regrettably the second half of the album isn't as interesting as the first half, but the fact is there is some stunningly gorgeous music here, worthy of the Williams name.

'Becoming a Geisha' makes me melt every time. love

Love the film as well, Zhang Ziyi is just as stunning as the theme written for her character.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA - JOHN WILLIAMS

Regrettably the second half of the album isn't as interesting as the first half, but the fact is there is some stunningly gorgeous music here, worthy of the Williams name.

Love the film as well, Zhang Ziyi is just as stunning as the theme written for her character.

I love "Confluence". Yo Yo Ma makes the cello sound like it's weeping along with the characters in the film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2010 edited
    NP : ALIEN - Jerry Goldsmith

Ahhhhhh so romantic.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA - JOHN WILLIAMS

I agree, much of the score is minimalist Asian rambling with the one of the themes being a cast-off of Schinder's List
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    uhm
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Poltergeist - Goldsmith

This new remastered edition has greatly improved sound from the old Rhino release.
    Sounds the way I've always wished it would.
    The bonus alternative cues are very interesting too.
    If you truly appreciate this Goldsmith masterpiece then I highly recommend the new FSM release!
    Bliss! cool
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Matt C wrote

indeed, amazing orchestral score. This would be a wonderful candidate for a re recording someday smile

Based on the subject matter.... I don't think that will ever happen.
  6. Atham wrote
    NP: Poltergeist - Goldsmith

This new remastered edition has greatly improved sound from the old Rhino release.
    Sounds the way I've always wished it would.
    The bonus alternative cues are very interesting too.
    If you truly appreciate this Goldsmith masterpiece then I highly recommend the new FSM release!
    Bliss! cool

Oh my... looks like I will have to get it then.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. TERMINAL VELOCITY - JOEL MCNEELY

I can't believe I never heard this before now. I knew McNeely could write some kickass music, but this is right up my alley. The three final cues are wonderful and so very 90s (something which you don't hear often anymore). It rocks, and btw bring back McNeely for good old-fashioned action scoring!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Surely not "entire". Exhibit A-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sWll2mqPD0

Peter smile
  8. Multiple scores again for suite purposes; scores I either didn't care for, or like enough to want to hear again, but decided to see if I could get enough out of them for said suites:

"Below"
    By: Graeme Revell

A weak score. Not as bad as "Until the End of the World", but just weak overall, including many orchestration parts, and way too much synth scapes in cues and crashing hits for creepiness.
    The whole thing sounds like maybe Revell had little time to compose the score. At least two cues are remarkably similar in compositional style to cues from two other composers from projects that came just a few years before this film -- I would speculate he had some help on the film, as there's no way one of them would have been used as a temp track...

Low second-grade Revell material.

"Chain Reaction"
    By: Jerry Goldsmith

Also low second-grade material. Makes me wish James Newton Howard had scored the film as originally intended. MAde three suites from it, two rather strong, but even then I find myself trying to give a damn. I think this is the first Goldsmith score I would categorize as the bridge from his good scoring, to his later tired, paint-by-numbers Jerry efforts -- you hear some brief inspired moments, but over all yoi can hear he was bored senseless and on auto pilot.

"G.I. Janes"
    By: Trevor Jones

I wouldn't say this is "bad" per se, but it's not good, and it's certainly not my cup-of-tea.

"The Jackel
    By: Carter Burwell

I had recalled enjoying the score, based on the film. First complete listen to the old boot I've had for years (there's a new, longer one out there since then).

I didn't find that enjoyment this time. The score has a theme, but as a whole it barely comes together, and often times just switches around to meet what's happening on hte screen -- certainly not the way someone like Goldsmith, or even Elfman many times, would do it.

Over all it's just boring; I wonder how many Burwell fans that list this as a favorite, have actually given it a complete, stand alone listen.

Having said that, I am very fond of the first 1:30 of one cues, which easilly made it's way into a suite. The cue also has a notable resemblence in structure to a cue from "Serenity" (David Newman) -- a film Burwell was originally scoring...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. justin boggan wrote
    "G.I. Janes"

I wouldn't say this is "bad" per se, but it's not good, and it's certainly not my cup-of-tea.

I like the rock-flavoured cues a lot. I'd say it's a better than average Jones score and should it ever be released expanded I'd get it for sure.
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    TERMINAL VELOCITY - JOEL MCNEELY

I can't believe I never heard this before now. I knew McNeely could write some kickass music, but this is right up my alley. The three final cues are wonderful and so very 90s (something which you don't hear often anymore). It rocks, and btw bring back McNeely for good old-fashioned action scoring!

haha, told you so smile

Cadillac Freefall is one of the best action cues ever written punk

I also recommend Iron Will, I call it Williams music not written by Williams smile
  11. Hot damn 'Cadillac Freefall'. Not only does the track name sound cool, the music is too...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    "G.I. Janes"

I like the rock-flavoured cues a lot. I'd say it's a better than average Jones score and should it ever be released expanded I'd get it for sure.

For me this score is seriously below average Trevor Jones, hated it!
  12. NP: Suite from Lluvia En Los Zapatos - (Ángel Illarramendi 199-2005 2CD compilation)

One of the best cues ever written by Illarramendi. It's weird that this music is from a romantic comedy (with Penelope Cruz), and Illarramendi made such a tragic and emotional theme, played with the strings.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I also recommend Iron Will, I call it Williams music not written by Williams smile

I call it Desert Chase.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin applause
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry

A masterpiece!

For anyone not familiar with this score ( shame on you if there are any? ) here's a lovely suite on youtube.

THE LION IN WINTER SUITE

Anyone know who the conductor is? I think it may be Rumon Gamba??
  13. Anthony wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I call it Desert Chase.

oh, one frakking rip off and you start calling names tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    "G.I. Janes"

For me this score is seriously below average Trevor Jones, hated it!

It's a bad copy of a bad Zimmer era.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    uhm

Double that. "Asian rumbling?" ?!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.