• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Really creepy. The professional 'nothing could go wrong' quality of that picture juxtaposed with its known fate is a very creepy (and of course tragic) thought.

It is isn't it!

What gets me is the thought of all those people on board looking forward to seeing loved ones, others looking forward to a dream holiday etc...tragic.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009
    Airbus has now lost its second plane in a month. Yemenia Flight 626 has crashed into the Indian Ocean today during a flight from Sana'a, Yemen to Moroni, Comoros. 142 people were on board although only 5 confirmed fatalities have been announced and even one survivor.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/8126367.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yemenia_Flight_626
  1. indeed, freaky this suddenly happens so soon after one another
    so far only a 5 year old kid seemed to have survived

but his must give hope for the future, it can't be he'll be the only one
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. LSH wrote
    Airbus has now lost its second plane in a month...

The Yemen airline has a pretty poor safety record so maybe that's more important on this occasion than the make of aircraft being a contributing factor?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    LSH wrote
    Airbus has now lost its second plane in a month...

The Yemen airline has a pretty poor safety record so maybe that's more important on this occasion than the make of aircraft being a contributing factor?

Don't worry, I really wasn't implying that at all Alan - was just an observation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009
    Air France's 5 year old aircraft (which will eventually be proven to be a crash due to failure of adequate and timely response by the crew to a rapid abnormality that started from ice build-up on the pitot sensors) has nothing to do with a third-world country and an airline that shouldn't be flying in the first place, and a 20+ year old plane, with crew of questionable knowledge and training.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009
    Sad but true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009 edited
    Very thorough new detail coming up, it seems that the plane hit the sea surface very violently, in a flat notion and on high vertical speed / very aggressively and the initial scenarios about mid-air break-up or explosion are most possibly to be ruled out entirely.

- No technical problems with the airplane before the takeoff.
    - The airplane did NOT break up in flight.
    - The 24 ACARS messages refer to the loss of airspeed (pitot tubes)
    - The airplane also lost information about the direction the airplane was going to.
    - The airplane hit the ocean in a flat attitude at high vertical speed.
    - Weather was a classic ITZ scenario.

Lots of info and sequence of known event so far, at
    http://avherald.com/h?article=41a81ef1/0037&opt=0

Preliminary report in English:
    http://www.bea.aero/docspa/2009/f-cp090 … 1e1.en.pdf

During the Press Conference the BEA stated that they would "listen" for the CVR and FDR for another 10 days and then they would continue the search with another method (sonar?) "until these units were found"

It was also stated that the aircraft impacted the sea tail first slight bank to the left and almost flat. This conclusion reached from evidence on the VS, which was torn from the fuselage aft to forward, the galley tray damage and pieces of the cabin floor which were bulged upwards. It was also stated that the A/C accelerated to the surface of the sea. He also stated that the A/C did not call Senegal and three other aircraft crew interviewed, who flew the route within 30 mins of AF447, had encountered moderate turbulence and had diverted from 10 to 80 kilometers from course to minimise the impact of this. These A/C also heard nothing from AF447. The pitot problems were stated to be "involved in the incident but not the sole cause" No sign of the presentation being posted on the net as yet.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Sad thing is that the search for the black boxes will only last 10 more days from today and if nothing's found after that, search stops, and we never find out what happened.

I can't understand why they can't place a tracking system in the black boxes? Sort of a GPS system? This could be so easy. Or it is money related?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009
    I edited the above. The remaining 10 days is the time limit in which they'll continue to "listen" and try to pick up the signal transmitted by the black boxes, after that they stop doing it, due to manufacturing restrictions (power supply dies) and the agency is probably going to sonar them. We'll see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Also very interesting:

Flights preceding and following AF447:

Quote:
    Flight LH507 (B747-400) preceded flight AF447 by about twenty minutes at FL350. The crew reported that it flew at the upper limit of the cloud layer and then in the clouds in the region of ORARO. In this zone they saw green echoes on the radar on their path, which they avoided by changing their route by about ten nautical miles to the west. While flying through this zone, which took about fifteen minutes, they felt moderate turbulence and did not observe any lightning. They lowered their speed to the speed recommended in turbulent zones. They saw bright St Elmo’s fire on the windshield on the left-hand side. The crew listened into the 121.5 MHz frequency throughout the flight without hearing any message from AF447.

Flight IB6024 (Airbus A340) passed at the level of the ORARO waypoint at FL370 approximately twelve minutes after AF447. The crew saw AF447 take off while taxiing at Rio de Janeiro. When passing the INTOL waypoint, they encountered conditions typical of the inter-tropical convergence zone. These conditions were particularly severe 70 NM to 30 NM before the TASIL waypoint. They moved away from the route by about 30 NM to the east to avoid cumulonimbus formations with a significant vertical development, and then returned to the airway in clear skies close to the TASIL waypoint.

Flight AF459 (Airbus A330-203) passed at the level of the ORARO waypoint approximately 37 minutes after l’AF447. The sky was clear but the half-moon, visible to the aft left of the aircraft, did not make it possible to see the contour of the cloud mass distinctly. After flying through a turbulent zone
    in the head of a cumulus congestus formation at the level of NATAL, without having detected this zone on the radar, he selected gain in MAX mode. At about 2 h 00, he observed a first echo that differed significantly depending on whether the radar’s gain was in CAL or MAX mode. The TILT was set between -1° and 1.5°. He decided to take evasive action to the west, which resulted in a deviation of 20 NM to the left of the route. During this evasive
    action, a vast squall line with an estimated length of 150 NM appeared on the screen, which was set to a scale of 160 NM. The echoes were yellow and red when the radar was set with gain on the MAX position and green and yellow when the gain was on the CAL position. No lightning was observed.
    ATLANTICO control, informed by the crew of their decision to avoid this squall line by taking evasive action to the east, asked them to return to the airway as soon as they could. This evasive action meant the aircraft flew between 70 and 80 NM to the right of the planned route. In addition, the crew was authorised to climb from FL350 to FL370.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    I edited the above. The remaining 10 days is the time limit in which they'll continue to "listen" and try to pick up the signal transmitted by the black boxes, after that they stop doing it, due to manufacturing restrictions (power supply dies) and the agency is probably going to sonar them. We'll see.

ah, so there's a signal. Ah well, hope they find it, would be important for the people who lost someone
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not only for them, but the entire industry.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009
    Hey D, I'm going to the Fairford Airshow on 18th this month ( first one I've ever been to ), I'll have to borrow a digital camera so I can show some pics.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You must mate, you must! I'll be waiting, get close ups!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Will do beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009
    FRIGGIN CROCODILES ON A PLANE!

http://avherald.com/h?article=41d89262&opt=0

Incident: Egypt Air A320 enroute on Jul 31st 2009, crocodile on board
    By Simon Hradecky, created Friday, Jul 31st 2009 17:51Z, last updated Friday, Jul 31st 2009 17:51Z

An Egypt Air Airbus A320-200, flight MS-917 from Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates) to Cairo (Egypt), was enroute, when passengers noticed a young crocodile about 30cm (1 foot) in length wandering around the airplane causing quite some excitement amongst the passengers prompting cabin crew to engage as "Crocodile Dundee" and catch the animal. The airplane continued to Cairo and landed safely, the crocodile was brought to the local zoo.

Police is investigating, how the crocodile got on board. All passengers deny, that they brought the animal on board.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009
    If Paul Hogan was on the flight he'd be my first suspect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009
    Timmer wrote
    If Paul Hogan was on the flight he'd be my first suspect.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009
    Extremely low and loud fly by! Turn the volume up!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=584_1251673527
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cool cool punk

Long time thread no see.

p.s. The plane in the clip is NOT an F-18 Hornet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know, it's prob a mirage. See the comments below smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009 edited
    A Rafale?

Even freeze framing doesn't make it clear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009
    Lesson 1. Airlines to NEVER fly under any circumstance.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=68e_1252036365
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009
    D, any chance of some B-1 bomber pics?

Like my request for the Valkyrie XB-70 pics you got for me there is reason behind this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No worries mate, i'll look it up tomorrow!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No rush D smile beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009
    Those gorgeous looking French Mirage videos again!

Mirage Jets In Flight - Aerial Acrobatics- gorgeous photography.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=79b_1256168484
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009
    Stunning! Truly stunning!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009
    Amazing footage and very spot-on commentary

Exclusive time-lapse footage of US Airways Flight 1549 recovery.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=37b_1259024146