• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2011
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Barry - Hammett

WHAT A BRILLIANT JAZZY THEME. A pretty good score, I think one of my favourites by thee composer. Hans has a great taste. I should thank him for reminding me of this gem.

It's a very fine little score, it took years to get released, decades even. I get irritated when I see some people here at this very board moaning about some score to a recent film or TV series being delayed by a matter of weeks or months, they just don't appreciate how fucking spoilt they are nowadays.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    LSH wrote
    Although Newman's slowed down quite a bit in recent years, I'm holding out hope that he'll produce something special amongst his forthcoming projects. The Debt and The Adjustment Bureau are imminent and I'm looking forward to both, providing they get released.

I look forward to this happening every day.

Someone at FSM [b]TerryLee) said they saw an advance screening of TAB and really liked his score.

EDIT. He jsut replied with:

Definitely the traditional Newman. Parts of it reminded me of "Road to Perdition", other parts "Angels in America" and "Shawshank Redemption". Not breakthrough stuff by any means, but if you like Thomas Newman I think you'd enjoy this one.

Souns awesome to me. Now if only the description translates into awesome music.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. justin boggan wrote
    Someone at FSM [b]TerryLee) said they saw an advance screening of TAB and really liked his score.

EDIT. He jsut replied with:

Definitely the traditional Newman. Parts of it reminded me of "Road to Perdition", other parts "Angels in America" and "Shawshank Redemption". Not breakthrough stuff by any means, but if you like Thomas Newman I think you'd enjoy this one.

Souns awesome to me. Now if only the description translates into awesome music.

:explodes from excitement:
  3. Nautilus wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    If that sounds fucking amazing, I shudder to think what The Battle of Hoth would sound like.

Older. :P

No shit Mr. Holmes. tongue

You forgot "more friggin' awesome".
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. KOYAANISQATSI - PHILIP GLASS

Listening to the 6 track presentation seems more than enough for me. I don't think I could take another 30 minutes of non-stop repetitive music.

This album however is very good. Because it's based on themes and harmony. And is just the right length.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: Weathering Continent - Michiru Oshima
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    The Illusionist - Philip Glass

One of his best film scores.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

Yes, again!

Could this be the first score in years to crack my Top 10 of all time! But what will it replace?

1. Indiana Jones Trilogy (John Williams)
    2. Star Wars Trilogy (John Williams)
    3. CutThroat Island (John Debney)
    4. Back To The Future (Alan Silvestri)
    5. Medal of Honor Series (Michael Giacchino)
    6. Dances With Wolves (John Barry)
    7. Braveheart (James Horner)
    8. The Sea Hawk (Erich Wolfgang Korngold)
    9. Mutiny on the Bounty (Bronislau Kaper)
    10. Prince Valiant (Franz Waxman)

On second thought let's leave the Top 10 as is but this score is clearly Top 20 material for me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Raise the Titanic John Barry

Great re-recording from Silva. He really could convey the mysterious beauty of the underwater world brilliantly, particularly in 'The Deep' and 'Thunderball'.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Chambers wrote
    Raise the Titanic John Barry

Great re-recording from Silva. He really could convey the mysterious beauty of the underwater world brilliantly, particularly in 'The Deep' and 'Thunderball'.

You seem to have a great affinity with water, John wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. I've been listening to the first two discs of Silva's John Barry: The Collection and I've heard a great deal of wonderful tunes already. Some I've never heard before, and I was amazed he has been writing such majestic, grandiose stuff since the beginning. This varied collection of suites and themes should keep me happy for years to come. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    I've been listening to the first two discs of Silva's John Barry: The Collection and I've heard a great deal of wonderful tunes already. Some I've never heard before, and I was amazed he has been writing such majestic, grandiose stuff since the beginning. This varied collection of suites and themes should keep me happy for years to come. punk

Listening to a lot of Barry's early works you realise just how damned creative and experimental he was before he settled into a more "comfortable" style of orchestration from the early 1980's onwards, up until his moving to America in the mid 1970's John Barry orchestrated nearly every score he did himself.
  7. Thanks Tim, didn't know that. Just keep feeding me these interesting tidbits until the coming apocalypse. cheesy

Disc 3 is playing now, well not physically, I'm listening on my MP3 player here at work. Needless to say, the music is fantastic! My favourite disc so far. love

For me the performances are all-round brilliant. I've always loved the Prague Philharmonic and Nic Raine and they get the Barry sound spot on most of the times.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nic Raine orchestrated for Barry's later works ( THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS amongst them ) so he should get it pretty darn close most of the time. wink
  8. Another one... Tim is like a walking Barry-encyclopedia. beer

I don't have such knowledge of James Horner, my No. 1. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2011 edited
    It would have been Goldsmith's 82nd birthday today so I'm playing all Goldsmith today!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  9. Erik Woods wrote

Yes, again!

Could this be the first score in years to crack my Top 10 of all time! But what will it replace?

On second thought let's leave the Top 10 as is but this score is clearly Top 20 material for me.

-Erik-

YOU CHEATER !!!! You put entire trilogies, and a series consisting of 5 entries, into one spot !!!!!!

More like Top 18 of all time.

tongue wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Another one... Tim is like a walking Barry-encyclopedia. beer

I don't have such knowledge of James Horner, my No. 1. sad

I might even know more about Horner than you? wink

Hell, I've been a film music fan since 1973/4 so I should know something about this art form I love so much!? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Yes, again!

-Erik-

YOU CHEATER !!!! You put entire trilogies, and a series consisting of 5 entries, into one spot !!!!!!

More like Top 18 of all time.

tongue wink

If you don't like then moon

-Erik-
  10. Haha perfect use of the smilie... biggrin

And I don't like it... You either put Raiders first, Doom second, Crusade third. It's not fair to the scores that don't have sequels.

That's the only way top 10 lists should be done. This is the universal truth as prophecised way back when by the Almighty Scoregod XIV.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND - JOHN WILLIAMS

First listen. Surprisingly the whole Wild Signals music sounds really out of place, but the rest of it is a fantastic dark, often dissonant collection of music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    smile

I like grouping a series of scores togther because it's usually hard to pick just one. As you can see I didn't group the Back To The Future Trilogy together. Even though the third score is just as good as the first the second score is so weak that I couldn't bunch them all together the way I did with Raiders, Star Wars (notice no prequels are included) and the MOH series. It's just the way I like to roll.

-Erik-
  11. Disc 4 of John Barry Collection, you can really hear The Uber-Romantic now. Absolutely wonderful.

I must say this is one hell of a compilation, one of the best I've heard, with many known and unknown tunes, all superbly performed. And I like the fact it's not always just the main theme, there are some really interesting suites too.

Many thanks again for recommending it, Erik & Tim. This will do nicely whenever I feel the need for some Barry. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND - JOHN WILLIAMS

First listen. Surprisingly the whole Wild Signals music sounds really out of place, but the rest of it is a fantastic dark, often dissonant collection of music.

shocked

Envious!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Has Williams written stuff this dissonant in any other scores?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Don't be Erik, it's still available wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sure... Images, War of the Worlds. There are plenty of other dissonant cues scattered across Williams' resume. You should listen to some of his concert work.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Has Williams written stuff this dissonant in any other scores?

IMAGES, but it's a lot less listenable than CE3K.
  12. Erik Woods wrote
    smile

I like grouping a series of scores togther because it's usually hard to pick just one. As you can see I didn't group the Back To The Future Trilogy together. Even though the third score is just as good as the first the second score is so weak that I couldn't bunch them all together the way I did with Raiders, Star Wars (notice no prequels are included) and the MOH series. It's just the way I like to roll.

-Erik-

Roll on whichever way you like, good man! spin

And just for the record, give me your Giacchino Medal of Honor Top 5

This is mine:

1. Frontline
    2. MOH
    3. MOH:AA (basically because I added the cues from MOH and MOH:U like how they appear in the game, and they're pretty much all awesome).
    4. MOH:A
    5. MOH:U
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    War Of The Worlds isn't my thing. I'm sure I've said it before, but it feels really flat without woodwinds.

Images I've honestly never heard of.