• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2011
    The original Medal Of Honor will always be the best in my books. How every track is so memorable is beyond me.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND - JOHN WILLIAMS

First listen. Surprisingly the whole Wild Signals music sounds really out of place, but the rest of it is a fantastic dark, often dissonant collection of music.

shocked

Envious!

-Erik-

Same here! Anthony if you're really gonna get into the score after some listens, please share your thought. It's a masterpiece.

And Wild Signals is cool, at just the right time on the album. Love it!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    And just for the record, give me your Giacchino Medal of Honor Top 5

1. Medal of Honor
    2. Frontline
    3. Underground
    4. Allied Assault
    5. the other one... right... Airborne.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

First listen. Surprisingly the whole Wild Signals music sounds really out of place, but the rest of it is a fantastic dark, often dissonant collection of music.

shocked

Envious!

-Erik-

Same here! Anthony if you're really gonna get into the score after some listens, please share your thought. It's a masterpiece.

And if you get a chance listen to Charles Gerhardt's 21 minute Close Encounters suite. IMO, it's one of the finest re-recordings of all time!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    DreamTheater wrote
    Disc 4 of John Barry Collection, you can really hear The Uber-Romantic now. Absolutely wonderful.

I must say this is one hell of a compilation, one of the best I've heard, with many known and unknown tunes, all superbly performed. And I like the fact it's not always just the main theme, there are some really interesting suites too.

Many thanks again for recommending it, Erik & Tim. This will do nicely whenever I feel the need for some Barry. beer

punk

It's also how I got into Barry. I now have all his Bondscores and a couple of his more famous ones. Still, I return to this compilation often because of all these fantastic themes. It's mega!
    Kazoo
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

shocked

Envious!

-Erik-

And if you get a chance listen to Charles Gerhardt's 21 minute Close Encounters suite. IMO, it's one of the finest re-recordings of all time!

-Erik-

I have, and in all honesty I prefer the original performance. There's always something off with that re-recording. But that's because I'm convinced CE3K is pretty much flawless. Not a second of score I don't love.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Bregt wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Disc 4 of John Barry Collection, you can really hear The Uber-Romantic now. Absolutely wonderful.

I must say this is one hell of a compilation, one of the best I've heard, with many known and unknown tunes, all superbly performed. And I like the fact it's not always just the main theme, there are some really interesting suites too.

Many thanks again for recommending it, Erik & Tim. This will do nicely whenever I feel the need for some Barry. beer

punk

It's also how I got into Barry. I now have all his Bondscores and a couple of his more famous ones. Still, I return to this compilation often because of all these fantastic themes. It's mega!

You have all his Bonds? shocked

I'm seriously behind you guys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    I have, and in all honesty I prefer the original performance. There's always something off with that re-recording. But that's because I'm convinced CE3K is pretty much flawless. Not a second of score I don't love.

Off? Naaaah! IMO, they improved slightly on the original performance and recording!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Off? Naaaah! IMO, they improved slightly on the original performance and recording!

-Erik-

Did Williams arrange the suite himself? I saw him perform a suite from CE3K and it would tally with the timings.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. The original gives me goosebumps no matter what. The re-recording doesn't because it's different. Just the way my black / white brain works. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It doesn't say anything in the booklet. What I do know is that Williams' own concert version of this score is much shorter at just over 10 minutes.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2011 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    The original gives me goosebumps no matter what. The re-recording doesn't because it's different. Just the way my black / white brain works. wink

dizzy spin dizzy

Gerhardt's version, which I'm listening to now, blows me out of chair and is performed with such genuine emotion. Those string passages have never sounded better. A lot of credit for the greatness of this suite goes to K.E. Wilkinson who is arguably one of the greatest recording engineers of all time!

Also on this album is my favorite rendition of Princess Leia's Theme. Again, the strings are absolutely spot on with their performance and features a recording that, at least to me, feels much more lush and romantic than any other I've heard.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    It doesn't say anything in the booklet. What I do know is that Williams' own concert version of this score is much shorter at just over 10 minutes.

-Erik-

You're probably right, that was 1980 that I saw him and my memory plays tricks.

31 years and I haven't seen him since. slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

Yes, again!

Could this be the first score in years to crack my Top 10 of all time! But what will it replace?

I so wish I could hear in this what other people do. I've tried and tried and can't - and I'm a massive Powell fan. This wouldn't even get in my top 20 of 2010, let alone all time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    So sorry to hear of your affliction, James. Get better soon.

Have you seen the film, James?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I haven't - but I will at some stage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I had heard the score a few times before seeing the film and enjoyed it - minus the shit mix, which I fixed - but once I saw the movie... well, please allow the omg emoticon to explain to you my reaction to both film and score.

omg

'nuff said!

I've seen the film at least a dozen times and the score I've listened to at least one a week since its release.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Link - Jerry Goldsmith

I wanted to listen to some Goldsmith since it's his birthday. God only knows why I picked this. Probably because it's been years since I listened to it - and now I remember why. Maybe on February 10 2020 I'll listen to it again and post a similar message!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    Hell, I've been a film music fan since 1973/4 so I should know something about this art form I love so much!? biggrin

I just came in from a bike ride in the cold and my head is kind of dizzy as a result...I read this as "since 1937" biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. Jerry Goldsmith - Air Force One

I guess a better score than Link. Fun, if mindless, action score. The film is rather stupid. Scared Harrison Ford is not something I like to watch, I just feel like giving him a hug rather than being scared if he survives.

The score uses great snare rhythms, the Americana theme is typical, but works so well and I think The Hijacking is a huge highlight of the 90s for Goldsmith. Good work.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    I had heard the score a few times before seeing the film and enjoyed it - minus the shit mix, which I fixed - but once I saw the movie... well, please allow the omg emoticon to explain to you my reaction to both film and score.

omg

'nuff said!

I've seen the film at least a dozen times and the score I've listened to at least one a week since its release.

-Erik-

Like James, I'm an enormous Powell fan. But I wouldn't even put this in his top 10 scores. I didn't think the movie was anything special either, but I'm glad he's nominated for the Oscar regardless.
  6. In an another dimension this would be a day for celebration.

So it's appropriate to listen to Jerry, I've picked one of his final scores, which isn't too bad actually. Lots of heroic melodies and kickass rhythmic sections.

THE LAST CASTLE - JERRY 'IT'S YOUR DAY' GOLDSMITH

Shame about the glitching on the album though, the buzzing noise in some of the cues. It almost destroys my enjoyment of it. Almost!!! smile

And the songs are just highly skippable. vomit
  7. Southall wrote
    Link - Jerry Goldsmith

I wanted to listen to some Goldsmith since it's his birthday. God only knows why I picked this. Probably because it's been years since I listened to it - and now I remember why. Maybe on February 10 2020 I'll listen to it again and post a similar message!

Having never heard it, I'll won't judge until I hear it myself. Seeing this sold out so quickly it can't be THAT bad, can it?
  8. PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - Air Force One

I guess a better score than Link. Fun, if mindless, action score. The film is rather stupid. Scared Harrison Ford is not something I like to watch, I just feel like giving him a hug rather than being scared if he survives.

The score uses great snare rhythms, the Americana theme is typical, but works so well and I think The Hijacking is a huge highlight of the 90s for Goldsmith. Good work.

AFO is an awesome film, one of those actioners that just throws everything in the mix. And where exactly is Harry scared? Disturbed, maybe. On edge, definitely. But scared?
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    The original gives me goosebumps no matter what. The re-recording doesn't because it's different. Just the way my black / white brain works. wink

dizzy spin dizzy

Gerhardt's version, which I'm listening to now, blows me out of chair and is performed with such genuine emotion. Those string passages have never sounded better. A lot of credit for the greatness of this suite goes to K.E. Wilkinson who is arguably one of the greatest recording engineers of all time!

-Erik-

I think the emotional wallop from the original performances is already sufficient.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    TRON LEGACY - DAFT PUNK

I love, LOVE, LOVE this! Very quickly moving up the ranks to favourite score of 2010.
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

AFO is an awesome film, one of those actioners that just throws everything in the mix. And where exactly is Harry scared? Disturbed, maybe. On edge, definitely. But scared?

Yeah, the stress face. Scared for his life, that is.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote
    Link - Jerry Goldsmith

Having never heard it, I'll won't judge until I hear it myself. Seeing this sold out so quickly it can't be THAT bad, can it?

Yes! One of his bottom five albums, I'd say. Intrada could bring out 3,000 copies of him brushing his teeth and they'd sell out overnight - I don't think that's an indication of anything!

NP: Leviathan - Jerry Goldsmith

Not great, but most enjoyable, and nobody other than Goldsmith wrote scores like this. Very underrated.
  11. PawelStroinski wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Yeah, the stress face. Scared for his life, that is.

He has that face in Temple of Doom too you know?
  12. Southall wrote
    Intrada could bring out 3,000 copies of him brushing his teeth and they'd sell out overnight - I don't think that's an indication of anything!

What do you mean? Jerry's personal toothbrush or just a photo or clip of him brushing his teeth?