• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tom, you need to get to grips with tagging when your quoting people in your responses. wink

You'll just have to put up with my unusual ways.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    The truth about Ruth

Have played this track now 50 times in a row, since so many people called it one of the best tracks of 2010. I don't get what's good about it. Just sounds like the usual Desplat.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SNEAKERS - James Horner

This is a superb score, why it's rarely mentioned or even featured here at NP I don't know? confused

It's a definite forerunner of what was to come in scores like Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind, the track playing right now, Cosmo....Old Friend is heavilly influenced by Arvo Part ( way before JNH did it with Snow Falling On Ceders ) and Ralph Vaughan Williams and effortlessly merges the two. Interestingly the next track, The Hand Off has hints of John Williams 'Conspirators' theme from JFK though both scores are from the same year (1992).

I just had to play it again, it's quite rare I play the same score back to back. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: Kimberly (Basil Poledouris)

Charming score, with a typical charming main theme at the forefront. How he makes this theme soar in the best track "The Race" is once again a reason why Poledouris in even the smaller efforts.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011 edited
    plindboe wrote
    The truth about Ruth

Have played this track now 50 times in a row, since so many people called it one of the best tracks of 2010. I don't get what's good about it. Just sounds like the usual Desplat.

Peter smile

It's all about the layers. Desplat builds this great piece with twinkling chimes, harp and strings... very mysterious... then the choppy low strings show up and you wonder what's up? The low bass line from the main theme then begins to show its face. Desplat takes the strings up the scale and then the layers of the main theme start to show up one element at a time until everything finally comes together highlight by the sweeping strings close to the end of the track where everything is fully realized with a wonderful climax. Oh man... what a satisfying track. The first thing I think of is James Horner when I hear this cue. He is the master of building upon the layers of the orchestra that finish with brilliant climaxes and Desplat's cue is just as masterful! You really have to see the scene this cue accompanies because the score is the star of that scene... it takes a hold of the film at that point and runs with it. Brilliant scoring! As matter of fact...

NP: The Ghost Writer - Alexandre Desplat

I haven't liked a lot of Desplat's work but I'd say that this is my favorite of his!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

This is a superb score, why it's rarely mentioned or even featured here at NP I don't know? confused

It's a definite forerunner of what was to come in scores like Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind, the track playing right now, Cosmo....Old Friend is heavilly influenced by Arvo Part ( way before JNH did it with Snow Falling On Ceders ) and Ralph Vaughan Williams and effortlessly merges the two. Interestingly the next track, The Hand Off has hints of John Williams 'Conspirators' theme from JFK though both scores are from the same year (1992).

I just had to play it again, it's quite rare I play the same score back to back. cool

I only did that once before, two times in a row. Cutthroat Island: 140 minutes non stop awesomeness!! You can imagine, I couldn't go on for a third time. smile

Sneakers... it features some of Horner's most inventive writing. I like it a lot too.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Kimberly (Basil Poledouris)

Charming score, with a typical charming main theme at the forefront. How he makes this theme soar in the best track "The Race" is once again a reason why Poledouris in even the smaller efforts.

I think most of this score was written by Eric Colvin.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

-Erik-

really?
    Then my copy is saying something completely wrong, namely 'Music composed by Basil Poledouris' confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

-Erik-

really?
    Then my copy is saying something completely wrong, namely 'Music composed by Basil Poledouris' confused

I know it says that on the cover but I think most of the score was written by Eric Colvin who as you can see on the back cover is credited with "Arranged and Conducted by" I thought I read an interview with Basil that he gave a lot of the credit for this score to Colvin.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

I only did that once before, two times in a row. Cutthroat Island: 140 minutes non stop awesomeness!! You can imagine, I couldn't go on for a third time. smile

Sneakers... it features some of Horner's most inventive writing. I like it a lot too.

The last score I played twice was Prometheus release of CONAN THE BARBARIAN last year. There's a bucket load of great scores I could easily play twice, it's just that I have to be in that certain mood.

Back when I was a very young teenager I used to play albums such as Goldfinger, The Good The Bad The Ugly, Jaws and the like multiple times over.....but then I only had about 12 Lp's to my name. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Here's the answer to the Kimberly question about who composed what.

You have another romantic movie, Kimberly coming out soon. What can you tell me about that?

All of these movies were worth waiting for. They are all very different, very rewarding, and very fulfilling musically, for me. Kimberly is about a rowing team in Philadelphia who makes a bet with another rowing team and is hopelessly outgunned. Kimberly (Gabrielle Anwar) offers to help them out as their coxswain, and soon all four men fall in love with her. She becomes pregnant, and she realizes any of the four of them could be the father. It's a romantic comedy with an American setting, but it had a very serious European sensitivity to it. It's loosely based on Guy de Maupassant's short story, "Mouche". Frederic Golchan (the director) really wanted Georges Delerue to score the film - don't we all! I love Georges Delerue, and respected his work, so what I tried to do was to deliver a main title that was something Georges might have written if he were alive in the late 1990's. Eric Colvin arranged and conducted the score. I wrote some of the cues, and Eric wrote the rest. It was an interesting collaboration, and I really enjoyed it. The studio here was just humming, and it proved that I could produce an entire film score in this one location!

courtesy SoundtrackNet

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    The Ghost Writer - Alexandre Desplat

The best part is The Truth About Ruth, other than that, not that much to write home about from this highly acclaimed score.

I highly recommend watching the film. You'll see and hear how Desplat carried the film with this magnificent score!

-Erik-

Absolutely agree; Every single scene in the film breathes beautifully thanks to the cinematography and Desplat's great score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Here's the answer to the Kimberly question about who composed what.

You have another romantic movie, Kimberly coming out soon. What can you tell me about that?

All of these movies were worth waiting for. They are all very different, very rewarding, and very fulfilling musically, for me. Kimberly is about a rowing team in Philadelphia who makes a bet with another rowing team and is hopelessly outgunned. Kimberly (Gabrielle Anwar) offers to help them out as their coxswain, and soon all four men fall in love with her. She becomes pregnant, and she realizes any of the four of them could be the father. It's a romantic comedy with an American setting, but it had a very serious European sensitivity to it. It's loosely based on Guy de Maupassant's short story, "Mouche". Frederic Golchan (the director) really wanted Georges Delerue to score the film - don't we all! I love Georges Delerue, and respected his work, so what I tried to do was to deliver a main title that was something Georges might have written if he were alive in the late 1990's. Eric Colvin arranged and conducted the score. I wrote some of the cues, and Eric wrote the rest. It was an interesting collaboration, and I really enjoyed it. The studio here was just humming, and it proved that I could produce an entire film score in this one location!

courtesy SoundtrackNet

-Erik-

ah, that explains it a little bit
    Thanks Erik
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Star Trek : The Doomsday Machine - Sol Kaplan

Soundtrack to one of my favourite classic Trek episodes !
    Excellent stuff !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote
    NP : Star Trek : The Doomsday Machine - Sol Kaplan

Soundtrack to one of my favourite classic Trek episodes !
    Excellent stuff !

Indeed it is! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Np: Zam the Assassin and the Chase Through Coruscant with my Sony Home Cinema 600w 5.1

fucking amazing!
  5. If that sounds fucking amazing, I shudder to think what The Battle of Hoth would sound like.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DreamTheater wrote
    If that sounds fucking amazing, I shudder to think what The Battle of Hoth would sound like.

Older. :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Frederic Golchan (the director) really wanted Georges Delerue to score the film - don't we all! I love Georges Delerue, and respected his work, so what I tried to do was to deliver a main title that was something Georges might have written if he were alive in the late 1990's.

The theme from this is truly wonderful and it really does sound just like Delerue. Poledouris was great at writing themes in tribute to other composers (see also the Rozsa in Flesh+Blood and the Barry homage in Farewell to the King).
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    plindboe wrote
    The truth about Ruth

Peter smile

It's all about the layers. Desplat builds this great piece with twinkling chimes, harp and strings... very mysterious... then the choppy low strings show up and you wonder what's up? The low bass line from the main theme then begins to show its face. Desplat takes the strings up the scale and then the layers of the main theme start to show up one element at a time until everything finally comes together highlight by the sweeping strings close to the end of the track where everything is fully realized with a wonder climax. Oh man... what a satisfying track. The first thing I think of is James Horner when I hear this cue. He is the master of building upon the layers of the orchestra that finish with brilliant climaxes and Desplat's cue is just as masterful! You really have to see the scene this cue accompanies because the score is the star of that scene... it takes a hold of the film at that point and runs with it. Brilliant scoring! As matter of fact...

Thanks for the elaborate description of the track. I will give it another chance, paying extra attention to the orchestration.

But perhaps I'm the kinda film score fan who's more into great melody than great orchestration. For me it doesn't make a difference whether a melody is carried by a single flute or an entire symphony orchestra. In the end the melody is what really matters to me.

Erik Woods wrote
    I haven't liked a lot of Desplat's work but I'd say that this is my favorite of his!

The only Desplat that really blew me away was the Twilight thing. Everything else Desplat sounds kinda samish to me. People criticize Rachel Portman for always sounding the same. This criticism seems strangely absent with Desplat, even though it would be just as warranted.

Peter smile
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Cristian wrote
    NP: Cinderella Man - Thomas Newman

Another winner by Thomas Newman, I like the piano in this score. cool

Absolutely wonderful; in the movie it works wonders too. One of the last Newman classic-sounding gems.

It's almost the spiritual sequel to The Shawshank Redemption. And that title track...wow!! shocked
  7. LSH wrote
    Although Newman's slowed down quite a bit in recent years, I'm holding out hope that he'll produce something special amongst his forthcoming projects. The Debt and The Adjustment Bureau are imminent and I'm looking forward to both, providing they get released.

I look forward to this happening every day.
  8. plindboe wrote
    The only Desplat that really blew me away was the Twilight thing. Everything else Desplat sounds kinda samish to me. People criticize Rachel Portman for always sounding the same. This criticism seems strangely absent with Desplat, even though it would be just as warranted.

Peter smile

It might be a matter of depth. Portman has always seemed a bit like cotton candy to me. Very light and occasionally lovely (the title track to Marvin's Room is a good example), but not too memorable.
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    plindboe wrote
    The truth about Ruth

Peter smile

It's all about the layers. Desplat builds this great piece with twinkling chimes, harp and strings... very mysterious... then the choppy low strings show up and you wonder what's up? The low bass line from the main theme then begins to show its face. Desplat takes the strings up the scale and then the layers of the main theme start to show up one element at a time until everything finally comes together highlight by the sweeping strings close to the end of the track where everything is fully realized with a wonder climax. Oh man... what a satisfying track. The first thing I think of is James Horner when I hear this cue. He is the master of building upon the layers of the orchestra that finish with brilliant climaxes and Desplat's cue is just as masterful! You really have to see the scene this cue accompanies because the score is the star of that scene... it takes a hold of the film at that point and runs with it. Brilliant scoring! As matter of fact...

NP: The Ghost Writer - Alexandre Desplat

-Erik-

For someone who isn't a big fan of Desplat, you explained the greatness of that track better than I could.
  10. John Barry - Hammett

WHAT A BRILLIANT JAZZY THEME. A pretty good score, I think one of my favourites by thee composer. Hans has a great taste. I should thank him for reminding me of this gem.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2011
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    It might be a matter of depth. Portman has always seemed a bit like cotton candy to me. Very light and occasionally lovely (the title track to Marvin's Room is a good example), but not too memorable.

Must say that I find Portman way more memorable. Desplat has a unique style, and I find him a great asset to Hollywood, but memorable melodies isn't his forté.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Also the problem with Desplat, is that he's scored too many movies with relatively the same approach as to the music.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote

I speak as someone who has made that criticism, but I think there are several big differences there. Most obviously, that Portman has been scoring films for 15 years longer than Desplat, so the fact it's all the same is just spread over a considerably bigger body of work; but also, more importantly, that Desplat's "thing" is serious dramatic films whereas Portman's is generally light fluffy chick flicks, which allows him more of a chance to bring in variations.

Also, there's a subtle but important difference between having a very singular, identifiable style (which is something that literally all of the great film composers have) which can be moulded to fit the requirements of a particular film and just adopting a one-size-fits-all approach regardless of the film's demands. I think that's the difference between the two and why one attracts more criticism than the other for it (and I stress again that this is coming from someone who did say - a few years ago, I think - that Desplat probably needed to work on a wider range of films in order to keep things fresh - which he has done!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

That really is a good score. I've been meaning to add that to my collection for a long time. Even though I don't own it, though, I'm very familiar with the music. I saw the film for the first time when I was probably 15 years old (or so) and was so blown away by it that I watched it almost every other month for a long while after that. I still think the film is great (if you haven't seen it check it out! All-star cast). I even figured out how to play some of it on the piano. Really classy, cool score.

NP - Tom's Midnight Garden - Debbie Wiseman

First listen. Very pleasant so far.