• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2011 edited
    NP: SIDEWAYS - ROLFE KENT

One of my most listened to albums from the past ten years (I was about to say five years but then realised the film is now over six(!) years old - how time flies!). Fantastic film also.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2011
    WP: Soldier - Joel McNeely

First listen. Rather short album but a really cool orchestral action score.
  1. NIGHT CROSSING - JERRY GOLDSMITH

Damn, had I known at the time of its re-release what a gem this is I would've gotten it for certain. So now I have to listen to a substandard CD-R of this score. But for me it's the best possible way to enjoy Jerry's exciting work. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote
    NP: ZULU - John Barry

A personal favorite Barry score. Has been ever since I was a teenager. Short but what a theme!

Also played High Road To China. A rollicking, fun ride!

A short score, fantastic theme, one of the very best ever, and a darn good film too.

The live version in Ghent last year gave me serious goosebumps !
    Awesome theme and one of the highlights of the concert for me personally .
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote

It's amazing how ahead of the times McNeely was with this score. If Don Davis wasn't hired to work on the Matrix I would have given the job to McNeely based on this score alone!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Bregt wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/02/05/a … songrusin/

This will only be available on my blog as I feel there isn't enough interest.

For what it is worth Tom I read it and enjoyed it.

You have the same issues I sometimes have - disinterest in anything out of the mainstream. Do you just accept it and not bother or say "to hell with it" and just keep on plugging away trying to interest people with things they may not normally consider.

Will upload this one by popular demand

It's not much extra effort on your part so encourage Bregt to upload your reviews of this kind here. It broadens the exposure of these "lesser" scores and I'm sure Bregt wants the wide range of titles and styles being reviewed here.

Yup! People actually read the reviews of not-so-familiar-titles, and it indeed exposes people to more music next to the mainstream stuff that other websites more focus on (at least on the English ones). As I've encouraged you to do many times, it is really appreciated, not only on this forum, but also by our visitors. It's wrong to think that it is not worth publishing due to lack of interest, it's the contrary that should happen. Lack of interest should let you expose it to as many people as possible! smile

Our most read reviews from the past month are The Kings Speech, Genghis Khan and the Francis Lai compilation. All written by you, and you can't say the latter two are very well-known.

Tom can upload reviews here himself, so it's of course up to him to choose. I can only encourage, and appreciate the effort each time, since you're one of the main reviewers here.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm listening to the recently released Cyrano de Bergerac from SAE. Tiomkin truly tried to create the atmosphere of the 17th century in this piece.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I did add The Dry White Season
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Curious... what does the atmosphere in the 17th century sound like? wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Tom, you need to get to grips with tagging when your quoting people in your responses. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS - James Horner

A very fine early effort that went some way towards his gig for Star Trek.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. NP: Trailerhead Saga (Immediate Music)

second album that doesn't reach the first release of their trailermusic. It's good to see again a couple of my favourites on board, plus a couple I haven't even heard. But they aren't all of their best, making this a good CD but not a great one.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Timmer wrote

Holy shit yes! BBTS has some amazing cues, too amazing really for such a young nobody. That nobody would turn out to be a true musical talent and grow a large fanbase (which includes me).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. NP: Lethal Weapon (Michael Kamen)

Man, what a kick-ass album. I needed to see the movies again to fully appreciate the charm of these scores. Such a detailed score that's saturated in the Michael Kamen style. The blazing action tracks and the emotional sax pieces detailing the characters in every way show you what a talent Michael truly was

Excellent listen
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

It's amazing how ahead of the times McNeely was with this score. If Don Davis wasn't hired to work on the Matrix I would have given the job to McNeely based on this score alone!

-Erik-

Fantastic action score, this. Wish he had found more opportunities to do this sort of thing. (Mind you, the exceptional work Davis did on The Matrix doesn't seem to have led to anything for him, either.)
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Lethal Weapon (Michael Kamen)

Man, what a kick-ass album. I needed to see the movies again to fully appreciate the charm of these scores. Such a detailed score that's saturated in the Michael Kamen style. The blazing action tracks and the emotional sax pieces detailing the characters in every way show you what a talent Michael truly was

Excellent listen

Now we're in the process of seeing the films again it's really amazing: Kamen has done for the Lethal Weapon series what Williams did for Star Wars. His music becomes another character in each of the films. And whenever that action theme starts you know you're in for one hell of an action sequence, excitement aplenty. It's so much more than background scoring. But somehow I always felt it doesn't listen as well outside of the films. I should give the score a real listen though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

Holy shit yes! BBTS has some amazing cues, too amazing really for such a young nobody. That nobody would turn out to be a true musical talent and grow a large fanbase (which includes me).

I saw the film when it came out. Even then it looked like a cheap knock-off of STAR WARS mixed with THE SEVEN SAMAURI, even the music left me unimpressed at the time, I just thought it was a Jerry Goldsmith rip ( which to an extent it is ) but I did think James Horner was one to watch out for, not long after I bought my first Horner score, STAR TREK II : THE WRATH OF KHAN and the restt, as they say, is history wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Steamboy - Steve Jablonsky

One of the best animation scores written from the MV factory.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Hummm... where does it rank among Kung Fu Panda, Prince of Egypt, The Lion King, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, Ice Age II, How To Train Your Dragon, Happy Feet, etc.

It's an Okay score with a few highlights but it doesn't bring the same excitement as the scores above, IMO.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Talking about animation...

NP: How to Train your Dragon (powell)
    In My Home CInema 5.1 Now I know what Erik said about the recording sound. But, even with that, this is one of the best animation scores ever.

AMAZING!GORGEOUS! EPIC!

Do you listen scores with the frontal speakers only? or with all of them?

Do you really can notice the diference between an original CD and a 320 rip?
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Hummm... where does it rank among Kung Fu Panda, Prince of Egypt, The Lion King, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, Ice Age II, How To Train Your Dragon, Happy Feet, etc.

It's an Okay score with a few highlights but it doesn't bring the same excitement as the scores above, IMO.

-Erik-

For me Steamboy is the one I would choose every time. But that is the beauty of listening to stuff like this.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    Do you listen scores with the frontal speakers only? or with all of them?

Do you really can notice the diference between an original CD and a 320 rip?

Front speakers + subwoofer because using the rear speakers destroys the soundstage that the recording engineer was attemping to create. (assuming they bothered)

Sometimes I can hear the difference between CD and 320 rip...its enough that I choose to rip everything to FLAC instead of MP3.

There are many things that affect my ability to hear subtle details...even irrelevant-seeming things like how much sleep I'm getting, diet and exercise... a while back I went through a time where I was so healthy that literally every piece of music I put on was sonic heaven...trying to get back there right now...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

For me Steamboy is the one I would choose every time. But that is the beauty of listening to stuff like this.

Above Steamboy:
    How To Train Your Dragon
    Prince of Egypt
    Lion King
    Chicken Run
    Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were Rabbit

Below Steamboy:
    Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
    Kung Fu Panda
    Ice Age 2
    Fly Me To The Moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I hate to include Wallace and Gromit in this list. I wish the producers hadn't of brought in the MV team for this one. Julian Nott is more than capabile of scoring a film on his own with out MV interference...errrr... supervision.

BTW, everything but Fly Me To The Moon is ahead of Steamboy, IMO.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2011 edited
    Cohen & Tate - Bill Conti

Basically this is a score where Bill Conti channels Bernard Herrmann. It's surprisingly effective although not totally an enjoyable listen.
  10. Daybreakers - Christopher Gordon

If only the first half of the album was as good as the second half... Otherwise, it's a well constructed, but somewhat uneven listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2011
    Watch the film.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2011
    NP : CAT PEOPLE - Giorgio Moroder

Love it, great when I'm in the mood.
  11. Christodoulides wrote
    Watch the film.

I would but I have other scores to listen to.
  12. THE NINTH GATE - WOJCIECH KILAR

One of those scores that gets forgotten among the pack, I always pick something else to listen to, but when I put it on it does sound fantastic with a truly unique sound. I love the repetitive nature of Kilar's writing. Here he blends a comic theme with darker stuff, but it's always interesting and hugely melodic, and sometimes downright awesome. And Vocalise is absolutely wonderful. smile