• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2011
    NP: The Village - James Newton Howard

I love solo violin cheesy

What Are You Asking Me? is an outstanding cue!
  1. DEAD SPACE 2 - JASON GRAVES

For the space horror game comes a score that is anything but melodic... What a shock!!!

Should've known it would be another purely ambient affair with 0 % of themes.

This is my first and final listen. If I make it to the end.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. biggrin

Stick with it to the tracks I recommended...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2011 edited
    Yesterday my copy of Raiders came in the mail so we put it on over the sound system at my house (a modest system, but better than just a cd player). Of course I'm familiar with the music having seen the film so many times, but it was fun to see my son's reaction to it, hearing it for the first time. During "Desesrt Chase" he exclaimed exhuberantly, "I like this music! What's it from?" He's three years old.

Edit: Erik, how was La Herencia Valdemar?
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    biggrin

Even those do nothing for me. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. I Am Legend - James Newton Howard

I am mixed about this score; 1) There are very good choral/ethereal parts which make up about 15-20 minutes of the album (weirdly, they somewhat remind me of The Dig). 2) Other than those choral parts, the score seemed to be under the surface for much of the time (aside from the occasional action cue) and not as thematically strong as it could have been.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christopher - Awesome story. My boy (4 years old) does the same thing. He love Star Wars, Superman, Indiana Jones and when those themes pop up he stands at attention, mouth wide open of proclaims "I know this!"

As for La Herencia Valdemar - Most excellent. It's making me go back and re-evaluate by Best of 2010 list. Stunning music. I'm going to listen to the sequel score now which was just made available from MovieScore Media.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    biggrin

Even those do nothing for me. sad

Oh well. Thanks at least having a listen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    As for La Herencia Valdemar - Most excellent. It's making me go back and re-evaluate by Best of 2010 list. Stunning music. I'm going to listen to the sequel score now which was just made available from MovieScore Media.

-Erik-

Good news, Erik. I look forward to hearing them both in a week or two.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: La Herencia Valdemar II: La Sombra Prohibida - Arnau Bataller

Good stuff but much more laid back than the original. The middle section of this album really drags.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Stop it!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    These two scores is the type of film music that I have been craving all these years... and as Demetris has been championing you have to look out side of Hollywood's doors to find them. The Spanish are most definitely kicking some serious ass now in the film music world and the La Herencia Valdemar film scores proves that! Delicious stuff!

-Erik-
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    CZAS HONORU - BARTOSZ CHAJDECKI

Meh. slant

I don't think it's that special. I don't really know what to say about it except that I don't like it.

It's some of the most amateurish works i've heard this year wink

if this is amateurish, I don't know anything about filmmusic anymore
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  9. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Meh. slant

I don't think it's that special. I don't really know what to say about it except that I don't like it.

expected nothing less from you tongue
    at least the rating so far tends to agree on my behalf wink

This is because i forgot to vote too wink

that explains the downhill rating, ah some people just don't know anything about filmmusic anymore tongue
  10. FalkirkBairn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Meh. slant

Was this the one Bregt was listening to the other day? Ah the intrusion ability of last.fm!

From the clips I heard I was quite enthused.

I would like to know what you think of it Alan, for me it's simply gorgeous
  11. I've not had the pleasure of listening to the entire score yet. I see that it is on a Polish label and is quite hard to come by...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christopher - Awesome story. My boy (4 years old) does the same thing. He love Star Wars, Superman, Indiana Jones and when those themes pop up he stands at attention, mouth wide open of proclaims "I know this!"

I told you already two weeks ago (on IFMCA)! tongue

WIll you add it to the IFMCA noms?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Bregt... too much to listen to not enough time. I have a PILE of new stuff I also have to get through plus some how find time to record a new radio show or two (none since December of last year) plus take care of my family. Anywho, I'm glad La Herencia Valdemar was made available to us and I'm glad we lengthened the nomination timeline. As for voting for it... I think I included it in the Fantasy genre.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    No worries, just pulling. It surprised me too, from the start! Very enjoyable.
    Kazoo
  12. NP: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Jesper Kyd)

It began quite good, but near the end things turned to more average stuff, leaving me in the end somewhat disappointed. Not a well arranged album, because the best material is all in the begin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just finishing with La Herencia Valdemar II: La Sombra Prohibida. While it's not as strong as the first score it does contain the best cue of the bunch. The second to last track "Cthulhu" goes beyond epic. The first half of the cue is a big, meaty action cue and the last half is a slow builder to a spinetingling orchestral/choral climax. I know the year is still young but this in on the top of the list of best cues of 2011. Wow!

Up next... a toss up between the live action movie Space Battleship Yamato or Time of Honour which some seem to like while others do not. I'm going to give Time of Honour a shot. So far I like the main title cue very much. Just wondering, was this recorded in a cave or is it all samples? I'm starting to think the massive reverb is to mask the samples or try to make them sound bigger. Unfortunately, you get something like the Lord of the Rings recordings... a muddy mess with no detail and a wall of noise.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Meh. slant

Was this the one Bregt was listening to the other day? Ah the intrusion ability of last.fm!

From the clips I heard I was quite enthused.

I would like to know what you think of it Alan, for me it's simply gorgeous

Or vomit-inducing wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    DEAD SPACE 2 - JASON GRAVES

For the space horror game comes a score that is anything but melodic... What a shock!!!

Should've known it would be another purely ambient affair with 0 % of themes.

This is my first and final listen. If I make it to the end.

Overrated cr*p is what sounds to me too, i never understood the fuss about it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  13. Erik Woods wrote
    Just finishing with La Herencia Valdemar II: La Sombra Prohibida. While it's not as strong as the first score it does contain the best cue of the bunch. The second to last track "Cthulhu" goes beyond epic. The first half of the cue is a big, meaty action cue and the last half is a slow builder to a spinetingling orchestral/choral climax. I know the year is still young but this in on the top of the list of best cues of 2011. Wow!

Up next... a toss up between the live action movie Space Battleship Yamato or Time of Honour which some seem to like while others do not. I'm going to give Time of Honour a shot. So far I like the main title cue very much. Just wondering, was this recorded in a cave or is it all samples? I'm starting to think the massive reverb is to mask the below average sounding samples.

-Erik-

Erik, do you have access to my SAE account? As well as the two Spanish scores for La Herencia Valdemar my order included Space Battleship Yamato!

Looks like this package could be quite good?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    punk

I'm just on my last minute IFMCA listens... I want to make sure I have all my bases covered. But I do think it's quite a coincidence that I'm listening to the albums that you just ordered. I think you are going to like them.

-Erik-
  14. Do you mind me asking Erik whether you were "supplied" with these titles for review?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TERMINATOR: SALVATION (Danny Elfman)

Love the downtempo bits and the textures...not so keen on the action material.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Do you mind me asking Erik whether you were "supplied" with these titles for review?

Oui!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

Now I know that you have a Tinnitus... but even though you aren't keen on the action material because of that, in your opinion is the action music bad?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Now I know that you have a Tinnitus... but even though you aren't keen on the action material because of that, in your opinion is the action music bad?

-Erik-

It's not bad (and it works like gangbusters in the film), but I'm not very keen on Elfman's action music in the first place as a listening experience. Not even when he was more straightforward and consonant in style (i.e. prior to MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE). There's too much counterpoint going on, often too thickly orchestrated and often an over-reliance on screaming brass and percussion.
    I am extremely serious.