• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011
    Frances - John Barry

His most beautiful score, in my opinion.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Frances - John Barry

His most beautiful score, in my opinion.

James, if you've never seen it, I've put a link for the documentary MOVIEOLA up on the JOHN BARRY thread, well worth seeing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thanks Tim, I think I may have seen it once (perhaps Geoff lent me a video of it?) but it's been many years.
  1. CZAS HONORU - BARTOSZ CHAJDECKI

Meh. slant

I don't think it's that special. I don't really know what to say about it except that I don't like it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    CZAS HONORU - BARTOSZ CHAJDECKI

Meh. slant

I don't think it's that special. I don't really know what to say about it except that I don't like it.

expected nothing less from you tongue
    at least the rating so far tends to agree on my behalf wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011 edited
    Brokeback Mountain (Oscar Promo) - Gustavo Santaolalla

It's really not that bad of a score... It's just that An Unfinished Life and All The Pretty Horses take the same ideas and do them better.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  3. DreamTheater wrote

Meh. slant

Was this the one Bregt was listening to the other day? Ah the intrusion ability of last.fm!

From the clips I heard I was quite enthused.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Meh. slant

Was this the one Bregt was listening to the other day? Ah the intrusion ability of last.fm!

I've never been so directly confronted with my listening on Last.FM. biggrin

I don't like it so much? It's quite okay, and it contains some rather enjoyable tracks, but I found it as a whole a bit flutsch. You know, a bit bland now and then, it doesn't sound all right. But the score certainly contains some worthy music, but not to rave about imo.
    Kazoo
  4. I would do a big grin if I could remember the "longhand" for the big grin emoticon.

(Still on phone with mobile broadband.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    You say what? confused

: biggrin : you mean?
    Kazoo
  5. I didn't explain what I meant earlier from this:

-Agora (Dario Marianelli): I was expecting something more thematic and bombastic than the texture of orchestral brooding/wailing woman combo that I got.
    -Children of Men (John Tavener) - I was expecting a film score, I didn't know it was a commission for Taverner to write a concert work. There is one or two wonderful pieces in there with the choir, but on the whole, it's a bit slow.
    -Cherry 2000 (Basil Poledouris) - The album does not feel terribly cohesive with so many minutes-or-less cues, with the somewhat promising posture of the themes.
    -An Unfinished Life (Christopher Young) - I was not expecting a score as restrained as this, maybe with more emotion to it. You definitely need to concentrate on it when you listen to it.
    -The Man Who Knew Too Little (Christopher Young) - Much more of a pure comedy score rather than a spy agent parody. I prefer the more action oriented Johnny English.
    -The Ninth Gate (Wojciech Kilar) - It's somewhat of a repetitive and somewhat overbeating cross of heavy religious brooding and awkward comedic material.
    -The Count of Monte Cristo (Edward Shearmur) - There was nothing distinctive about it for it to stay in the mind, just generic, midly epic, orchestral writing. Less thematic than the story would suggest with the characters in it.
    -The Boy Who Could Fly (Bruce Broughton) - Not one of Bruce's best scores, the main theme is repeated alot more than it probably should (without development). There really isn't a sort of development of the score, no sense of the climax by the end.
    -Notes on a Scandal (Philip Glass) - after listening to two of my favourite Glass scores (The Illusionist and Cassandra's Dream), I just found Notes on a Scandal to be a disappointing cross between the two scores.
    -I Want to be a Shellfish (Joe Hisaishi) - The main theme is good and the score is typical Hisaishi, but some of the militaristic cues are a bit of a turn off.
    -The Ghost and the Darkness (Jerry Goldsmith) - The only cue that I really need is 'Welcome to Tsavo' which combines the opening cue/main theme into a sterling climax. The action bits are not bad, but Jerry's written better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Scarlet Letter - John Barry

The album probably needs a bit of pruning, but I love the intensity Barry builds through it, up to the more dynamic material towards the end. Needless to say, the main themes are extremely beautiful.
  6. Southall wrote
    The Scarlet Letter - John Barry

The album probably needs a bit of pruning, but I love the intensity Barry builds through it, up to the more dynamic material towards the end. Needless to say, the main themes are extremely beautiful.

The Peter Buffet 'Native American' material in the first few cues is also interesting in its own right. More interesting than say, James Horner's similar use in The Missing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Moonraker - John Barry

Much more ponderous than any of his Bond scores which went before, but there's some fantastic material. Hope someone can do a fuller release some day, more importantly one with better sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote

Meh. slant

It's some of the most amateurish works i've heard this year wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Meh. slant

expected nothing less from you tongue
    at least the rating so far tends to agree on my behalf wink

This is because i forgot to vote too wink
  7. KevinSmith wrote
    Just for your info, my rating system is

5 stars = great
    4 stars = good
    3.5 stars = decent
    3 stars = alright
    2 or lower = Meh

I rate scores along this line as well. I always thought 3 stars meant average score - not too good, but not too bad. My rating system is a little more subjective, ever since I decided I have no business deciding what "great" music is, but it's more like Kevin Smith's than Timmer's or Erik's:

5 - I love it
    4 - I like it
    3 - Listening to nothing would be about as enjoyable
    2 - I don't like it
    1 - I hate it
    0 - not even music

I have considered rating all of my scores on a bell curve, though, like James mentioned. I don't think that would be a bad way of doing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2011
    Goldfinger - John Barry

Strict rules of golf, Mr Bond?

The ultimate Bond film gets the ultimate Bond score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: THE WHITE MASAI - NIKI REISER

A lovely African-flavoured score with some wonderfully vibrant and exotic passages.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Goldfinger - John Barry

It's absolutely BRILLIANT! As soon as those huge brass chords start off the title song you know you're in for something special.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Moonraker - John Barry

Much more ponderous than any of his Bond scores which went before, but there's some fantastic material. Hope someone can do a fuller release some day, more importantly one with better sound.

Not really a favourite of mine but it does have it's moments, in particular the album is worth the purchase just for Flight Into Space alone.

I have a soft spot for the title theme too.
  8. Southall wrote
    Goldfinger - John Barry

I thought you'd quote this

Bond: Do you expect me to talk?
    Auric Goldfinger: No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to DIE!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. Myst III: Exile - Jack Wall

Exotic video game ambiance, nothing much to really add to that...
  10. KevinSmith wrote
    Myst III: Exile - Jack Wall

Exotic video game ambiance, nothing much to really add to that...

Hah somebody else knows it exists. cool The main theme is wonderful, after that the theme has to make way for countless ambient cues, but not of the boring kind though, well at least some of them aren't. And there is some interesting ending music. Not a particularly great listen but it's very good background music.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    OCÉANS | bruno coulais

One of my favourites of 2010. Lovely atmosphere with a bunch of stunning tracks like Aquarium (the end!), the Les Massacres (the choir), La Cavalerie Des Dauphins (the brass) and L'Arrivée Des Araignées. Also the song at the end is really good.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    OCÉANS | bruno coulais

One of my favourites of 2010. Lovely atmosphere with a bunch of stunning tracks like Aquarium (the end!), the Les Massacres (the choir), La Cavalerie Des Dauphins (the brass) and L'Arrivée Des Araignées. Also the song at the end is really good.

It's beautiful indeed, voted it for this year. Unlike BABIES wink
  11. AVATAR - JAMES HORNER

I now think this single CD presentation is what I like most, the promo is just too long and a big part of it is extremely boring. I had to get used to what James Horner had come up with musically, but about a year later I can say I've grown to love the score. Basically because I adore the movie too and the impact the music has in it is very much spot on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: La Herencia Valdemar - Arnau Bataller

First listen... shocked Epic opening. please, please please hold up!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Cyrano De Bergerac/Tiomkin, a new release from SAE.
    listen to more classical music!
  12. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: La Herencia Valdemar - Arnau Bataller

First listen... shocked Epic opening. please, please please hold up!

-Erik-

Funny, I've just ordered this earlier today along with the MovieScore Media release of the sequel when I saw it was also available at SAE. So I'm hoping that it holds up too!