• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. christopher wrote
    The Luzhin Defence - Alexandre Desplat

I think this is one of Desplat's stronger scores. It does feel a little more emotional at times than some of his others. I'm one of those that has a harder time enjoying this man's work, though there are some that I've liked. I would put this score in my top 5 Desplat favorites, though I still don't have too many of his scores, so that's not saying too much. I like the first and last cues, and the love theme. The highlight of the score for me is the third track, "The Arrival," which I thought was really good. There are quite a few tracks in the score that are interesting, but not as enjoyable. A little too "clinical." I also give this one ***1/2.

This is one of his more "classical" scores. Some of the cues are lovely, like "Luzhin Dreams" or the "Love Theme". But as a whole, it's not my first choice for any kind of emotional catharsis. If you want that, track down L'Ennemi Intime.
  2. christopher wrote
    The Horse Whisperer - Thomas Newman

This is a fairly typical example of one of Newman's better scores. There are a lot of short tracks, quite a few tracks where nothing happens, and quite a few tracks that are just beautiful. My favorite tracks are "Double Divide," "Montana," "The Rhythm of the Horse," "Grace," "The Vast Continent," and "End Title." There are a lot of less impressive little tracks that litter this score up and weigh it down. Trimming some of those off would easily increasing my rating of this score, but as it is, I give it ***1/2. I do think score is almost as good as some of the best Newman has done. Almost in their league, though not quite.

I listened to this earlier today for the first time in years. It reminded me why I love and miss this man terribly. "The Rhythm of the Horse" alone is worth the whole album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I just finished with my Dances With Wolves selections (I should have just listened to the entire score wink ) and my God... this still has the same power and effect on me when I first heard it 21 years ago! Brilliant, BRILLIANT, BRILLIANT! While some find it annoying with the repetition of themes, when you have a film score THIS good with themes THIS memorable you WANT to hear them over and over and over again! Stunning film music!

-Erik-

Glad i have that on vinyl!

Yay for clicks and pops. slant

-Erik-

Clearly you haven't bought a new lp disc for years wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Why would I?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ugh, nothing. Next subject.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FIRELIGHT (Christopher Gunning)

Beautiful, melancholic, romantic. Lovely piano solos.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHN BARRY - out of Africa

Gorgeous
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote

Gorgeous

My least favourite of his most popular scores. Never really liked it somehow...
    Kazoo
  3. INDEPENDENCE DAY - DAVID ARNOLD

It's rather good! cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Rather kick-ass!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Gorgeous

Because there's nothing of significance besides the cues using the lovely main theme.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Gorgeous

Because there's nothing of significance but the lovely main theme.

What utter nonsense!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Agree. It's wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Gorgeous

Because there's nothing of significance but the lovely main theme.

face-palm-mt
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    That's not what I meant. dizzy

GOLDFINGER | john barry

My favourite Bondscore (though, it does not contain my favourite Bond theme, that's OHMSS) because all-round it's a great listen with several super cool action (Dawn Raid at Fort Knox) and spy-y stuff (Gassing the Gangsters).
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote

GOLDFINGER | john barry

My favourite Bondscore (though, it does not contain my favourite Bond theme, that's OHMSS) because all-round it's a great listen with several super cool action (Dawn Raid at Fort Knox) and spy-y stuff (Gassing the Gangsters).

cool beer

Re : Out of Africa

It was Kevin's comment. You're ( obviously ) welcome to like/dislike a score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote

GOLDFINGER | john barry

cool beer

I don't dislike the score, I'm just pointing out that the more memorable parts of the score use the great main theme. The opening titles, Flying Over Africa, and the end titles are the best cues on the album and overshadow anything else. There isn't alot of secondary development with Karen's theme (although it is nice and pretty). I would give it 3.5 stars or 4 stars, not not the glowing 5 star masterpiece everyone gloats about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Now that's a comment I can respect!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE LAST SAMURAI (Hans Zimmer)

Some of the bombastic bits are bit too...uhm...bombastic, but when it's mellow and spiritual, it's truly gorgeous. Like "Way of the Sword" and "Small Measurement of Peace".
    I am extremely serious.
  4. John Barry - King Rat

Not sure if I ever saw this little gem in this thread, ever. Great theme, great arrangement. Just As You Were is pure beauty. The movie is a very good outing, by a director who was a good friend of Barry's (Four in the Morning was their first collaboration, I think? And didn't he do that one with his band for free? Never heard Four in the Morning though!). The March bookending the score is a masterpiece, pity that except a small part in the movie, it's never heard in the movie!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Thor wrote
    NP: THE LAST SAMURAI (Hans Zimmer)

Some of the bombastic bits are bit too...uhm...bombastic, but when it's mellow and spiritual, it's truly gorgeous. Like "Way of the Sword" and "Small Measurement of Peace".

Exactly the same thing can be said about the music in the film, except for A Small Measure of Peace, where the only problem with the score is that... it's actually *there*.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote

GOLDFINGER | john barry

cool beer

I don't dislike the score, I'm just pointing out that the more memorable parts of the score use the great main theme. The opening titles, Flying Over Africa, and the end titles are the best cues on the album and overshadow anything else. There isn't alot of secondary development with Karen's theme (although it is nice and pretty). I would give it 3.5 stars or 4 stars, not not the glowing 5 star masterpiece everyone gloats about.

That's more like it Kevin, your original un-edited comment came across wrong.

Just for the record I agree with you and I'd also give it 3.5 - 4 stars, that still makes it a great score in my book.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Barry - King Rat

Not sure if I ever saw this little gem in this thread, ever. Great theme, great arrangement. Just As You Were is pure beauty. The movie is a very good outing, by a director who was a good friend of Barry's (Four in the Morning was their first collaboration, I think? And didn't he do that one with his band for free? Never heard Four in the Morning though!). The March bookending the score is a masterpiece, pity that except a small part in the movie, it's never heard in the movie!

I've played King Rat here in NP, Pawel, you must have missed it? wink

Bryan Forbes did a number of collaborations with John Barry including Seance On A Wet Afternoon ( a great film, quite sinister ), The L-Shaped Room, King Rat, The Wrong Box, The Whisperers and Deadfall. I don't think, unless you know something I don't, that Bryan Forbes had anything to do with Four In The Morning? The film starred a very young Judi Dench ( another Bond connection ) and I believe Barry gave his services for free, it's a small score for a handful of instruments.
  6. Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote

GOLDFINGER | john barry

cool beer

That's more like it Kevin, your original un-edited comment came across wrong.

Just for the record I agree with you and I'd also give it 3.5 - 4 stars, that still makes it a great score in my book.

3.5-4 stars is a great score?

Just for your info, my rating system is

5 stars = great
    4 stars = good
    3.5 stars = decent
    3 stars = alright
    2 or lower = Meh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It depends what you rate out of. If you rate out of 3.5 or 4, then 3.5 or 4 is clearly a great score!

It also depends on whether you consider that scores are distributed by a uniform distribution (ie 20% of scores are worth 1 out of 5, 20% are worth 2 out of 5, etc) or a normal distribution (ie the majority are worth 3 out of 5, with only especially bad ones veering off either side of it, and truly outstandingly good or bad ones getting the ratings at either extreme).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    5 stars = superlative

4 stars = great

3 stars = good

2 stars = maybe the odd good track

1 stars = worthy of a coffee coaster maybe?

0 stars = rubbish
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    On a less statistical note,

NP: The Beyondness of Things - John Barry

Again. My favourite track has for some time been the final one, "Dance With Reality". Absolutely gorgeous.
    Timmer wrote
    5 stars = superlative

4 stars = great

3 stars = good

2 stars = maybe the odd good track

1 stars = worthy of a coffee coaster maybe?

0 stars = rubbish

Isn't great and superlative almost the same description/feeling?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    5 - Masterpiece
    4 - Excellent
    3 - Good
    2 - Okay
    1 - Not Okay.
    0 - Poo

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    On a less statistical note,

NP: The Beyondness of Things - John Barry

Again. My favourite track has for some time been the final one, "Dance With Reality". Absolutely gorgeous.

It is! I love that track, a 'left field' track that finishes the album superbly.