• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2011
    Charade from Henry Mancini
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    His strong suit that puts him at the top is that each of his underscore cues is a melody unto itself.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    His strong suit that puts him at the top is that each of his underscore cues is a melody unto itself.

A trait that John Barry shares with him.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: Princess Kaiulani (Stephen Warbeck)

lovely
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    More info please?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    More info please?

so far soft lovely string passages and classical pieces are discovered, but I'm just at the half so far
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE WIRE - Various Artists

A really good compilation of music used in the superb TV series The Wire, it includes all the versions of Tom Waits title song Way Down In The Hole, excellent! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mercenaries 2 - Chris Tilton

Extremely entertaining album.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    Mercenaries 2 - Chris Tilton

Extremely entertaining album.

Three stars when you say those words dizzy
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    This would have got more than that if I'd reviewed it! I'd love to hear more of Tilton's music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    www.christilton.com

BTW, Mercenaries is a frickin' superbly written score. If it weren't for Dan Wallin's cruddy mix of Steve Smith's fantastic unaltered recording I would have given the album 5 stars easily!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: The Social Network

Jeezus, this gets an Oscar nomination? Filmmusic has truly sunk to atrocious levels if this ever gets the Oscar. Which it will!

Bollocks. Who gets an Oscar isn't necessarily indicative of the general quality of film music. I personally think today's film music is all fine and healthy no matter who some film people decide to award.

Peter smile

I totally disagree, filmmusic back in the early years stood for something. Composers dared to express themselves and make their own score. Directors understood the talent of these composers and said they would accept it no matter what, because they believed and accepted their talent. Today composers have to write for the benefit of the movie, leaving their own voice behind and create tempscores because the director or produces loves a particular sound so much. Today music is rarely impressive anymore and wall to wall scoring has become a common thing. The Social Network is background music for a film, and not even worthy to be called music on CD!

Well, you might totally disagree with my second point, but my main point that "Who gets an Oscar isn't necessarily indicative of the general quality of film music" is still unaddressed. The only way that initial statement could be true is with the assumption that the academy is perfect. We know that it's far from perfect though, and whether a crappy score wins or not has nothing to do with the quality of film music today.

That said, I don't agree with you that everything sounds the same and there are no independent voices. Sure there's a bit of truth in that statement, but it's way too overextended. There are plenty of composers with their own voices, Desplat being an obvious example. Also Hollywood does not equal the world. Illaramendi, Kilar, Preisner, Coulais, Cases, Hisaishi, Rombi, Morricone and countless other extraordinary talents are still out there working. I can only make sense of your post if I assume that everything you listen to is MV/RC scores, and even that is problematic, as composers with unique voices has emerged over time from MV/RC as well, for instance John Powell. Even Hans Zimmer ("universally" considered the problem with today's film music) has tried daring new approaches, has revolutionized the industry and has changed dramatically over time.

And I do agree with D, that the doom and gloom attitude among some film score fans is tiring. There's plenty of extraordinary music out there if you simply open your ears and expand your horizon.

Peter smile
  3. Salt - Newton Howard

Just finished watching the film. I've never heard Howard do an all-out action score, but this was sufficiently badass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011
    The film was bollocks, at least to me. When the choir chanted 'salt' 'salt' 'salt' i thought it was the cheesiest moment in film 2010 smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. I barely heard the choir until the end. I liked Angelina a lot in it. I have a thing for strong female leads.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    plindboe wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    It just amazes me how people call a film crap, yet they absolutely love the music. Don't you just like the movie a little then? I could never separate the music from the film. That's why 90 % of the films that I love have great scores. It's such an integral part of a movie that I could never hate any of those films, even though I know in my heart they aren't masterpieces. If a score is fun, the movie's fun. If a score moves me, the film moves me. Only my opinion of course.

Whenever I read posts like this I always think "this guy isn't a film music fan, he's a film fan". Not meaning to judge, it just sounds like you're saying that the music can't be good on its own.

Peter smile

this is where good music comes in, back in the day good music was written. Back then the music sounded superbly in the film, and outside its context. Trust me, the reason why my brother says this is because he has felt the degeneration of fimmusic, just like I have. The occasional examples and great composers remain an exception, but the majority provides music that is perfect for the film, and a lot less on CD.

I enjoy music in and outside the context, and my brother enjoys it too, but he knows that stellar filmmusic is a thing of the past (with the occasional exceptions of course of today)

That might be what he meant but that's not what he wrote.

Peter smile
  5. Salt (again) - Newton Howard

This time I've heard the album. It's still pretty kickass, especially the too-short "Go Get 'Em" and "Chase Across DC."
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Really good stuff indeed!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Tonight I've listened to Poledouris's Les Miserables for the first time, really. I had heard it once before, but it was on the horribly produced original album. Today I finished my edit of the score. I went through and trimmed those four long tracks into 22 shorter ones and, for me, it improved the listening experience immeasurably. I had to learn how to use Audacity to do it (which is not a hard program to learn, but there is a bit of time needed to get the basics down). My brain can't handle super long tracks. I don't know what to do with them or how to think of them. Breaking it up this way helped me look at each piece of the score individually. I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to hearing this again.
  7. Today it's going to be a John Barry playlist. So far it's been choice selections from the likes of You Only Live Twice, Mercury Rising, Love Among The Ruins, The Ipcress File and The White Buffalo. All class tracks.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. plindboe wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    It just amazes me how people call a film crap, yet they absolutely love the music. Don't you just like the movie a little then? I could never separate the music from the film. That's why 90 % of the films that I love have great scores. It's such an integral part of a movie that I could never hate any of those films, even though I know in my heart they aren't masterpieces. If a score is fun, the movie's fun. If a score moves me, the film moves me. Only my opinion of course.

Whenever I read posts like this I always think "this guy isn't a film music fan, he's a film fan". Not meaning to judge, it just sounds like you're saying that the music can't be good on its own.

Peter smile

I worded it wrong. It made it look I can't enjoy the music outside of the film. What I meant is when I love the score, I almost always love the film, even the ones considered bad. Case in point: Godzilla, Hook, Independence Day, Lost In Space, Cutthroat Island, and many more. Call it bad taste in films but I meant what I say that the score is a part of the film the film cannot do without. So I go for the whole experience. If a film entertains me on a pure audio level (music + sound design), it already gets many good points from me. Does the music elevate so-called crap films so they become entertaining? Well they do for me. smile

And I am a film score fan, otherwise I wouldn't be listening to them on a daily basis. But I feel I'm not the score fan I used to be ten years ago... Part growing older, and part not liking the new stuff as much as the older stuff.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. I'm interested to know if, when you love the music in a "crap film" and therefore like the film, is it because you're hearing the music again and are seeing the images associated with the music you love so much? And you are seeing the film in terms of the music rather than enjoying the film itself?

I think that for me a lot of a time I'll sit through a bad film to hear the great music. The film is then measured by the quality of the music and the film's still crap!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    NP: " The Buffalo Hunt (Album Version) " - Dances With Wolves - John Barry

God, that's extra special goodness.

And up next is Barry's theme to Body Heat. My first time listen...
  10. NP: "Title Theme" - The Persuaders - John Barry

Arguably the greatest TV theme ever composed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    DreamTheater wrote
    I worded it wrong. It made it look I can't enjoy the music outside of the film. What I meant is when I love the score, I almost always love the film, even the ones considered bad. Case in point: Godzilla, Hook, Independence Day, Lost In Space, Cutthroat Island, and many more. Call it bad taste in films but I meant what I say that the score is a part of the film the film cannot do without. So I go for the whole experience. If a film entertains me on a pure audio level (music + sound design), it already gets many good points from me. Does the music elevate so-called crap films so they become entertaining? Well they do for me. smile

And I am a film score fan, otherwise I wouldn't be listening to them on a daily basis. But I feel I'm not the score fan I used to be ten years ago... Part growing older, and part not liking the new stuff as much as the older stuff.

Thanks for elaborating. I'm glad to hear that you are indeed a fellow film score nut. smile

I do get your point that one feels more connected to a movie when one really loves a score. I have ten times more intense emotional reactions to a scene in a movie when I know and love the music in the scene. This basically makes the movie a kind of MTV music video for a film score geek, so in that sense music and enjoyment of the movie are indeed connected. That said, from a film rating from 1-10, my enjoyment of the music, usually only adds a point or two. A movie like Gigli couldn't be rescued by the best score in the world.

Also, when I'm calling a movie crap I'm not referring to my own enjoyment of it, but I'm trying to give a more objective recognition that the movie is poorly made. There are lots of movies that I recognize to be big piles of feces that I still enjoy highly (Plan 9 from Outer Space being the obvious example).

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Great TV & Film Hits Of John Barry - John Barry

Tracklist :

01. Theme From The Persuaders
    02. Theme From 'Born Free'
    03. The James Bond Theme from Dr. No
    04. The Ipcress File
    05. Goldfinger
    06. Midnight Cowboy
    07. Thunderball
    08. The Lion In Winter (Main Title)
    09. From Russia With Love
    10. Vendetta
    11. You Only Live Twice (Theme)
    12. The Knack
    13. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    14. The Danny Scipio Theme
    15. The Girl With The Sun In Her Hair
    16. The More Things Change

Original recordings (1991)
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    christopher wrote
    Tonight I've listened to Poledouris's Les Miserables for the first time, really. I had heard it once before, but it was on the horribly produced original album. Today I finished my edit of the score. I went through and trimmed those four long tracks into 22 shorter ones and, for me, it improved the listening experience immeasurably.

22 tracks? Based on the sub track listing on the album I get 16 tracks.

1. Theme from Les Miserables (2:41)
    2. The Bishop / Javert (2:12)
    3. The Quarry (1:17)
    4. Javert Suspects (2:26)
    5. Caring For Fantine / Valjean's Confession (4:18)
    6. The Death of Fantine (2:33)
    7. Flight from Vigau (9:45)
    8. Valjean and Cosette (3:01)
    9. The Wall (1:56)
    10. Outside (1:05)
    11. Marius and Cosette (5:16)
    12. Valjean Remembers (1:30)
    13. Funeral Attack (2:58)
    14. Valjean Saves Marius (2:58)
    15. Farewell (2:08)
    16. Javert's Suicide (3:09)

-Erik-
  11. I've never really warmed to Poledouris' score because of the long suites. I may revisit using these shorter tracks. Thanks!
  12. NP: "River Walk" - Four In The Morning - John Barry

Such a sad piece of music. Not your usual "John Barry Sound", and a real quality piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Prince of Foxes/Newman.