• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Sometimes I wonder what world other film score fans are living in. Can't be Earth, that's for sure.

Peter smile

if you've lived in heaven, earth isn't satisfactory anymore wink

The sad fact another legend has left earth, makes it all the more difficult to stay optimistic

I know, each year we'll get numerous examples of how great filmmusic remains to be, but if blockbusters of today (Robin Hood, Clash of the Titans to name but a few) remain to bring out uninspired writing, then I'll constantly return to the fact that we aren't living in the good times anymore

Call us overly pessimistic bro, but you have to admit that some people just aren't like that. They keep up with the times and embrace the music as it comes, whereas someone like me prefers to hold on to the past. But to each their own. I'll just keep on enjoying the music from the past as much as I can.

hey, I'm enjoying the music of today too man, but I know it will never get as good as it was back in the early days. It's a bit like life I think, always knowing that back in the early days it was better

or is it that which makes us pessimistic? wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011
    NP : THE LAST VALLEY - John Barry

One of his greatest scores and in my own personal top 20.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Beautiful score indeed. Listening to some Barry myself.

John Barry - The Living Daylights

One of the very best Bond scores and his final outing for the 80s. Great thematic material and the arrangement... Perfect 1980s music. Shows that he was much more than his preferred sound from the 1980s on showed him to be.

And then came the illness...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011 edited
    It's good to see so many of you playing Barry's music these last couple of days love beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THEMEPENDIUM - John Barry

I'm playing CD 2 from this 4 CD compilation of original recordings, some really fine work here including his early John Barry 7 to his cover of The Human Jungle and other oddities, right now it's playing Fancy Dance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: John Barry - Dances With Wolves
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Still listening to my personal Barry compilation. I absolutely ADORE The View To Kill suite by the City of Prague Philharmonic on the Bond and Beyond 2 album featuring the cues "Wine With Stacey/Fanfare/Snow Job." The slow flute rendition of my all time favorite Bond song is absolutely gorgeous!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THEMEPENDIUM - John Barry

I'm playing CD 2 from this 4 CD compilation of original recordings, some really fine work here including his early John Barry 7 to his cover of The Human Jungle and other oddities, right now it's playing Fancy Dance.

Here's a taste of that early Barry sound...

FANCY DANCE
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Still listening to my personal Barry compilation. I absolutely ADORE The View To Kill suite by the City of Prague Philharmonic on the Bond and Beyond 2 album featuring the cues "Wine With Stacey/Fanfare/Snow Job." The slow flute rendition of my all time favorite Bond song is absolutely gorgeous!

-Erik-

A big favourite of mine too Erik beer
  3. Timmer wrote
    NP : THE BEYONDNESS OF THINGS - John Barry

Brilliant!

You know I was listening to and singing along to the gorgeous tunes of 'The Beyondness of Things' in my car earlier, and wasn't this the one guy who could totally take you away into another world, by the sheer might of his beautiful melodies alone? I definitely think so. I don't think I've ever appreciated this particular album as much as right now. I was completely in my own world while listening to it. John truly was the master of the romantic melody and this album is like a best-of of all he has composed before it.

Never heard the other one though. Eternal Echoes. Is it a lot like Beyondness? Then I may as well get it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's very much like Beyondness, Gilles, very worthwhile.
  4. OK, if there's one guy I trust 200 % when it comes to Barry, it's the Timmer!!!! cool

So ordering it is a future event that has a 100 % chance of happening. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I just finished with my Dances With Wolves selections (I should have just listened to the entire score wink ) and my God... this still has the same power and effect on me when I first heard it 21 years ago! Brilliant, BRILLIANT, BRILLIANT! While some find it annoying with the repetition of themes, when you have a film score THIS good with themes THIS memorable you WANT to hear them over and over and over again! Stunning film music!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LEGENDS OF HOLLYWOOD, VOL. 2 (Franz Waxman)

Going through the four Waxman volumes again....brilliant suite compilations!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Essential recordings, Thor! Thanks for bring them up!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    I just finished with my Dances With Wolves selections (I should have just listened to the entire score wink ) and my God... this still has the same power and effect on me when I first heard it 21 years ago! Brilliant, BRILLIANT, BRILLIANT! While some find it annoying with the repetition of themes, when you have a film score THIS good with themes THIS memorable you WANT to hear them over and over and over again! Stunning film music!

-Erik-

Obviously I agree with your opinion of the score. I have never, ever understood those who make the "repetition of themes" argument with this one. That is an accusation which could be labelled at some Barry albums, but this - even in the expanded form - surely isn't one. There are about a dozen distinct themes over the course of 21 tracks. Most (not all, for sure, but most) of the themes that do form the basis of more than one track receive variations and not just repetitions.
  5. Agreed.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. Agreed².

DWW is anything BUT repetitive.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DANCES WITH WOLVES was the score that confirmed for me that he was back from the dead. Back in 1988 I'd gone off doing a lot of travelling and the last I'd heard about John Barry ( through Robert Wood at Movie Boulevard which some people here will remember ) was that he was gravely ill, coming back to the UK in mid 1990 and seeing this score on sale in a local store was a great and happy mooment for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    THE LAST VALLEY | john barry

I somehow always mix up the title with The Lion in Winter (perhaps because of the cd cover), which isn't exactly the same. Grand and epic with a splendid recording (the Silva one with Nic Raine). A combination of powerful and gorgeous themes, and choir, in his very recognizable style. I'm wondering where I bought this one.
    Kazoo
  7. I wish I could appreciate The Last Valley and The Lion In Winter as much as most others. But there's plenty other titles for me to enjoy. I'll keep revisiting regularly no doubt.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Glad i have that on vinyl!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    This evening's John Barry listening...

My Life - now this one really is repetitive, but it's truly a mighty theme - a rare beauty indeed!
    Monte Walsh - wonderful score, great song whose melody is beautifully incorporated into the underscore, another exquisite theme and one brilliant piece of action music
    Eternal Echoes - this seems awfully poignant now - very reflective music, much moreso than Beyondness, I think (it lacks that one's killer melodies, though)
  8. Speed 2 - Mark Mancina

I'm fairly impressed with how Mancina wrote out the themes for the score, mixed it all in the suspense/action/love moments and keep the score going through the 70 minute running length.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  9. KevinSmith wrote
    Speed 2 - Mark Mancina

I'm fairly impressed with how Mancina wrote out the themes for the score, mixed it all in the suspense/action/love moments and keep the score going through the 70 minute running length.

I used to think to score wasn't all that great. Then I listened to the new release. My mind did an instant 180.

It's even more fun than the first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Glad i have that on vinyl!

Yay for clicks and pops. slant

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I wish I could appreciate The Last Valley and The Lion In Winter as much as most others. But there's plenty other titles for me to enjoy. I'll keep revisiting regularly no doubt.

Two of the very best, to each our own though. smile
  10. Lassie - Basil Poledouris

This score has a really good first track. The rest of it is nice, but it lacks anything to raise it up much higher than "nice" in my opinion. ***1/2 from me.
  11. The Luzhin Defence - Alexandre Desplat

I think this is one of Desplat's stronger scores. It does feel a little more emotional at times than some of his others. I'm one of those that has a harder time enjoying this man's work, though there are some that I've liked. I would put this score in my top 5 Desplat favorites, though I still don't have too many of his scores, so that's not saying too much. I like the first and last cues, and the love theme. The highlight of the score for me is the third track, "The Arrival," which I thought was really good. There are quite a few tracks in the score that are interesting, but not as enjoyable. A little too "clinical." I also give this one ***1/2.
  12. The Horse Whisperer - Thomas Newman

This is a fairly typical example of one of Newman's better scores. There are a lot of short tracks, quite a few tracks where nothing happens, and quite a few tracks that are just beautiful. My favorite tracks are "Double Divide," "Montana," "The Rhythm of the Horse," "Grace," "The Vast Continent," and "End Title." There are a lot of less impressive little tracks that litter this score up and weigh it down. Trimming some of those off would easily increasing my rating of this score, but as it is, I give it ***1/2. I do think score is almost as good as some of the best Newman has done. Almost in their league, though not quite.