• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2011
    Unstoppable - Harry Gregson-Williams

Fortunately, the CD is eminently stoppable. BORING!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It sucks large! Great art work though! Jim Titus is brilliant!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2011 edited
    NP: Afrika - Wataru Hokoyama

As Thor would put it... this is an Erik Woods score!

And THIS is one of my all time played cues! The variations on the main theme are superb! And then there is The Mission! Oh baby this score kicks some serious ass!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Afrika is indeed the stuff of legend, based on the sound of a legend.

You should check out the 10 minute suite by the Eminence Symphony Orchestra on this album. By the way that whole album is superb.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Unstoppable - Harry Gregson-Williams

Fortunately, the CD is eminently stoppable. BORING!

The film is abysmally bad, though. Can't remember a note of the music either.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    vomit
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: Marco - Taro Iwashiro

B E A U T I F U L!

Another winner by Taro Iwashiro.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    New score? More details please?
  2. Cristian wrote
    NP: Unbreakable - James Newton Howard

Superb score from start to finish, no weak cues here. The best cue for me it's The Orange Man. This cue gives me hope he will compose something similar for Green Lantern.

Totally agree. His best score to this day, because it actually has personality and color (literally, in the case of "The Orange Man"). Too bad The Last Airbender wasn't as good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Unbreakable is Shammy's best film by far but I consider Signs to be Howard's crowning achievement and one of the finest scores ever composed!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    True, but i'd add The village for JNH too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    We seem to have this discussion every few weeks! The Village is my favourite, but I do like all the Shyamalan scores, I really do. I thought Unbreakable was an absolutely awful film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Christodoulides wrote
    New score? More details please?

It's not a new score, it's an animation score and it was released in 1999.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Southall wrote
    We seem to have this discussion every few weeks! The Village is my favourite, but I do like all the Shyamalan scores, I really do. I thought Unbreakable was an absolutely awful film.

In my opinion Unbreakable is a great film and Signs is the best score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

moon

Cristian wrote
    In my opinion Unbreakable is a great film and Signs is the best score.

5,000,000 Woods Points for you!

punk beer punk beer punk

-Erik-
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm listening to "Rock House Jail" at the moment from The Rock and I was wondering of someone could explain the contributions of Zimmer, Glennie-Smith and Gregson-Williams in this.

Nick Glennie-Smith was hired to do the score, based on the additional work he did for Bad Boys, which Michael Bay loved. He wrote a complete score with a bit of help from Gregson-Williams (who Bruckheimer would become a huge fan of later on), but Bay rejected the themes and was on the verge of rejecting the whole score based on that.

This is where Hans Zimmer comes along. Zimmer wrote two of the main title themes and rearranged some of the score. Zimmer came with Don Harper, Steven M. Stern and with Russ Landau who co-wrote a small cue. Zimmer's direct contribution are the Main Title (first half of Hummell Gets the Rockets, not the action, that's a rare instance of a cue that Glennie-Smith did on his own), The Hummell speech in Alcatraz (right after the beginning of Rock House Jail), officially - the SEAL incursion into Alcatraz (though some rumors say that this might have been ghost-written by James Newton Howard, his assistant has told someone though that Zimmer called Howard if he can rip him off for the cue and Howard agreed), possibly Mason's Walk (until First Launch, that is a solo Harry Gregson-Williams piece, actually using his theme from the action introducing Nicolas Cage's character) and co-arranged Fort Walton-Kansas.

Harry Gregson-Williams is all over the place, starting with parts of In the Tunnels, the First Launch part is his, a part of Rocket Away and actually, about half of The Chase is written by him.

Asked about the score in an interview, Zimmer said that he didn't want the main credit there and that he was credited against his will. "It was always a Nick score", said Zimmer. Another interesting thing is that Harry Gregson-Williams is credited as the only additional composer in the film, he does NOT get a main credit, as he got on the album.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. It's a pity noone knows the details of what went on behind the scenes on the scoring of The Rock. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2011
    It is closer to Nick's type and style of scoring, from all those you mention.
  5. franz_conrad wrote
    It's a pity noone knows the details of what went on behind the scenes on the scoring of The Rock. wink

Knowing Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay?

All hell broke loose biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2011 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: The Social Network

Jeezus, this gets an Oscar nomination? Filmmusic has truly sunk to atrocious levels if this ever gets the Oscar. Which it will!

Bollocks. Who gets an Oscar isn't necessarily indicative of the general quality of film music. I personally think today's film music is all fine and healthy no matter who some film people decide to award.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Why oh why do we so enjoy getting wound up by film score Oscar nominations?

We? Speak for yourself. tongue

I enjoy the show as entertainment, but I'm one of the few film score fans who doesn't go nuts over it or hate it, or doing both of these things simultaneously (which most film score geeks appear to do).

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    NP: POWER OF ONE (Hans Zimmer)

Ouch, don't like that one at all. Not that Zimmer's african thing always turns me off, I love the stuff in Tears of the sun for instance, but my ears find nothing pleasing in this album at all.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2011 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    It just amazes me how people call a film crap, yet they absolutely love the music. Don't you just like the movie a little then? I could never separate the music from the film. That's why 90 % of the films that I love have great scores. It's such an integral part of a movie that I could never hate any of those films, even though I know in my heart they aren't masterpieces. If a score is fun, the movie's fun. If a score moves me, the film moves me. Only my opinion of course.

Whenever I read posts like this I always think "this guy isn't a film music fan, he's a film fan". Not meaning to judge, it just sounds like you're saying that the music can't be good on its own.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: POWER OF ONE (Hans Zimmer)

Ouch, don't like that one at all. Not that Zimmer's african thing always turns me off, I love the stuff in Tears of the sun for instance, but my ears find nothing pleasing in this album at all.

Peter smile

I didn't either at first. I actually sold my first copy. It was too much traditional music and too little "Zimmer" in it. But then I got it for free as a gift, I started listening to it again and it grew on me. "Mother Africa" is just pure bliss, and the title song is really good. Not all the source/trad. songs are brilliant listening, but overall it works as a great concept album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    I didn't either at first. I actually sold my first copy. It was too much traditional music and too little "Zimmer" in it. But then I got it for free as a gift, I started listening to it again and it grew on me. "Mother Africa" is just pure bliss, and the title song is really good. Not all the source/trad. songs are brilliant listening, but overall it works as a great concept album.

I will have to listen to your examples again. Perhaps some repeat listens might make its genius dawn on me.

Peter smile
  6. franz_conrad wrote
    It's a pity noone knows the details of what went on behind the scenes on the scoring of The Rock. wink

Very interesting Franz. But if I may point out, your post follows another which seems to relate in detail what went on with the scoring of The Rock. Are you blind? rolleyes
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  7. Southall wrote

I wasn't that big a fan of The Village. I liked the percussion-heavy suspense cues, but I'm not a fan of solo violin, which is the centerpiece of the score.

Oh, and Unbreakable is one of all-time favorite films. Maybe Shyamalan's best, too bad he never made the sequel...
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Unbreakable is Shammy's best film by far but I consider Signs to be Howard's crowning achievement and one of the finest scores ever composed!

-Erik-

That's Newton Howard's second or third-best (I also really liked King Kong). "The Hand of Fate" alone is worth the price for admission.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Boo! tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I totally agree!

I do love the Vaughan Williamsness of Unbreakable though any time I listen to it makes me want to put on the real deal.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt