• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011
    I seem to have lost my Judge Dredd album so haven't listened to it in a decade, which is a pity because I remember liking it a lot.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Next Three Days - Danny Elfman

Just goes through its gears without making any real impression at all, and never reaching any great heights. Probably one of the most generic scores Elfman has ever written.
  1. NP: The Mechanic (The Assassin's Edition) - Mark Isham

I suppose everything about this score needs to be kept in context of the movie. And as such, there's a lot of rhythmic percussion driving through a lot of this score and when it's not the driving percussion it's some ebbing-and-flowing ambient soundscapes. This statement may have you thinking that the comments are going to be pretty negative but they are not. And that's due in large part to the orchestration that Isham's chosen for this score and to the suite style of this particular edition of the score. I imagine that this way of putting together the score will work better than having the individual tracks stopping and starting.

This edition runs to just over 50 minutes (the complete score runs to 70+ minutes) and is divided into 6 tracks (the final two are short and may just be direct lifts from the complete score version). One track here runs to over 20 minutes in length. It's rhythm that permeates throughout the score and for me the talent of Isham is highlighted by the fact that he uses various orchestrations to perpetuate the rhythm in an interesting, constantly changing way. Yes there's the seemingly ubiquitous ostinato strings and the thumping synth percussion but there's also variations such as bass guitar providing the beat and tam-tams (I believe).

The director wanted a "hook" for the score that would make it easy to identify this score and Isham provides this hook and is quite memorable when it's played by electric guitar.

I'm not sure what the differences between this suite form and the track-by-track complete score are (save for the suite vs individual track formats) but listening to the beginning of some of the suites and the corresponding tracks (the title of the suite tracks seem to be taken from corresponding tracks from the other release that arise at approximately the correct place in the track-by-track version if these tracks had just been spliced together to make the suites) it seems Isham has tailored the ends of the tracks to seamlessly (on the whole) from one to the other. And remember, there's 20 minutes missing from this Assassin's Edition.

I like this version with the suite form - and I'm less looking forward to the track-by-track Complete Collector's Edition - and there's enough variation to keep the interest keen even in the 20 minute suite. I'm not that familiar with Isham's work to place it at an appropriate level in his discography.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Three years ago if you'd told me I'd be starting to get tired of the ostinato strings I'd have said you were crazy. shocked
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. Scribe wrote
    Three years ago if you'd told me I'd be starting to get tired of the ostinato strings I'd have said you were crazy. shocked

I wouldn't want to give the impression that the use of ostinato strings is heard throughout this score. But it is used as one of several ostinato devices to drive the rhythm.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011 edited
    No, I understood, I just picked up on that particular point because I've been thinking about it lately... smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cristian wrote
    NP: Four Gods (Legend) - Joe Genius Hisaishi

cool

Do you honestly think he's a genius? I like the Hisaishi music I've heard so far but IMO he's not in the league of his compatriot Ryuichi Sakamoto.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Both are geniuses. Period.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    In my mind anyone who can write a heartwarming melody and get it orchestrated is a genius beer
  3. Timmer wrote
    Cristian wrote
    NP: Four Gods (Legend) - Joe Genius Hisaishi

cool

Do you honestly think he's a genius? I like the Hisaishi music I've heard so far but IMO he's not in the league of his compatriot Ryuichi Sakamoto.

For the sheer enjoyment of listening to their music, for me, Hisaishi is way above Sakamoto. Do I get any points?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, minus 100.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. I'm the Alan Davies of MainTitles community! sad
  5. And I notice that Isham's The Mechanic is one of the Top Soundtracks To Own For January titles from "Film Music Magazine".
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: POWER OF ONE (Hans Zimmer)

Gearing up to the Tanzania trip in 10 days. Great source music as well as Zimmer's score. He's in his best element here.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Thor wrote

Gearing up to the Tanzania trip in 10 days. Great source music as well as Zimmer's score. He's in his best element here.

Picked that up for $6 recently.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor wrote

Picked that up for $6 recently.

Great buy!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TANGO & CASH (Harold Faltermeyer)

Could have done with some serious re-arrangement (it doesn't hold up well in C&C), but when it's funky, it's really funky! Plus, it has the autograph by the man himself. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DAFT PUNK - tron:legacy bonus tracks special edition thingy

Friggin amazing; yeah, why should we nominate a really innovative and great in all aspects score this year? Let's go for the guy who makes love to the guitar and our innocent trendy souls again.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm the Alan Davies of MainTitles community! sad

biggrin beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Friggin amazing; yeah, why should we nominate a really innovative and great in all aspects score this year? Let's go for the guy who makes love to the guitar and our innocent trendy souls again.

Why oh why do we so enjoy getting wound up by film score Oscar nominations?
  6. I agree. On the one hand we say that they are rubbish and we don't care. Then we are rooting for our favourites!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Southall wrote
    I seem to have lost my Judge Dredd album so haven't listened to it in a decade, which is a pity because I remember liking it a lot.

You know, it's going fairly cheap on a thing called the internet...
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    Let's go for the guy who makes love to the guitar and our innocent trendy souls again.

Gustavo Santaolalla is not nominated this year. wink
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I agree. On the one hand we say that they are rubbish and we don't care. Then we are rooting for our favourites!

I don't make many illusions about being excited about the Oscars. They may have questionable tastes, but I'm a sucker for prestige.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Let's go for the guy who makes love to the guitar and our innocent trendy souls again.

Gustavo Santaolalla is not nominated this year. wink

cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Why oh why do we so enjoy getting wound up by film score Oscar nominations?

True. Just for the sake of conversation.

And it's a DAMN FINE score btw, ! punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR CRASH - John Barry

Another score John Barry has probably selectively forgotten he ever had any involvement in wink It's full of themes and entertains me greatly, that's all that counts to me! cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote

It only just occured to me this wasn't nominated. Stupid Oscars. slant

I mean, I still want Powell to win, but I would have liked to see this get a nomination.
  9. Timmer wrote

Another score John Barry has probably selectively forgotten he ever had any involvement in wink It's full of themes and entertains me greatly, that's all that counts to me! cool

I see that BSX have released a 7-minute suite of music from Barry's score for Star Crash as a digital download. You would recommend this Tim?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I see that BSX have released a 7-minute suite of music from Barry's score for Star Crash as a digital download. You would recommend this Tim?

It's a pasted together track tagged on the end of the album to push it over the 40 minute mark. I don't care for it but the album as a whole is great fun.