• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: The Ghost Writer (Alexandre Desplat)

It's official. I'm just not a fan of Desplat's work. Even though I like the sound and rhythm more, I just can't appreciate it. I'm just not a fan of his style. It's his strongest work of the entire career, but it gets a 3 star rating from me, like every other desplat score from this year.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011 edited
    I'm not a fan of Desplat's either but when he delivers... he DE-LIVERS! And boy did he deliver with his score to THE GHOST WRITER! "The Truth About Ruth" is top notch film scoring. His score is also the pulse of the film. It propels it forward. With out the score the film stops dead in it's tracks, and it's a bloody good movie, BTW, but made better by Desplat's score.

I don't praise the man too often but THE GHOST WRITER is a clear winner in my books!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011
    Do you ever get those moments where you know you like a soundtrack, but on a certain listen you REALLY like it? Well I had that with The Ghost Writer the other day and boy was that a good listen. cool
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    I'm not a fan of Desplat's either but when he delivers... he DE-LIVERS! And boy did he deliver with his score to THE GHOST WRITER! "The Truth About Ruth" is top notch film scoring. His score is also the pulse of the film. It propels it forward. With out the score the film stops dead in it's tracks, and it's a bloody good movie, BTW, but made better by Desplat's score.

I don't praise the man too often but THE GHOST WRITER is a clear winner in my books!

-Erik-

I must admit, the last 2 tracks deliver a whole different impression, makes me even change my rating from 3 to 3 and a half
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: The Ghost Writer (Alexandre Desplat)

It's official. I'm just not a fan of Desplat's work. Even though I like the sound and rhythm more, I just can't appreciate it. I'm just not a fan of his style. It's his strongest work of the entire career, but it gets a 3 star rating from me, like every other desplat score from this year.

soapbox
    Kazoo
  3. Bregt wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

soapbox

read the previous statement Bregt

and what the hell is this new icon now? wink
  4. Thomas Glorieux wrote

Remember, Thomas, with great power comes great responsibility. wave
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. franz_conrad wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Remember, Thomas, with great power comes great responsibility. wave

yeah, but I ain't got no spidy powers
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That's a wonderful score for a very effective movie.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. :sigh:

In other Desplat news, I keep humming the main theme to Girl With a Pearl Earring. That's not even my favorite Desplat score...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Shipping News - Christopher Young

Gorgeous album. Probably my favourite Young.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Mwahahahaha! Welcome to our ever-increasing club! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    The Shipping News - Christopher Young

Gorgeous album. Probably my favourite Young.

It's Top 3 for me. Hellbound and Murder in the First are part of that list!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Murder in the First - Christopher Young

I just took this CD off the shelf and noticed on the front cover a message saying "To James, my friend, love Christopher Young" - I must have asked him to sign it when I interviewed him (years ago). Had forgotten all about it. Nice surprise!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    beer shocked
  7. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Just as long as it's the soundtrack fans and not the filmmakers themselves who join that club. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Draughtsmen's Contract - Michael Nyman

My first Nyman score ever, and not particularly liking what I'm hearing. In terms of minimalism, I prefer Philip Glass.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

The strongest work of his career? It's pretty good but what draws you that conclusion?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Just as long as it's the soundtrack fans and not the filmmakers themselves who join that club. wink

Don't worry my friend. The largest portion of those people you mention seem to have still some taste left, judging from the critical success of Desplat during the last 5 or more years wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Desplat? Give me Tomita any day. Or Kraftwerk.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You spelled 'tomato' wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote

I just took this CD off the shelf and noticed on the front cover a message saying "To James, my friend, love Christopher Young" - I must have asked him to sign it when I interviewed him (years ago). Had forgotten all about it. Nice surprise!

Another nice surprise is how good it is - I'd forgotten.

Anyway, NP: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Ennio Morricone

Film music doesn't get any better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote

I've added the track "Henry Young" from MURDER to my "Religious Sound" iTunes playlist.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

The strongest work of his career? It's pretty good but what draws you that conclusion?

Yeah, it's probably his best score of 2010, but there are way too many other contenders for strongest work of his career...
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Yeah, it's probably his best score of 2010, but there are way too many other contenders for strongest work of his career...

Like Fantastic Mr Fox
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote

100 more kudos points to Mr Southall for appropriate use of a true statement.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith

Has anyone else ever noticed that one of the themes heavily resembles Hans Zimmer's Egyptian theme from The Prince of Egypt from the year before?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Which one?

-Erik-
    Erik Woods wrote
    Which one?

-Erik-

The one heard at the End of Sand Volcano (maybe it's the main theme).