• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith

Has anyone else ever noticed that one of the themes heavily resembles Hans Zimmer's Egyptian theme from The Prince of Egypt from the year before?

No, but it's my favourite Goldsmith score. It's not so strange that there are harmonic similarities between them, though, as....you know...they both take place in EGYPT.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Has anyone else ever noticed that one of the themes heavily resembles Hans Zimmer's Egyptian theme from The Prince of Egypt from the year before?

No, but it's my favourite Goldsmith score. It's not so strange that there are harmonic similarities between them, though, as....you know...they both take place in EGYPT.

Pretty much what I was thinking.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. BACK TO THE FUTURE - ALAN SILVESTRI

The album is worth it for the one cue 'It's Been Educational / Clocktower' alone. Anyway, there was never any doubt I'd enjoy this presentation more than the bootleg.

Great Silvestri. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. KevinSmith wrote

And the Egyptian theme in Prince of Egypt is note-for-note from Bernstein's Ten Commandments, I kid you not.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

I never need an excuse to listen to this score but in honor of its well deserved Academy Award nomination I salute you John Powell. You bring us hope that the traditional Hollywood symphonic film score isn't dead!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

And the Egyptian theme in Prince of Egypt is note-for-note from Bernstein's Ten Commandments, I kid you not.

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but I've always found that there is very little "Egyptian" about Bernstein's score. Sounds, in fact, very "English", like an Elgar piece or something.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: The Ghost Writer (Alexandre Desplat)

It's official. I'm just not a fan of Desplat's work. Even though I like the sound and rhythm more, I just can't appreciate it. I'm just not a fan of his style. It's his strongest work of the entire career, but it gets a 3 star rating from me, like every other desplat score from this year.

Mwahahahaha! Welcome to our ever-increasing club! wink

I was never a fan of his work, his most enjoyable score for me was The Golden Compass, and that was because it was the most mainstream work of all. The Ghost Whisperer (second listen) is the best of all the Desplat works of this year (which is a dissapointment considering the average Harry Potter is in that list) and the rating changed from 3 to 3 and a half because of the last 2 tracks (which are very good)

so, I think I'll stay in this ever increasing club for a long time wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Join us. Don't be afraid. It is good in here. Cosy and warm and safe.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Martijn wrote
    Join us. Don't be afraid. It is good in here. Cosy and warm and safe.

thanks smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And certainly non-geeky.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. NP: Spider Baby - Ronald Stein

I know nothing of this film but from the sound of the score there must be a lot of creeping about going on as the score is full of low register winds and long notes that is only occasionally punctuated with shrill muted brass and more aggressive strings when there's a shock onscreen (presumably).

The end credits tracks is a jaunty little number in the same vein as The Addams Family or The Night Walker.

This clip highlights some of the music and definitely encourages me to seek the film out!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm currently listening to my "Scores of 2010" playlist and I've stumbled upon Pinar Toprak's score to THE LIGHTHOUSE. The cue "She Belong In here/John's Rescue" is absolutely heartbreaking. Lovely piece. I must explore this score some more...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm still feeling pretty crap but I am gradually recovering, one of my oldest friends, Ian, came up to visit me and has only just left after being here since this morning, it certainly perked me up and we drank loads of tea, played multiple games of SCRABBLE while chatting and listening to film music cool

Played all these today...

BRAVEHEART - Horner ( Ian's choice )
    INSIDE MAN - Blanchard
    MISSION TO MARS - Morricone
    OUT OF AFRICA - Barry
    DIRTY HARRY - Schifrin ( Ian's choice )
    SALEM'S LOT - Gordon
    THE INCREDIBLES - Giacchino ( Ian's choice )

An ecclectic and fun afternoon.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Eclectic's the word! shocked
    Glad you're on the mend, old boy. beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sounds like a great day of listening, Tim.

Back to my "Scores of 2010" playlist. Does anyone else have Lennertz' score to MARMADUKE? No, didn't think so. Too bad because he writes a bad ass action cue called "Saving Marmaduke" that just rocked my sound system!

-Erik-
  7. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

It's official. I'm just not a fan of Desplat's work. Even though I like the sound and rhythm more, I just can't appreciate it. I'm just not a fan of his style. It's his strongest work of the entire career, but it gets a 3 star rating from me, like every other desplat score from this year.

I was never a fan of his work, his most enjoyable score for me was The Golden Compass, and that was because it was the most mainstream work of all. The Ghost Whisperer (second listen) is the best of all the Desplat works of this year (which is a dissapointment considering the average Harry Potter is in that list) and the rating changed from 3 to 3 and a half because of the last 2 tracks (which are very good)

The Ghost Whisperer?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Eclectic's the word! shocked
    Glad you're on the mend, old boy. beer

Thanks! Food still taste weird though slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

The Ghost Whisperer?

Sorry, The Ghost Writer, I was looking at The Horse Whisperer's cover at the moment of writing that sentence cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow - Edward Shearmur

Love it , love it , love it , love it , love it , love it !
    Did I mention I loved it ? biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    I think you forgot to tell us that you love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011 edited
    Cristian wrote

Well , for those who came in late ... I love it ! biggrin wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Cristian wrote

Maybe he's just having his Philip Glass alter ego moment?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Still playing my "Scores of 2010" playlist and while I didn't like the score as a whole, Christophe Beck's action cue "The Hydra" from Jason Percy Jackson and the Azkaban Olympians of Ga'Hoole is quite stunning!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LE CINEMA DE MICHEL LEGRAND

This 4CD box thing has been spinning on my iTunes for the last few hours. Jazz, dissonance and swirling melodies. Almost too much at times.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

This 4CD box thing has been spinning on my iTunes for the last few hours. Jazz, dissonance and swirling melodies. Almost too much at times.

It's a fantastic set, I got it quite cheap and it was more than worth every penny.
  9. NP: The Social Network

Jeezus, this gets an Oscar nomination? Filmmusic has truly sunk to atrocious levels if this ever gets the Oscar. Which it will!

Jerry Goldsmith was truly born in the wrong time. Now he would have received 50 Oscars for his repertoire and work
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: Four Gods (Legend) - Joe Genius Hisaishi

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

It's a fantastic set, I got it quite cheap and it was more than worth every penny.

Same here. Got it amazingly cheap (less than $30 or something...it was crazy). So I guess that weighs up for the exorbitantly expensive Delerue set I got, which is probably the most expensive soundtrack item I've ever bought.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011
    Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life - Alan Silvestri

Some very dull parts but the themes are good (one of them recycled from Eraser, or is it my imagination?) and the action music is as good as anything this composer has done in the time since.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011 edited
    Pretty solid score. The highlights for me are the two cues near the end of the album - "The Cradle of Life" and "Pandora's Box" - kinda Indiana Jonesesque with that mythical, mystical, mysterious sound. As for the Eraser influence... well, Eraser sounds like Judge Dredd, etc, etc, etc.

-Erik-