• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Let's go for the guy who makes love to the guitar and our innocent trendy souls again.

Gustavo Santaolalla is not nominated this year. wink

cry

lol
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Timmer wrote
    Cristian wrote
    NP: Four Gods (Legend) - Joe Genius Hisaishi

cool

Do you honestly think he's a genius? I like the Hisaishi music I've heard so far but IMO he's not in the league of his compatriot Ryuichi Sakamoto.

Yes, I honestly think he's a genius. He wrote so many scores that are absolutely brilliant, he wrote themes and melodies that are memorable, he can write a melody that moves your heart in his sleep, he plays piano so well, his music is always melodic and emotional, yes he definitely is a genius!
  1. Cristian wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Cristian wrote

cool

Do you honestly think he's a genius? I like the Hisaishi music I've heard so far but IMO he's not in the league of his compatriot Ryuichi Sakamoto.

Yes, I honestly think he's a genius. He wrote so many scores that are absolutely brilliant, he wrote themes and melodies that are memorable, he can write a melody that moves your heart in his sleep, he plays piano so well, his music is always melodic and emotional, yes he definitely is a genius!

Anyone who can write a score like Departures and Ponyo with the same pen is a genius.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Cristian wrote

cool

Anyone who can write a score like Departures and Ponyo with the same pen is a genius.

Legend is mindblowing. Not all of his scores are though; they're repetitive, many of them. But he's written really brilliant scores.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Trek - Michael Giacchino

Very entertaining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Gorky Park - James Horner

One of the early Horner 'building block' scores - lots of this material has found its way into later works. It has the characteristic roughness that defines his early-80s scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Jerry Goldsmith

C'est magnifique!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2011
    Cristian wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Cristian wrote

cool

Fair nuff! He's a very fine composer, very melodic but I wouldn't describe him as a genius, only my opinion of course.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

C'est magnifique!

^
    This, on the other hand, IS a work of genius! Only my opinion of course. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Scent of a Woman - Thomas Newman

The main theme has the clear influence of Miller's Crossing in it.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  2. NP: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - James Horner

Listening to the "Epilogue/End Title" which is a great summary cue from this most excellent score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. KevinSmith wrote
    Scent of a Woman - Thomas Newman

The main theme has the clear influence of Miller's Crossing in it.

One of his more underrated scores. "Park Ave" is beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

C'est magnifique!

^
    This, on the other hand, IS a work of genius! Only my opinion of course. wink

Not only yours my boy! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LAGAAN (A.R. Rahman)

Rahman at his best!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Kung Fu Panda - John Powell and Hans Zimmer

Another brilliant score from a Dreamworks animated film. Memorable, fully developed themes, high octane action and genuine beauty. "Oogway Ascends" is down right gorgeous. The erhu makes such a wonderful sound but then again I'm a sucker for the sounds of the far-east!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JUDGE DREDD - Alan Silvestri

Crap film, great score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I like the movie actually... but you are dead on about the score. One of Silvestri's finest!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2011 edited
    CHRISTOPHER YOUNG - black tulip

Colorful, song-driven middle eastern score, which for one isn't all doom-riden and mesmerizing, but very varied and pleasant a listening experience on cd. This and CREATION are 2 sides of Young i'd never imagine he could do so good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PREDATOR 2 - Alan Silvestri

After my last play I have to play this, one of my very favourite Silvestri scores punk
  4. Timmer wrote

Crap film, great score!

One of those scores that makes the film a little more fun to watch than if they didn't have such music.

It just amazes me how people call a film crap, yet they absolutely love the music. Don't you just like the movie a little then? I could never separate the music from the film. That's why 90 % of the films that I love have great scores. It's such an integral part of a movie that I could never hate any of those films, even though I know in my heart they aren't masterpieces. If a score is fun, the movie's fun. If a score moves me, the film moves me. Only my opinion of course.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

Crap film, great score!

One of those scores that makes the film a little more fun to watch than if they didn't have such music.

It just amazes me how people call a film crap, yet they absolutely love the music. Don't you just like the movie a little then? I could never separate the music from the film. That's why 90 % of the films that I love have great scores. It's such an integral part of a movie that I could never hate any of those films, even though I know in my heart they aren't masterpieces. If a score is fun, the movie's fun. If a score moves me, the film moves me. Only my opinion of course.

I have no problem seperating the score from the film as a stand alone enjoyment.

As for DREDD, yeah, I can watch it on a goofy level, my problem ( or more accurately, the films failing ) is how much they messed with a comic strip I enjoyed, Stallone couldn't wait to ditch the Dredd costume so he could run around in a vest showing his muscles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It just so happens, that film music is two things: 1. connected to the narrative and film it accompanies and for which it was written, but also 2. is music; and as music, happens to have stand-alone qualities (well most of it anyway) therefore it's very logical to echoe to certain people outside its mother-medium as well.
  5. If there wasn't that second option then there would be no need to release CDs that were not C&C?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. I have no problem enjoying the music away from the film: as I have said before, the majority of what I listen to is from films and the like that I haven't seen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    As for DREDD, yeah, I can watch it on a goofy level, my problem ( or more accurately, the films failing ) is how much they messed with a comic strip I enjoyed, Stallone couldn't wait to ditch the Dredd costume so he could run around in a vest showing his muscles.

You might get a kick out of watching this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6g2FTyso9E

-Erik-
  7. Timmer wrote

Having no knowledge of the Dredd comic, or any comic for that matter, I can see why you would call the film crap. I just enjoy it for what it is, mindless fun, never taking itself seriously. Besides the costume ditching did have a positive outcome, not even you Tim can deny that. We got to see more of Diane Lane's perfectly formed figure. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I have no problem enjoying the music away from the film: as I have said before, the majority of what I listen to is from films and the like that I haven't seen.

Well yeah I totally understand that, but what about the other way around. Watching the film, and not even having the music cloud your judgment on it. I can understand non-film music fans could do that, but surely not us film score fans? I'll always judge a film on how it sounds.

Though I know I also like films where the score is awful. So that makes my argument above pretty useless.
  9. It's difficult for me now to watch a film without listening to the music but I'm not sure that it has much of an effect on whether I enjoy the film or not. There are certainly moments in many films where the the music adds immensely to the enjoyment of the film, but in the main it's the story and/or visual impact that has the main effect on me.

I very rarely am able to associate score developments or score associations within a movie and if a "film score fan" is someone who is constantly striving to see how a score is intergrated into the fabric of the film then I may not be a film score fan in the truest sense.

For me, I can be watching a film and a particular theme, phrase or orchestration will grab my attention and it's a purely musical thing (in the main). Which is probably why I'm not too bothered to watch a movie. If the score's melodic, non-thematic, ambient, bombastic in a way that I have an immediate affinity to then that's the score that I'm attracted to.

Maybe I'm just a music fan whose particular genre is in film music because of the variety it offers, the whole gamut of emotions ranging from romantic to out-and-out adventure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I have no problem enjoying the music away from the film: as I have said before, the majority of what I listen to is from films and the like that I haven't seen.

Well yeah I totally understand that, but what about the other way around. Watching the film, and not even having the music cloud your judgment on it. I can understand non-film music fans could do that, but surely not us film score fans? I'll always judge a film on how it sounds.

Though I know I also like films where the score is awful. So that makes my argument above pretty useless.

I can do it too. There's a lot of films i like and whose music i detest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I tried to listen to Philippe Sarde's La Princesse de Montpensier but I was bored to tears with it. Maybe I'm not it the right mood for it right now.

Moving onto... ummm... haven't decided...

Ooooooh, now there's something I haven't played in a while.

NP: Magnolia - Jon Brion

Magnificent film and a pretty darn good film score as well.

-Erik-