• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Deathly Hallows - Desplat

I just realized from listening to this that I'm actually not a huge fan of grand fantasy scores. Whether it's Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Golden Compass, or any music for any Michael Bay film, I'm not too bowled over by a lot of those scores.

I could do just as well with a piano and cello... cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    As for DREDD, yeah, I can watch it on a goofy level, my problem ( or more accurately, the films failing ) is how much they messed with a comic strip I enjoyed, Stallone couldn't wait to ditch the Dredd costume so he could run around in a vest showing his muscles.

You might get a kick out of watching this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6g2FTyso9E

-Erik-

I did! biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    As for DREDD, yeah, I can watch it on a goofy level, my problem ( or more accurately, the films failing ) is how much they messed with a comic strip I enjoyed, Stallone couldn't wait to ditch the Dredd costume so he could run around in a vest showing his muscles.

Having no knowledge of the Dredd comic, or any comic for that matter, I can see why you would call the film crap. I just enjoy it for what it is, mindless fun, never taking itself seriously. Besides the costume ditching did have a positive outcome, not even you Tim can deny that. We got to see more of Diane Lane's perfectly formed figure. punk

:shrug:
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It's difficult for me now to watch a film without listening to the music but I'm not sure that it has much of an effect on whether I enjoy the film or not. There are certainly moments in many films where the the music adds immensely to the enjoyment of the film, but in the main it's the story and/or visual impact that has the main effect on me.

I very rarely am able to associate score developments or score associations within a movie and if a "film score fan" is someone who is constantly striving to see how a score is intergrated into the fabric of the film then I may not be a film score fan in the truest sense.

For me, I can be watching a film and a particular theme, phrase or orchestration will grab my attention and it's a purely musical thing (in the main). Which is probably why I'm not too bothered to watch a movie. If the score's melodic, non-thematic, ambient, bombastic in a way that I have an immediate affinity to then that's the score that I'm attracted to.

Maybe I'm just a music fan whose particular genre is in film music because of the variety it offers, the whole gamut of emotions ranging from romantic to out-and-out adventure.

I can go into films in two ways, 1) as an analyst, deciphering and analyzing all aspects of the filmmaking process - including how the music works (this is basically the film theoretician kicking in) or 2) just enjoying it and letting myself go. It depends on attitude and angle from the get-go, really.

In any case, neither of this has anything to do with why I listen to soundtracks, which is - and will forever be - just pure music listening like any other genre.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ANTHOLOGY (Ennio Morricone)

Great 2CD set with lots of melodic, superb themes. Some of Ennio's typical "verfremdungseffects" here and there, also inside beautiful tracks, but not too many.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You forgot a 3rd factor:

3. booze
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    You forgot a 3rd factor:

3. booze

Booze is always a factor, yes! beer
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    You forgot a 3rd factor:

3. booze

I think you meant to say a 1st factor wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I would but i don't want to scare Thor away; there's always the danger of him not letting himself online Saturday nights when he comes home (or better: Sunday mornings) drunk and posting to say hi to his dear friends on mt! smile :party: kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2011 edited
    shocked Well, obviously I forgot just how magnificent Jon Brion's score to MAGNOLIA was. I must listen to this more. Superb stuff!

NP: A Simple Twist Of Fate - Cliff Eidelman

Eidelman is always a consummate professional as he always strives to produce music to the best of his ability no matter what genre he works in . While he has been producing scores for these smaller dramas for years now they are still incredible well crafted brimming with lyrical melodies. This score is no different. Eidelman is sadly under appreciated in Hollywood these days but that doesn't mean we have to ignore him. I haven't heard an Eidelman score I didn't like and this score is no different. This Varese CD breezes by at a brisk 28 minutes but leaves a lasting impression. The score is dominated by light piano themes, airy woodwinds, harp and strings but it's not all cutesy as the front cover might suggest. There are a few dark and dramatic cues sprinkled in throughout the album's playing time. This album makes me want to listen to more of the man's music. I've just quickly cued up Christopher Columbus: The Discovery to play once this is done.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. NP: Czas Honoru (Time of Honor) (Bartosz Chajdecki)

Absolutely brilliant, powerful, emotional rollercoaster ride that is chockfull of highlights. Highly recommended!
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    shocked Well, obviously I forgot just how magnificent Jon Brion's score to MAGNOLIA was. I must listen to this more. Superb stuff!

NP: A Simple Twist Of Fate - Cliff Eidelman

Eidelman is always a consummate professional as he always strives to produce music to the best of his ability no matter what genre he works in . While he has been producing scores for these smaller dramas for years now they are still incredible well crafted brimming with lyrical melodies. This score is no different. Eidelman is sadly under appreciated in Hollywood these days but that doesn't mean we have to ignore him. I haven't heard an Eidelman score I didn't like and this score is no different. This Varese CD breezes by at a brisk 28 minutes but leaves a lasting impression. The score is dominated by light piano themes, airy woodwinds, harp and strings but it's not all cutesy as the front cover might suggest. There are a few dark and dramatic cues sprinkled in throughout the album's playing time. This album makes me want to listen to more of the man's music. I've just quickly cued up Christopher Columbus: The Discovery to play once this is done.

-Erik-

Hard to believe that Eidelman is approaching 50 now. I remember him as the new, hot, young composer in his late 20's that blasted on to the scene around 1990.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Deathly Hallows - Desplat

I just realized from listening to this that I'm actually not a huge fan of grand fantasy scores. Whether it's Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Golden Compass, or any music for any Michael Bay film, I'm not too bowled over by a lot of those scores.

beer You are exactly like me. Just give me any day a simple beautiful melody on piano or violin and I'm happy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    A simple twist of fate is gorgeous. Eidelman's underusage is the biggest loss for modern film music, if you ask me.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Bubba Ho-Tep: Brian Tyler

One of the cooler sounding horror scores out there.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  3. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Czas Honoru (Time of Honor) (Bartosz Chajdecki)

Absolutely brilliant, powerful, emotional rollercoaster ride that is chockfull of highlights. Highly recommended!

What's this? cheesy

Might go look for it...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    It seems to be Polish but I can't figure out how you would buy it from the USA...probably a lot easier for you guys...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Who said anything 'bout buying? Try before you buy is my motto. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    iouuuuuuu iouuuuuuuuuuu iouuuuuuuuu
  5. Cristian wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Deathly Hallows - Desplat

beer You are exactly like me. Just give me any day a simple beautiful melody on piano or violin and I'm happy.

I think the mark of a really good composer is that they can write just as well for a small ensemble as they can for a 100-piece orchestra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    The Shipping News - Christopher Young

Gorgeous album. Probably my favourite Young.

Shipping news good. Murder in the first goooooooooooooooooood.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2011
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Cristian wrote

I think the mark of a really good composer is that they can write just as well for a small ensemble as they can for a 100-piece orchestra.

Not that composers who can write well for an 100-piece orchestra are overabundant either... wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. NP: Star Trek: What Little Girls Are Made Of - Fred Steiner

I bought the "Best of Star Trek - Volume 2" selection of music from the original series, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and The Next Generation today and I was listening through the original series suites.

I was listening to the 4 minute suite from this episode and I came across a piece of music I'd heard tracked on another episode I was watching the other day. I remember thinking then that that would be a sequence of music I would love to have and I let out a soft audible exclamation when I heard it on this suite.

For anyone remotely interested in the piece of music I'm talking about it appears about 3 minutes into this clip.

Yes! It only lasts about 40 seconds but YES!! biggrin
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: GRAND CANYON - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

A firm favourite. Not just a great score but a fooking excellent album altogether.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: BAND OF BROTHERS - MICHAEL KAMEN

I arrived home from work this evening to find my stepfather and his son watching the DVD box-set of this incredible series that I had bought him for Christmas. I had to re-visit Kamen's score. I've had just the opening titles music on repeat at least five times already. Just beautiful. Such a talented composer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Star Trek: What Little Girls Are Made Of - Fred Steiner

I bought the "Best of Star Trek - Volume 2" selection of music from the original series, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and The Next Generation today and I was listening through the original series suites.

I was listening to the 4 minute suite from this episode and I came across a piece of music I'd heard tracked on another episode I was watching the other day. I remember thinking then that that would be a sequence of music I would love to have and I let out a soft audible exclamation when I heard it on this suite.

For anyone remotely interested in the piece of music I'm talking about it appears about 3 minutes into this clip.

Yes! It only lasts about 40 seconds but YES!! biggrin

Most familiar and very Herrmannesque wink

...a very 'padded up' Lurch too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    NP: GRAND CANYON - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

A firm favourite. Not just a great score but a fooking excellent album altogether.

cool

Still one of my favourite JNH albums beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How is it like ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2011 edited
    It's... brrrriliant.

(too drunk to bother going into detail although this is the often championed piece from the score...)

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LSH wrote
    NP: BAND OF BROTHERS - MICHAEL KAMEN

I arrived home from work this evening to find my stepfather and his son watching the DVD box-set of this incredible series that I had bought him for Christmas. I had to re-visit Kamen's score. I've had just the opening titles music on repeat at least five times already. Just beautiful. Such a talented composer.

We think alike. I gave my father the BOB DVD set for Christmas too! smile
    I am extremely serious.