• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011
    I'm spinning 84 personally selected Barry tracks. Right now I'm listening to something I've never heard before; "Yesternight Suite."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've never really warmed to Poledouris' score because of the long suites. I may revisit using these shorter tracks. Thanks!

It is better in the 'short tracks' presentation. Never understood why they made the album the way they did, with the long suites, not to mention the completely wrong track times. I won't ever listen to it again. I prefer the version Martijn gave me once.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. I think that suites do have their place - the recent The Mechanic score is a case in point - but there's very few suites that have been put together (excluding manufactured end title cues) that I prefer.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. plindboe wrote

Well, you might totally disagree with my second point, but my main point that "Who gets an Oscar isn't necessarily indicative of the general quality of film music" is still unaddressed. The only way that initial statement could be true is with the assumption that the academy is perfect. We know that it's far from perfect though, and whether a crappy score wins or not has nothing to do with the quality of film music today.

That said, I don't agree with you that everything sounds the same and there are no independent voices. Sure there's a bit of truth in that statement, but it's way too overextended. There are plenty of composers with their own voices, Desplat being an obvious example. Also Hollywood does not equal the world. Illaramendi, Kilar, Preisner, Coulais, Cases, Hisaishi, Rombi, Morricone and countless other extraordinary talents are still out there working. I can only make sense of your post if I assume that everything you listen to is MV/RC scores, and even that is problematic, as composers with unique voices has emerged over time from MV/RC as well, for instance John Powell. Even Hans Zimmer ("universally" considered the problem with today's film music) has tried daring new approaches, has revolutionized the industry and has changed dramatically over time.

And I do agree with D, that the doom and gloom attitude among some film score fans is tiring. There's plenty of extraordinary music out there if you simply open your ears and expand your horizon.

Peter smile

Perhaps it's becoming tiring because more and more people are beginning to realize it too. And the reason you mention all these names goes to show that you have to mention European names to state your statement. That goes to show today's music (definitely in America) is now far from what it was back in the earlier years.

I know great music still comes forward, and yes there are numerous composers who can still bring us original and daring music, but it has certainly diminished.

And I remain with my judgment, The Oscars were never perfect, but now they are becoming ridiculous. Back then at least some kind of quality was awarded, lately it doesn't matter what you write anymore, just where it's put.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. NP: "The Wedding" - You Only Live Twice - John Barry

Coming to the end of my 106 track "favourites" playlist of John Barry tracks and listening to this one now it's so sad sounding. Weird for a track about a wedding! But is this a glimpse of the craft of a film composer forewarning us of what is to come? It can't end prettily.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    christopher wrote
    Tonight I've listened to Poledouris's Les Miserables for the first time, really. I had heard it once before, but it was on the horribly produced original album. Today I finished my edit of the score. I went through and trimmed those four long tracks into 22 shorter ones and, for me, it improved the listening experience immeasurably.

22 tracks? Based on the sub track listing on the album I get 16 tracks.

1. Theme from Les Miserables (2:41)
    2. The Bishop / Javert (2:12)
    3. The Quarry (1:17)
    4. Javert Suspects (2:26)
    5. Caring For Fantine / Valjean's Confession (4:18)
    6. The Death of Fantine (2:33)
    7. Flight from Vigau (9:45)
    8. Valjean and Cosette (3:01)
    9. The Wall (1:56)
    10. Outside (1:05)
    11. Marius and Cosette (5:16)
    12. Valjean Remembers (1:30)
    13. Funeral Attack (2:58)
    14. Valjean Saves Marius (2:58)
    15. Farewell (2:08)
    16. Javert's Suicide (3:09)

-Erik-

Thanks for that track list. I realized as I was doing it that my edits didn't match the number of sub tracks listed for each of the suites, but I was just editing it along every definite break in the music. Every time there was a stretch of silence, I split that into its own track and I got:

1 - Valjean's Journey part 1 2:40
    2 - Valjean's Journey part 2 2:13
    3 - Valjean's Journey part 3 1:17
    4 - Vigau part 1 2:26
    5 - Vigau part 2 2:08
    6 - Vigau part 3 2:13
    7 - Vigau part 4 2:34
    8 - Vigau part 5 3:06
    9 - Vigau part 6 4:29
    10 - Vigau part 7 2:10
    11 - Paris part 1 3:00
    12 - Paris part 2 1:56
    13 - Paris part 3 1:06
    14 - Paris part 4 3:09
    15 - Paris part 5 2:06
    16 - Paris part 6 1:30
    17 - The Barricades part 1 1:07
    18 - The Barricades part 2 1:52
    19 - The Barricades part 3 2:58
    20 - The Barricades part 4 2:07
    21 - The Barricades part 5 1:49
    22 - The Barricades part 6 1:18

Your list looks nicer smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Dances with Wolves - John Barry

I've sat at work all day playing this in my head. Now I'm playing it for real. A masterpiece. There are more great themes in this one score than most film composers manage in the space of 20-30 years.
  6. Too bad I'm not at home right now. I'd be spinning some wonderful Barry myself.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. John Barry - The Last Valley

One of his very best scores. RIP Mr. Barry.

The movie is also very good even if some editing choices are questionable.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Diamonds Are Forever - John Barry

I humbly suggest that this contains the very best Bond song. I still laugh when I remember seeing an interview with Barry when he said, in his wonderful, deep Yorkshire voice, that Bond producer Harry Saltzman went into a fit of rage at the recording session and shouted "This song is about someone's penis!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Barry - The Last Valley

One of his very best scores. RIP Mr. Barry.

The movie is also very good even if some editing choices are questionable.

One of his very best, for sure.
  8. The King's Speech - Alexandre Desplat

Just saw the film and liked it a lot. I would be ecstatic if this score wins the Oscar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Beyondness of Things - John Barry

Exquisitely beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011 edited
    NP: PLAYING BY HEART - JOHN BARRY

A romantic, jazzy and chilled out album which seamlessly blends some Chet Baker tracks with Barry's exquisite and laid-back contribution.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sadly, I don't have any Barry to play, but the melancholy of this title theme would have to suffice:

NP: THE NINTH GATE (Wojciech Kilar)
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Sadly, I don't have any Barry to play, but the melancholy of this title theme would have to suffice:

There are some possitive stylistic similarities between Barry and Kilar's work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

There are some possitive stylistic similarities between Barry and Kilar's work.

Yes, I agree. Some of the repetitive figures etc. But Kilar has that whole Slavic melancholy and dark romanticism.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Out of Africa - John Barry

Thanks for all the great music, Mr. Barry.
  10. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm - Shirley Walker

It reminds me why I like Elfman's Batman score so much better.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  11. Chicken Run - HGW/JP

First listen. Finally!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011
    christopher wrote
    Chicken Run - HGW/JP

First listen. Finally!

Holy crap! shocked First listen? You're currently the luckiest person on the planet.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Perhaps it's becoming tiring because more and more people are beginning to realize it too. And the reason you mention all these names goes to show that you have to mention European names to state your statement. That goes to show today's music (definitely in America) is now far from what it was back in the earlier years.

Then you missed my point entirely. You seemed to think that the quality of today's film music could be judged by the tiny sample that is Hollywood. My point is that Hollywood doesn't even scratch the surface of today's film music, and that is the point of my list. Hollywood could be in the pits and today's film music would still be thriving.

That said it would be easy to produce an impressive Hollywood list as well though. Hollywood has tons of talents as well, and to pretend that there aren't numerous talents currently working in Hollywood is just reality-denial.

A short list: Alexandre Desplat, Christopher Young, Michael Giacchino, David Arnold, Howard Shore, James Horner, John Ottman, Elliot Goldenthal, Randy Newman, James Newton Howard, Patrick Doyle, Alan Silvestri, Dario Marianelli, Angelo Badalamenti, Rachel Portman, Edward Shearmur, Carter Burwell, Craig Armstrong, John Debney, Mark Isham, Harry Gregson-Williams, David Newman, Thomas Newman, Danny Elfman, Trevor Jones, John Powell, and we'll soon get a couple more John Williams scores. And even the composers that many say they hate, or pretend they hate, i.e. Brian Tyler, Trevor Rabin, Hans Zimmer, Randy Edelman, Marco Beltrami, Graeme Revell, Clint Mansell, Steve Jablonsky, Klaus Badelt, Nick Glennie-Smith produce tons of great music as well. Sometimes I wonder what world other film score fans are living in. Can't be Earth, that's for sure.

I don't get all the wining. We should rename this the Golden Age instead of constantly bitching about how poor of we are. We're living in the best of times. Not only does Hollywood kick ass, but so does the rest the world. And on top of that we're undoubtedly living in the Golden Age of film scores releases.

Peter smile
  12. plindboe wrote
    Sometimes I wonder what world other film score fans are living in. Can't be Earth, that's for sure.

Peter smile

if you've lived in heaven, earth isn't satisfactory anymore wink

The sad fact another legend has left earth, makes it all the more difficult to stay optimistic

I know, each year we'll get numerous examples of how great filmmusic remains to be, but if blockbusters of today (Robin Hood, Clash of the Titans to name but a few) remain to bring out uninspired writing, then I'll constantly return to the fact that we aren't living in the good times anymore
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm at work and brought some cd's...

DANCES WITH WOLVES | john barry

Buffalo Hunt ftw! What a fantastic epic score. I love the atmosphere and themes, especially the hunting theme and the one that enters in Journey to Ford Sedgewick, with that grand brass statement. Pity it's often all too short!!
    Kazoo
  13. I'll join everybody else and listen to one of my favourites from the man who passed away yesterday.

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS - JOHN BARRY

Can you believe there was a time in which soundtracks were released that didn't have one dull track on them? Instead the opposite. TLD is one of those. There's addictive melodies in all of the tracks, and to find a score release today that does that you'd have to look hard, very hard. Anyway this is possibly the best Bond for me, as its sound is always thematic and just plain cool. As a matter of fact it's pretty much timeless.
  14. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Sometimes I wonder what world other film score fans are living in. Can't be Earth, that's for sure.

Peter smile

if you've lived in heaven, earth isn't satisfactory anymore wink

The sad fact another legend has left earth, makes it all the more difficult to stay optimistic

I know, each year we'll get numerous examples of how great filmmusic remains to be, but if blockbusters of today (Robin Hood, Clash of the Titans to name but a few) remain to bring out uninspired writing, then I'll constantly return to the fact that we aren't living in the good times anymore

Call us overly pessimistic bro, but you have to admit that some people just aren't like that. They keep up with the times and embrace the music as it comes, whereas someone like me prefers to hold on to the past. But to each their own. I'll just keep on enjoying the music from the past as much as I can.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like BOTH the past AND the present! I see excellence everywhere, in all periods and all areas of the world. There's obviously crap too, but I've found that having an open mind towards new expressions and a new aesthetic gets you a long way.

I doubt there are few other time periods, however, that can show such extreme versatility as you can today. Whatever musical expression you want, you'll find it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ETERNAL ECHOES - John Barry

A non-soundtrack work, very melancholy, a superb and undervalued album ( compared with The Beyondness of Things ).
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BANDAS SONORAS DE PELICULAS ESPANOLAS (various)

A Spanish film music compilation, designed personally for me by Jim Titus. Music by the likes of Illaramendi, Iglesias, Vives, Bonecci.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BEYONDNESS OF THINGS - John Barry

Brilliant!