• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2011
    Thor wrote
    There's too much counterpoint going on, often too thickly orchestrated and often an over-reliance on screaming brass and percussion.

And too me... there is no problem with that. More COUNTERPOINT the better!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    There's too much counterpoint going on, often too thickly orchestrated and often an over-reliance on screaming brass and percussion.

And too me... there is no problem with that. More COUNTERPOINT the better!

-Erik-

It's an essential tool. It's just that when you have 15 simultaneous lines going on, it tends to sound very "wall-y" (WALL-E?). I think he could have benefitted from being leaner once in a while....and thankfully, he does do that when he's not working in some big blockbuster action film.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Jesper Kyd)

It began quite good, but near the end things turned to more average stuff, leaving me in the end somewhat disappointed. Not a well arranged album, because the best material is all in the begin

Listen to my arranged Assassin's Creed II: a much more captivating listen. I'm sure you'll like it better.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Space Battleship Yamato - Naoki Sato & Yasushi Miyagawa

I remember the original cartoon from my youth... LOVED IT! This along with Voltron were staples of my cartoon viewing in the 80's. I nearly lost it when I heard they were making a live action version of this. The trailer looks AWESOME! The score. Gigantic. Epic. Muscular. Thematic. Exciting. Dramatic. GREAT STUFF! You have to hear the track "Fire Wave Motion Gun." It got my bloody pumping!

Oh yeah... Time of Honour... it's not terrible but it's not great. Lots of annoying repetition and a godawful recording doesn't help matters.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    La Sombra Prohibida - Arnau Battaler

It does sag a little in the middle, but either side of that, this is very fine! "An Erik Woods score" perhaps!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Indeed it is, James! You are correct about the middle portions but the last two cues a phenomenal! I love it!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2011
    Ruby Cairo - John Barry

One of his more underrated scores, I think. Love the song too.
  2. Revenge of the Sith - John Williams

Probably Williams's best Star Wars prequel score.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    According to you. wink IMO, The Phantom Menace is hands down the best and is the only one that comes close to comparison with the original, superior trilogy.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2011 edited
    My first reaction was to say that I like Phantom Menace better, but on second thought, I think I enjoy Episode 2 more.

NP: Christopher Columbus: The Discovery - Cliff Eidelman

First listen.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    According to you. wink IMO, The Phantom Menace is hands down the best and is the only one that comes close to comparison with the original, superior trilogy.

-Erik-

I would lay it out like this:
    -The Phantom Menace: Outside of a total of five great cues, the rest feels a bit mickey-mouse and comedic (obviously in tone with the wretched film). Plus, various cues can recall various other scores that Williams wrote earlier. Duel of the Fates is a wonderful theme and is definitely a highlight of the score.

-Attack of the Clones: Outside of the opening credits, the concert arrangement of the love theme, and the ending cue, there's not as much substance as the other two scores. Quite the love theme is very beautiful, it is repeated quite alot in the score. And the attack moments don't really prompt memorability.

-Revenge of the Sith: There's the best underscore in this one, that is for sure. But it is the most cut-up album of the three too. While this score is not the most thematically cohesive, the dramatic heart is intact and makes itself known. The ending credits could have been handled much better.
  4. Southall wrote
    Ruby Cairo - John Barry

The liner notes were particularly impressive on this release.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Ruby Cairo - John Barry

Agreed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    KevinSmith wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

-The Phantom Menace: Outside of a total of five great cues, the rest feels a bit mickey-mouse and comedic (obviously in tone with the wretched film). Plus, various cues can recall various other scores that Williams wrote earlier. Duel of the Fates is a wonderful theme and is definitely a highlight of the score.

-Attack of the Clones: Outside of the opening credits, the concert arrangement of the love theme, and the ending cue, there's not as much substance as the other two scores. Quite the love theme is very beautiful, it is repeated quite alot in the score. And the attack moments don't really prompt memorability.

-Revenge of the Sith: There's the best underscore in this one, that is for sure. But it is the most cut-up album of the three too. While this score is not the most thematically cohesive, the dramatic heart is intact and makes itself known. The ending credits could have been handled much better.

SPOT ON analysis.
    Worth quoting for its quoteworthiness.
    Nothing to add from my side.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote

Only five great cues... come on, man!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Ruby Cairo - John Barry

Agreed.

Would that be the release of Ruby Cairo that has liner notes that you both agree upon because they are agreeable in a mutually ritualistic way that is agreeably self agreeable in an agreeable way that compliments the agreeable reciprocator or is it the earlier release of Ruby Cairo where neither of you know fuck all?

Just asking, of course biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Martijn wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

SPOT ON analysis.
    Worth quoting for its quoteworthiness.
    Nothing to add from my side.

I am humbled. shame
  6. KevinSmith wrote
    Revenge of the Sith - John Williams

Probably Williams's best Star Wars prequel score.

Yes.

Williams really knows how to lay the tragedy on thick.
  7. Just came across an album tracks by composer Franco Micalizzi (I'd not heard of him either) but I was intrigued by the "The Big Bubbling Band" after his name.

A compilation entitled "Cinema a Mano Armata", it features 13 tracks from 10 (Italian) movies from 1971-1982. I'd never heard of the movies that have titles such as Il Cinico, L'Infame, Il Violento, La Banda del Gobbo, Napoli Violenta and Roma a Mano Armata but listening to CLIPS I was immediately hooked.

Definitely a Big Band sound, anyone who enjoys the 70s sound of composers such as Lalo Schifrin, Dominic Frontiere and David Shire's The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 should have a listen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. John Barry - The Living Daylights

Chronologically, thanks to the liner notes.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Born Free - John Barry

Beautiful and playful !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    John Barry - The Living Daylights

Chronologically, thanks to the liner notes.

Hell yes, that's the only way to listen to such a fantastic Bond score. Easily my favourite, but then I've hardly scratched the surface on Barry's Bond music. Each track has an addictive and superb melody, nowadays that would just be unthinkable.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. Eric wrote

Beautiful and playful !

You know Eric, I've heard this in the documentary Tim(mer) posted and that theme is gorgeous. I must go look for the score soon. BTW check out the documentary in the Barry topic, if you haven't seen it yet, you may want to.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Eric wrote

Beautiful and playful !

You know Eric, I've heard this in the documentary Tim(mer) posted and that theme is gorgeous. I must go look for the score soon. BTW check out the documentary in the Barry topic, if you haven't seen it yet, you may want to.

There's also a two hour radio show I've posted there, it's excellent!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. A question about Living Daylights. Who programmed the synthesizer on that one? I think it was Jason Corsaro, looking at the production credits.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  12. Tomorrow Never Dies - David Arnold

Arnold's best Bond score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    A question about Living Daylights. Who programmed the synthesizer on that one? I think it was Jason Corsaro, looking at the production credits.

I can't remember but you may well be right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Postman - James Newton Howard

One of my favorite Howard scores.

-Erik-
  13. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Postman - James Newton Howard

One of my favorite Howard scores.

-Erik-

Too bad the CD holds those awful songs where there should've been more score. I never listen to them.
  14. JOHN BARRY IN CONCERT - ROYAL ALBERT HALL 1999

Link to the track listing.

An unofficial recording by someone in the audience. Audio quality is questionable at best but at least the music is stunningly performed and ever so beautiful. Has this been released officially?

The James Bond medley is awesome! beer