• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Postman - James Newton Howard

One of my favorite Howard scores.

-Erik-

Great score by JNH. I love the theme, the action music and the slow moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Minus the horrible tunes that unfortunately occupies the latter half of the album this is a great CD! Thank God for iTunes. No need to rip the Costner "songs."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2011 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    JOHN BARRY IN CONCERT - ROYAL ALBERT HALL 1999

Link to the track listing.

An unofficial recording by someone in the audience. Audio quality is questionable at best but at least the music is stunningly performed and ever so beautiful. Has this been released officially?

The James Bond medley is awesome! beer

I was there! cool

No official release though.

Chris Botti is a very talented jazz trumpet player, he plays on the Barry score for Playing By Heart.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. But of course you were there. smile Was that the last concert you saw him conduct and all?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm listening to the last 30-40 minutes of Williams' score to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom starting with "Short Round Escapes." No words can justify the feelings I get when I listen to this.

:whip:

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Star Trek: Insurrection (Complete) - Jerry Goldsmith

I think this is the best score of the Next Generation scores. There are many new appealing themes (the BaKu, the love theme, the short action motif), and the underscore has more substance than either First Contact and Nemesis. `New Sight` is one of Jerry`s best cues of the late 1990s and the action cues are kinda like Rambo (IN SPACCEEEE). I hope the complete is released legally (a question of when, not if).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm listening to the last 30-40 minutes of Williams' score to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom starting with "Short Round Escapes." No words can justify the feelings I get when I listen to this.

:whip:

-Erik-

Some of Williams' most complex writing because of the hectic nation of the action music, if you ask me.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's bloody brilliant. My third favorite film score of all time!

The 3:55 mark of "Short Round Helps." SCOREGASM! Goosebumps, big smile and tears! Love it, love it, love it!!!!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    But of course you were there. smile Was that the last concert you saw him conduct and all?

Yes it was sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Salvador/Platoon - Georges Delerue

This is a wonderful album showcasing these two scores, the edgier Salvador and the more somber Platoon. Salvador does have a good love theme (one of Delerue's specialties). But the suspense material isn't bad, pseudo Goldsmith in a way. Platoon definitely has more emotion and it is a shame that Oliver Stone would reject most of this material in place of 'Adagio for Strings'.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    Salvador/Platoon - Georges Delerue

This is a wonderful album showcasing these two scores, the edgier Salvador and the more somber Platoon. Salvador does have a good love theme (one of Delerue's specialties). But the suspense material isn't bad, pseudo Goldsmith in a way. Platoon definitely has more emotion and it is a shame that Oliver Stone would reject most of this material in place of 'Adagio for Strings'.

Totally agree!
  4. Fantastic Mr. Fox - Alexandre Desplat

Probably the most anti-Desplat score that he's ever written. I think he effectively silenced his critics with this gem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    Salvador/Platoon - Georges Delerue

Delerue's own channellig of Barber is so close (but not yet there) that it drives me nuts. I usually have to skip that track when I play the Delerue set.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Postman - James Newton Howard

One of my favorite Howard scores.

-Erik-

Same here, beautiful and underrated. I skip the songs though.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2011 edited
    THE LEGEND OF ZORRO - JAMES HORNER

Superbly fun!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BEAT GIRL - John Barry

Big ballsy brassy loud score with a dangerous sounding edge, I like it but it's not one I play often.
  5. I notice this has been released as a download. Is it worth getting Tim?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Dry White Season Dave Grusin
    listen to more classical music!
  6. What do you think of it Tom? I didn't enjoy it as much as the clips suggested I would. Still worthwhile though.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I notice this has been released as a download. Is it worth getting Tim?

Give the clips a listen Alan, you can also hear it on youtube. It's very early Barry, some cues show what was to come in his Bond scores.

Also, Alan, take a listen to a post by Artworks in the JOHN BARRY thread, it's not a Barry piece but I was wondering if you're familiar with it at all?
  7. IRON WILL - JOEL MCNEELY

I'm shocked I haven't heard this little gem before. McNeely totally nailed the adventurous sound and I love it. And who has been listening to Indiana Jones a lot while composing this? tongue

Gotta love these compact yet wonderful Varèse releases from the 80s and 90s!
  8. Indeed, that's the great album, the William's Nazi theme rip notwithstanding (isn't that the one?).

NP - Charlotte's Web - Danny Elfman

I like this score. It's not one that gets talked about often, but it has some really nice music on it, imo.
  9. The Black Stallion Returns - Georges Delerue

This score has one of the best main themes that Delerue ever wrote which is lyrical, soaring and adventurous. The secondary themes are very good also. The complete score has a bit of tribal/rough edge underscore which contrasts the lyrical themes. One highlight is the choral added "Race Finale".
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2011
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/02/05/a … songrusin/

This will only be available on my blog as I feel there isn't enough interest.
    listen to more classical music!
  10. Robocop (Intrada) - Basil Poledouris

God Damn that main theme is good!
  11. KevinSmith wrote
    The Black Stallion Returns - Georges Delerue

This score has one of the best main themes that Delerue ever wrote which is lyrical, soaring and adventurous. The secondary themes are very good also. The complete score has a bit of tribal/rough edge underscore which contrasts the lyrical themes. One highlight is the choral added "Race Finale".

This sounds great. I need to look into it.

I most recently played Lemony Snicket: A Series of Unfortunate Events, by Thomas Newman.

It's a pretty eclectic little album, but man I love that penultimate track.
  12. sdtom wrote

For what it is worth Tom I read it and enjoyed it.

You have the same issues I sometimes have - disinterest in anything out of the mainstream. Do you just accept it and not bother or say "to hell with it" and just keep on plugging away trying to interest people with things they may not normally consider.

It's not much extra effort on your part so encourage Bregt to upload your reviews of this kind here. It broadens the exposure of these "lesser" scores and I'm sure Bregt wants the wide range of titles and styles being reviewed here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote

For what it is worth Tom I read it and enjoyed it.

You have the same issues I sometimes have - disinterest in anything out of the mainstream. Do you just accept it and not bother or say "to hell with it" and just keep on plugging away trying to interest people with things they may not normally consider.

It's not much extra effort on your part so encourage Bregt to upload your reviews of this kind here. It broadens the exposure of these "lesser" scores and I'm sure Bregt wants the wide range of titles and styles being reviewed here.

Yup! People actually read the reviews of not-so-familiar-titles, and it indeed exposes people to more music next to the mainstream stuff that other websites more focus on (at least on the English ones). As I've encouraged you to do many times, it is really appreciated, not only on this forum, but also by our visitors. It's wrong to think that it is not worth publishing due to lack of interest, it's the contrary that should happen. Lack of interest should let you expose it to as many people as possible! smile

Our most read reviews from the past month are The Kings Speech, Genghis Khan and the Francis Lai compilation. All written by you, and you can't say the latter two are very well-known.

Tom can upload reviews here himself, so it's of course up to him to choose. I can only encourage, and appreciate the effort each time, since you're one of the main reviewers here.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2011
    NP: Empires Strikes Back (Williams)

I just bought a Home Cinema 5.1 .

fucking amazing!

I have to re-listen all my music!!! Is there some music in 5.1? LORD aside...

PS: the subwoofer is rocking the house.
  13. Sherlock Holmes and Inception for sure, was anything else released quite recently?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website