• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I know this may be a tricky question to answer but could someone put a figure on how much they spent on last year's gathering? Including accommodation, flights, transfers, food, spending money. I'd like a ballpark figure of the total cost.

Thanks.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2011 edited
    Maybe Anthony can be more helpful with your question, but I'll try to make a rough calculation later when I'm home. smile
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Cheers. I'm wanting to look into the chances of getting to this. I'd really like to hear Mikael's music being performed.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2011
    This is what I sent to Thomas when he asked me the same:

Flight: 101EUR
    Bus (Ubeda bus was 15EUR last year)
    Hotel: 35EUR per night (including large breakfast)
    Drink/Food is cheaper than here, and in nice quantities (7 to 10EUR for a meal): about 150EUR
    Festival: 100EUR + 2 concerts for10EUR = 120EUR
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011
    Dear Attendant,

Blake Neely, one of the major orchestrators of the film industry (collaborating with Michael Kamen, James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer), and recently nominated for an Emmy Award in 2010 for his work on The
    Pacific series, will attend the Ubeda Festival.

Musician from an early age, just reaching the film music by his mentor and friend Michael Kamen, who, in the words of Neely, owes everything he is today. He has worked closely with Kamen until his death (orchestrating and conducting scores such as The Iron Giant, Frequency, Band of Brothers or Open Range), and completing the Kamen's incomplete score for The First Daughter (2004).

The friendship between Neely and Kamen is a very good reason for been in the tribute that the Ubeda Festival will pay for the great composer.

Another great friendship for Neely's career will be that made with Hans Zimmer, collaborating with him and his collaboratos from Media Ventures on several projects, where he composed additional music for films like The Island, The Last Samurai and King Arthur, or simply limited to orchestrate, as Spanglish, The Simpsons Movie or K-19 The Widowmaker.

He has also worked with John Powell in Hancock, as a conductor, and with James Newton Howard on several projects, as conductor, like Michael Clayton, and King Kong (where he composed additional music).

As a curiosity, in 2000 he worked with Vangelis on one of his best compositions, Mythodea (music composed for the NASA mission called Mars Odyssey), working in the orchestral transcriptions, and being the orchestra conductor, an experience very rewarding (in the words of the composer).

He has a great solo career as a composer, after performing the score for the comedy The Wedding Date (2005). He worked on sucessful series, as Everwood (2002-2006), being nominated in 2003 for an Emmy for its main theme. This opened the door for composing works of all kinds, as the great success of The Mentalist series (2008-2010), The Pacific series (2010), the Eastwick series (TV series adaptation of the classic film The Witches of Eastwick) or the surreal comedy Eli Stone ( 2008-2009).

He has recently released Life As We Know It (2010), a great comedy about the strange life of a marriage with a child involved.

In few time, we announce more guests to the Festival.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Strangely, I never heard back from the Ubeda press contact (that is listed on their website) regarding press accreditation. slant
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    They are slow. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2011
    Nice to know The Pacific is gonna be performed. Love the Main Theme and the Love Theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2011 edited
    Bear McCreary, the brilliant composer of Battlestar Galactica, The Walking Dead and Human Target, will participate in the VII International Film Music Festival Ciudad de Úbeda. He will perform in a recital, host a
    workshop on the art of film and television scoring, and conduct the Orquesta Filarmónica de Málaga. The Festival will feature world premiere performances of McCreary’s music from The Walking Dead, Human Target,
    Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, The Cape, Caprica, Dark Void and of course, Battlestar Galactica.

McCreary’s formal training took place at the prestigious Thornton School of Music at the University of Southern California. However, his professional training came from film music legend Elmer Bernstein. McCreary was among Bernstein’s final protégés, and learned the tools of the trade during years of working with and orchestrating for the maestro.

At the young age of 24, composer Bear McCreary was launched into pop culture with his groundbreaking score to SyFy’s hit series Battlestar Galactica, for which he composed “the most innovative music on TV today”
    (Variety). His score was dominated by pounding ethnic percussion and world music soloists, combined with a minimalist orchestral approach. It “fits the action so perfectly, it’s almost devastating: a sci-fi score like no other” (NPR). Io9.com declared Bear McCreary one of the Ten Best Science Fiction Composers of all time, listing him alongside legends John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith and Bernard Herrmann.

McCreary’s feature film credits include Disney’s Step Up 3D, and he is currently working on a new horror / adventure / musical called Knights of Badassdom. His videogame credits include CAPCOM’s Dark Void and SONY’s SOCOM 4: U.S. NAVY SEALs. His swashbuckling score for Human Target featured the largest orchestra ever assembled in the history of series television and earned him his first Emmy nomination, as well as awards from the IFMC Awards and the Goldspirits.

In 2010, McCreary began work on the worldwide smash-hit series The Walking Dead, collaborating with acclaimed writer / director Frank Darabont. Based on a famous comic series, the show became a television phenomenon and is currently in production for a second season. McCreary resides in Los Angeles and is currently scoring several features and television series.

punk

I think some members might join us now. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Elin will, for sure. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Bregt wrote
    I think some members might join us now. wink

Thor wrote
    Elin will, for sure. smile

Is it a good thing or a bad thing to be so predictable?

But yeah, I have to admit that ubeda suddenly becomes quite appealing ;-).

I'll definitely join you guys now.

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2011
    Even I'm tempted by that...
  4. Damn, damn, damn!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    punk

Come on Elin and Anthony! Join the club.
    Kazoo
  5. Bregt wrote
    punk

I'm officially on board ;-)

Elin
  6. Skating_Lientje wrote
    Bregt wrote
    punk

Elin

kiss
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Bregt wrote
    punk

Elin

kiss

Gratefully accepted...

Big hug back ;-)

Elin
  8. I'm officially excited now for this trip. I always wanted to meet him in person and I hope that our Maintitles name will at least give us the chance to meet him in person for a short while lick

the other members I'm going to meet then and the composers who's music I'm going to hear make this already one of the events of the year for me
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Have you met Bear before, Elin?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nice! The passenger list is increasing!

So, so far:

Bregt
    Jordi
    Thomas
    Elin
    Alex
    Marcel

Anthony -> come on.... you know you will be there..
    Alan -> join the party!

Good news McCreary is coming. I always loved the music he composed for 'The Sarah Connor Chronicles'. So happy we will hear it live!
  9. If I can secure permanent employment then I would seriously consider. It has been years now since my last film music event.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    If I can secure permanent employment then I would seriously consider.

Fair enough. First things first. Hope you can make it smile
  10. Anthony wrote
    Have you met Bear before, Elin?

Yeah, I did.

Once in Hagen (Gemany) and then at the Tenerife festival last year. We had some quality time with him then, which actually got me a mention in one of his blogs (I was the person who 'forced' them to perform an encore ;-) ).

I also mailed with him a couple of times.

He is such an approachable person. Really a lot of fun to hang around with.

Elin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011 edited
    Concert and session ("charla") agenda:
    21 July
    10'00 / 14'00 - Taller Audiovisual
    10'00 / 11'30 - Charla: Chris Lennertz
    11'30 / 12'30 - Rueda de Prensa Inaugural
    12'30 / 14'00 - Charla: Bruno Coulais
    14'00 - Presentación Novedades: La La Land

17'00 /19'00 - Charla: Compositor por Determinar
    19'00 / 20'30 - Descanso
    20'30 / 21'30 - Recital (Hosp. Santiago)
    21'30 / 22'30 - Descanso
    22'30 / 00'00 - Concierto Bear McCreary (Hosp. Santiago)
    00'00 - Fiesta de Hermandad

22 July
    10'00 / 11'30 - Charla: Blake Neely
    11'30 / 12'00 - Descanso
    12'00 / 14'00 - Charla: Bear McCreary
    14'00 - Presentación Novedades: Movies Score Media

17'00 /19'00 - Charla: Compositor por Determinar
    19'00 / 19'30 - Descanso
    19'30 - Recepción Invitados y Nominados - Jerry Goldsmith Awards
    20'00 / 21'00 - Gala "Jerry Goldsmith Awards"
    21'00 / 22'00 - Descanso
    22'00 / 00'00 - Concierto Sinfónico Gratuito
    00'30 - Fiesta de Hermandad
    02'30 - Reparto de Cañas de Chocolate (Miradores)

23 July
    10'00 / 11'30 - Charla: Compositor por Determinar
    11'30 / 12'00 - Descanso
    12'00 / 14'00 - Charla: Compositor por Determinar
    14'00 - Mesa Redonda Discográficas

17'00 / 18'30 - Charla Homenaje a Michael Kamen
    18'30 / 19'00 - Descanso
    19'00 / 20'00 - Charla: Conan, reconstruyendo un Clásico
    20'00 / 21'00 - Descanso
    21'00 / 21'30 - Recepción Asistentes al Concierto Sinfónico
    21'30 / 00'00 - Concierto sinfónico (Hosp. Santiago)

24 July
    12'00 / 14'00 - Sesión de Firmas
    14'30 / 18'00 - Comida de Fraternidad (Para invitados, congresistas y organización)

18'00 / 20'00 - Descanso
    20'00 / 21'30 - Concierto: The Choir Adventure
    22'00 - 00'00 - Velada de Despedida (Para invitados, congresistas y organización)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011
    So they can create this program, but they can't get back to me re: press accreditation? Not that I can go anyway, but still.....Hmpfh!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nice! There's a brotherhood party everyday. EVERYDAY! beer beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I hope they have these chocolate thingies this year! It's part of the deal. angry
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I won't forget that drink that had six shots of vodka in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregt wrote
    I hope they have these chocolate thingies this year! It's part of the deal. angry

02'30 - Reparto de Cañas de Chocolate (Miradores) --> This is it. We won't fail this year.

Anthony wrote
    I won't forget that drink that had six shots of vodka in.

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    What else could you want more at 2.30am than chocolate?

Oh that's right, sleep.