• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. This is why we don't see aliens:
    http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/ … ?GT1=43001

Those galaxies could have potentially had hundreds of races, but now they'll be lost to time.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2009
    Total comprehension of magnitude fail.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I'd read somewhere that there's actually so much space between stars in colliding galaxies that the chances of two stars colliding is small. The galaxies actually pass through one another, each one being torn apart due to the gravitational forces exerted during the "fly through".

http://rst.gsfc.nasa.gov/Sect20/A4.html
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm not sure whether anyone outside the UK* can view this clip but there's an awesome clip from tomorrow's Nature's Great Events: The Great Feast:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7940396.stm

That was FANTASTIC.
    What a brilliant piece of filming and editing!

Thanks so much for sharing that, Alan.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Isn't that just unbelievable?

Aaah, space and bayond, it hurts the brain. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'd read somewhere that there's actually so much space between stars in colliding galaxies that the chances of two stars colliding is small. The galaxies actually pass through one another, each one being torn apart due to the gravitational forces exerted during the "fly through".

There's a great scifi story about migrating galaxies that touches upon that, with galaxies as giant sentient entities, softly intertwining. I forget the name now... but how marvellous the thought of being able to see all the stars of the galaxy reflected in your true love's eye. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Undersea volcano and video fof eruption:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29769097?GT1=43001
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    Undersea volcano and video fof eruption:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29769097?GT1=43001

Saw the film on the evening news earlier cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2009
    • CommentAuthorTimmer

Fascinating, I've managed to go through life without knowing anything about this phenomenon....I want to see one.

Either that or become a SUNDOG MILLIONAIRE bhangra
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's shockingly brilliant isn't it?

And birds in formation always awed me too:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fa9_1237410154
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's shockingly brilliant isn't it?

And birds in formation always awed me too:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fa9_1237410154

And that I have seen in real life cool
  4. Looks like a Dementor to me!

It's quite a spectacular sight - and quite hypnotic.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2009
    Solving the mystery of the vanishing bee population...
    Great read- http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=sav … print=true
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2009 edited
    Ha! DING! WRONG!

dizzy
    biggrin

Seriously though, quite an interesting article there BhelPuri.
    It really is a cause for some concern that is being snowed under by more immediate human needs and crises.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm concerned by a big noise that's outside my window which is either a Formula 1 racing car or a rather large Bee.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Might I suggest moving your planet to the Medusan Cascades? Just to be sure?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2009
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Learn chemistry with the dancing chemicals

biggrin punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor

He, he...great one.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2009 edited
    From the Creation Science Fair 2001

1st Place: "My Uncle Is A Man Named Steve (Not A Monkey)"

... (grade 5) presented her uncle, Steve. She also showed photographs of monkeys and invited fairgoers to note the differences between her uncle and the monkeys. She tried to feed her uncle bananas, but he declined to eat them. Cassidy has conclusively shown that her uncle is no monkey.

1st Place: "Life Doesn't Come From Non-Life"

... (grade 8) did an experiment to see if life can evolve from non-life. Patricia placed all the non-living ingredients of life - carbon (a charcoal briquet), purified water, and assorted minerals (a multi-vitamin) - into a sealed glass jar. The jar was left undisturbed, being exposed only to sunlight, for three weeks. (Patricia also prayed to God not to do anything miraculous during the course of the experiment, so as not to disqualify the findings.) No life evolved. This shows that life cannot come from non-life through natural processes.

2nd Place: "Women Were Designed For Homemaking"

... (grade 7) applied findings from many fields of science to support his conclusion that God designed women for homemaking: physics shows that women have a lower center of gravity than men, making them more suited to carrying groceries and laundry baskets; biology shows that women were designed to carry un-born babies in their wombs and to feed born babies milk, making them the natural choice for child rearing; social sciences show that the wages for women workers are lower than for normal workers, meaning that they are unable to work as well and thus earn equal pay; and exegetics shows that God created Eve as a companion for Adam, not as a co-worker.

crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2009
    Dear fucking ... Creationists. (sorry William)

"Women Were Designed For Homemaking"
    That is just groce and ridiculous. What a stupid experiments and complete brainwashing of a child.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It all comes from a serious lack of understanding of REAL science and blind-sighted wishful thinking thanks to that unmovable and usually deadly force called faith.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nothing i've seen so far tops the ridiculous crap that calls itself Scientology.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Absolutely pathetic. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2009 edited
    Scientology is a goldmine of material for comedians! cheesy

I love this bit from that "science" fair:

1st Place: "Life Doesn't Come From Non-Life"
    (Patricia also prayed to God not to do anything miraculous during the course of the experiment, so as not to disqualify the findings.) No life evolved. This shows that life cannot come from non-life through natural processes.

Akin to saying: "Not that I need to obviously, but as a side project I proved God's existence by asking him not to do anything. He did nothing, therefore God exists! I. Am. A. GENIUS!"

And the only thing that experiment proves is life does not form from carbon, water, and minerals when left in a sealed glass jar for three weeks under sunlight. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    LSH wrote
    Absolutely pathetic. slant

I´d say more: absolutely pathetic! Things like this force me to look at the calendar just to make sure what century are we living in.

PS Oh yes, we are living in the 21st century.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    New animation on the new plane by Boeing, B787. Breathtaking stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009
    I think this is truly astounding.

(Personally I think it's God reaching for a cosmic beer. Space is cold, so it's a great place for him to keep them.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009
    From the look of things he's keeping them in his own personal rift in time and space.
    But then where else would God keep his Light?

(Yes, God's beer is called Light. He tried to call it somehing else, but every word He came up with became Light. So in the end He just left it like that.)