• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2011 edited
    Hi,

I know it´s very soon, but someone knows the name of some composer that will be in Film Music Festival of Ghent this year?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2011
    No, no news yet.

I will post here as soon as I know, and looking at previous years, that will be around May/June. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011 edited
    The first concert has been announced:
    Film Music Masterpieces: Maestros of Suspense
    Wednesday 12 October at the Bijloke

Concert with music from Herrmann and Waxman, conducted by Dirk Brossé and performed by the National Orchestra of Belgium. Performances included: Psycho, Vertigo and Taxi Driver en Waxman’s music for Rebecca, Rear Window and Sunset Boulevard.
    Kazoo
  1. sounds intriguing, I'm already going to plan my vacation around this period wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2011
    So... I'm going to this (I already have tickets even), looks very promising! You guys & girls too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011 edited
    Holy shit!

World Soundtrack Awards 2011
    Saturday 22 October at Kuipke

Guests
    Hans Zimmer
    Elliot Goldenthal
    Howard Shore
    Abel Korzeniowski

More info
    http://filmfestival.be/about2.cgi?go=de … mp;lang=en

shocked shocked shocked
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011
    I want to seriously look into coming now, if my health improves a bit. Whether my magazine helps with the costs or not.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    And now, perhaps I could ask you guys beforehand about cheap hotels (but not youth hostels etc.) in Ghent? The one I was in last time (by the train station), was OK...but a bit far from the city centre and not extremely cheap.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ha! I don't know much about hotels in Ghent (not a cheap city), perhaps Bob knows this better. I think Ibis is a an okay option (35EUR a night?). Perhaps you can try booking.com or so, and book ahead.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Ha! I don't know much about hotels in Ghent (not a cheap city), perhaps Bob knows this better. I think Ibis is a cheap option (35EUR a night?). Perhaps you can try booking.com or so, and book ahead.

Ibis is 237 Euro for the whole period (friday to monday). Quite normal price, I would say (not cheap, not expensive). But you're right. Ghent is not a cheap city by European standards.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Bregt wrote
    Guests
    Hans Zimmer
    Elliot Goldenthal
    Howard Shore
    Abel Korzeniowski

Did they, like, run out of composers?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It's a concert dedicated to Ronni Chasen
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregt wrote
    Holy shit!

World Soundtrack Awards 2011
    Saturday 22 October at Kuipke

Guests
    Hans Zimmer
    Elliot Goldenthal
    Howard Shore
    Abel Korzeniowski

More info

shocked shocked shocked

I am definitely going to Ghent this year.

Bregt, do we have to buy the tickets in advance, or can we wait a few weeks / months? Also, how many days is the event?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Very cool! cheesy

You can wait a few weeks and/or months, but the best seats will be gone. I also don't know due to the big names this year, how fast this is gonna go.

The concerts are part of the film festival itself, which lasts 11 days (11-22 October). So far only 2 concerts have been announced, one at the beginning (Masters of Suspense) and one at the end (WSA) which is unlike previous editions. Normally they put all these concerts in the last 4 or 5 days, unfortunately not this year. Perhaps more will be announced later, but I'm not sure.

It's not a film music festival like Ubeda or Tenerife, since the concerts are part the film festival, but there's a lot of focus on film music. There's also always one master class with one of the guest composers a (few) day(s) before WSA and a couple of film music documentaries.
    Kazoo
  2. just so you know, I could go already tomorrow for tickets. So those who know they'll definitely be going, I can go for tickets tomorrow at FNAC.

Tickets for the World Soundtrack Awards cost €27, €37 or €47

I go for the 47 euros

Bregt for you as well? Marcel, you want the 47 euro one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I think Marcel will decide later. wink

Lets not be too fast!
    Kazoo
  3. Bregt wrote
    I think Marcel will decide later. wink

Lets not be too fast!

you said it, who knows the best seats will be out the door within 2 weeks.

I have no problem to buy a ticket for Marcel, but I don't want to wait that long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I need a week or so to check out hotels and stuff. Airplane is relatively cheap (with Ryan Air). I guess I can't wait for my health to improve if I want to have good seats/good accomodation.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    The concerts are part of the film festival itself, which lasts 11 days (11-22 October). So far only 2 concerts have been announced, one at the beginning (Masters of Suspense) and one at the end (WSA) which is unlike previous editions. Normally they put all these concerts in the last 4 or 5 days, unfortunately not this year. Perhaps more will be announced later, but I'm not sure.

You're right - I hadn't noticed that yet. Not too bad though, that it's spread a bit, but for the international filmmusic fans, it might be a bit of a bother I can imagine.
    Will there be a third, smaller, concert again, you think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I hope! Something in the lines of Mansell's concert would be cool.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    So, which days will be the MUST GO then? The last two, that include the WSA concert?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Friday (21st) and Saturday (22nd) are gonna be fun. Last year, with Bob, Thomas, Elin, Thor and others, we had two great nights. Previous editions had a concert on Thursday too, so perhaps this year as well, I have no idea. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ok, it seems 21st and 22nd are the ones, with the possibility of the 20th. Nice! Which is the closest airport to Ghent?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Friday (21st) and Saturday (22nd) are gonna be fun. Last year, with Bob, Thomas, Elin, Thor and others, we had two great nights. Previous editions had a concert on Thursday too, so perhaps this year as well, I have no idea. smile

If I'm coming this year, I probably won't be able to drink, though (due to the liver thing). Which sucks big time, but I'll manage. Most important thing now is to get the finances in order. It would be from Friday to Monday.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thor wrote
    Bregt wrote

If I'm coming this year, I probably won't be able to drink

Unacceptable! crazy

Just kidding, health comes first! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011
    Bregt wrote
    I hope! Something in the lines of Mansell's concert would be cool.

I have my reservations on whether his musical material can be successfully transferred to the orchestral spectra. Look what happened with the (horrible imo) Silva Zimmer re-takes, vol1 and 2, for instance.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Marselus wrote
    Ok, it seems 21st and 22nd are the ones, with the possibility of the 20th. Nice! Which is the closest airport to Ghent?

Brussels National Airport (BRU) is the most central (45 minutes by train to Ghent). Then there are some Ryanair destinations (Charleroi/Brussels South and Ostend). I have no experience on how easy it is to navigate from Charleroi or Ostend to Ghent. Thor, can you help with the latter?

I think Vueling flys from Barcelona to BRU quite often for reasonable prices, and also Iberia, when booking ahead does a fair job.

If you all are planning to come to Ghent, I will take a day off on Friday and Monday. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011 edited
    Just got posted on Facebook:

Here's the latest, Goldenthal fans! A double album of BATMAN FOREVER will be released this October by LA LA LAND RECORDS. Also in October, at this years "World Soundtrack Awards" in Ghent, dedicated to fallen colleague Ronni Chasen, Goldenthal is planning a live performance of his music from ALIEN 3, TITUS and possibly PUBLIC ENEMIES.

TITUS last year live was cool, but ALIEN 3 live will be awesome! punk
    Now, if only he could add FINAL FANTASY...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Marselus wrote

Brussels National Airport (BRU) is the most central (45 minutes by train to Ghent). Then there are some Ryanair destinations (Charleroi/Brussels South and Ostend). I have no experience on how easy it is to navigate from Charleroi or Ostend to Ghent. Thor, can you help with the latter?

I think Vueling flys from Barcelona to BRU quite often for reasonable prices, and also Iberia, when booking ahead does a fair job.

If you all are planning to come to Ghent, I will take a day off on Friday and Monday. smile

Getting to Ghent from Charleroi is fairly easy (first the airplane bus to Brussels [be sure to be quickly out of the airport because lines for the bus quickly develop, and if you're too late, you'll have to wait a long time for the next!), then the train to Ghent). But getting back was a bit more cumbersome, as I got totally lost in the Brussels central station and couldn't find the airport bus from there. Very little help to find and confusing signs all over the place.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    Just got posted on Facebook:

Here's the latest, Goldenthal fans! A double album of BATMAN FOREVER will be released this October by LA LA LAND RECORDS. Also in October, at this years "World Soundtrack Awards" in Ghent, dedicated to fallen colleague Ronni Chasen, Goldenthal is planning a live performance of his music from ALIEN 3, TITUS and possibly PUBLIC ENEMIES.

TITUS last year live was cool, but ALIEN 3 live will be awesome! punk
    Now, if only he could add FINAL FANTASY...

Oh man....ALIEN 3!!! I HAVE TO make this happen!
    I am extremely serious.