• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2011
    Le cou de la girafe (Pascal Gaigne)

Enjoying this score and wondering why I never see it mentioned. The main theme is one of my favourite themes of 2004.

Peter love
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2011 edited
    Attack of the Clone is pretty awful! However, there are some highlights. The Love Theme is good albeit highly unoriginal. "The Chase Through Coruscant" is right up there with some of the best action cues in the original trilogy and "Love Pledge and the Arena" showcases Williams capabilities of creating that kind of old school thematically focused action material that we love him for... even though a good portion of the cue was cut from the film. The finale is also very good and is probably the best segue from finale to end credits in the Star Wars saga.

But stuff like "Jango's Escape" and "Bounty Hunter's Pursuit" is some of the worst action noodling of Williams' career. And the use of "Duel of the Fates" and the "Trade Federation March" is completely out of place in the film. The middle portions of the album drag like nothing I have ever heard in a Williams score before. Too bad Williams didn't get an opportunity to score the big clone war battle... those cues could have evened out the score a bit!

I rarely listen to this.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    NP: Django!

Peter cool

Excellent!
    :coffin:
    :machinegun:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    The Love Theme is good albeit highly unoriginal.

uhm
    angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Little Children - Thomas Newman

I've always liked this (to begin with it seemed like I was the only one who did). Everything I love about Newman is here - wit, style, great tunes and that magnificent theme over the end titles.
  1. plindboe wrote

Enjoying this score and wondering why I never see it mentioned. The main theme is one of my favourite themes of 2004.

Peter love

Now this is much better! beer
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mission: Impossible - Danny Elfman

Love this. One of my favourites of his.
  2. Hans Zimmer - Spanglish

Brilliant score. Hans's best comedy work. Beautiful theme, great orchestrations, especially for his standards.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Southall wrote

I've always liked this (to begin with it seemed like I was the only one who did). Everything I love about Newman is here - wit, style, great tunes and that magnificent theme over the end titles.

I like it, although it seems to me like a 25 minute length album would be about right. It goes on just a few cues too many.

Southall wrote

Indeed. It's THE 90s Elfman score, as far as I'm concerned, next to SOMMERSBY probably.

PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Spanglish

Brilliant score. Hans's best comedy work. Beautiful theme, great orchestrations, especially for his standards.

I concur!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Southall wrote

Did you know one of the cues on the song CD, is extended and a tiny bit different? I can load that if anybody wants it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Recently Played: La Fille du Puisatier - Alexandre Desplat

Lovely little score. Could have used less of "Core ’ngrato" though. For a 41 minute album there's 4 tracks dedicated to this song. It gets annoying FAST! As for the rest of Desplat's score - all 24 minutes of it - it's goes by a little too quickly. As someone pointed out... I think in a review of the score somewhere... the first three tracks is really all you need. But overall, this is one of those rare Desplat score that I actually like. It's not going to appear on my Top 10 list but I will be more than happy to return to the album - minus "Core ’ngrato" - in the near future.

Please Alexandre, I beg you, score less Hollywood and more French independents.

-Erik-

I said earlier that Desplat's non-American scores are better than his American ones. I wonder why...
  6. Southall wrote

It is good, but Revolutionary Road is much better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011
    Martijn wrote
    Excellent!
    :coffin:
    :machinegun:

Oh yes! We need more smilies. This one comes closest:

kill shockedshockedshockedshockedshocked

FalkirkBairn wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter love

Now this is much better! beer

Glad you like it! A theme I can listen to again and again.

Peter punk
  7. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Recently Played: La Fille du Puisatier - Alexandre Desplat

Lovely little score. Could have used less of "Core ’ngrato" though. For a 41 minute album there's 4 tracks dedicated to this song. It gets annoying FAST! As for the rest of Desplat's score - all 24 minutes of it - it's goes by a little too quickly. As someone pointed out... I think in a review of the score somewhere... the first three tracks is really all you need. But overall, this is one of those rare Desplat score that I actually like. It's not going to appear on my Top 10 list but I will be more than happy to return to the album - minus "Core ’ngrato" - in the near future.

Please Alexandre, I beg you, score less Hollywood and more French independents.

-Erik-

I said earlier that Desplat's non-American scores are better than his American ones. I wonder why...

I like that score a lot.

(Kevin -- I think in that list, you included LUST CAUTION as a non-American score. To be fair, that should be counted among the Americans. A major Focus Features Oscar tilt, American producer, financed by hedge fund money... Just because it was shot in China by a Taiwanese director doesn't mean it isn't American.)

But besides that, yes, there is something to be said for the French titles in Desplat's resume better suiting his temperament: Read my lips, The Beat my heart skipped, A Prophet, The Well-Digger's Daughter, Un Corps Impatients, Les Inquietudes, L'Ennemi Intime, Largo Winch, Coco Avant Chanel, just to name a few.

But the American/Western films can't be laughed at either: Birth, Girl with a Pearl Earring, Painted Veil, King's Speech, Hostage (french director), Upside of Anger, Syriana, Cheri, Lust Caution, A Better Life, Tree of Life...

I think it's actually big blockbusters where he's a more awkward fit. He can't seem to position his music around the story in a way that comes off as strongly as in more character-driven films. (Much as I like the music of New Moon, Golden Compass and Harry Potter, it's never as strong as his other stuff. Compass is magnificent music, but not a great score really). And anonymous thrillers are not a forte (Firewall).

I wonder where GHOST WRITER falls, in terms of ownership. Obviously the work was all done in Europe, and I gather the money behind the film probably was too.
  8. Being honest, it's sounds the same Desplat for me, whetever it's HP, The Golden Compass, Syriana, Twilight, Coco Avant Chanel or Le Fille Du Puisatier, his style is recognizable. His melodies are still the same, he always said that he takes a job seriously for American and French films, trying to be better. And still he hasn't betrayed his style to imitate the MV style like other veteran composers.
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    Attack of the Clone is pretty awful! However, there are some highlights. The Love Theme is good albeit highly unoriginal.

A bit harsh?
    I could do with more highly unoriginal film music of that sort these days.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Attack of the Clone is pretty awful! However, there are some highlights. The Love Theme is good albeit highly unoriginal.

A bit harsh?

I agree that it's not that great but by gods it has some highlights and it says something when someone ( I include myself along with michael ) says they could do with more of that kind of "unoriginal" film music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

A bit harsh?

Not harsh at all especially compared to the rest of the Star Wars scores. As a whole, Attack of the Clones is not good! As for the love theme... again, compare it to the rest of the softer more lovely themes Williams wrote for the series. But then again, Luke and Leia's theme is heavily influenced (and that's being nice) by Lewis' "Aurella's Theme" from The Madwoman Of Challiot.

And if you are looking for more highly unoriginal film music then give Captain America a spin. wink I could do with LESS of that stuff!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. I prefer the Han/Leia theme to ATS, I'll give you that, but neither the Luke&Leia or the Leia theme quite appeal to me as much as Across the Stars. I wish I could say it was because ATS is such an elegant inversion of the Star Wars main theme, but it's more heartstring stuff.

Erik Woods wrote
    And if you are looking for more highly unoriginal film music then give Captain America a spin. wink I could do with LESS of that stuff!

I certainly didn't hear any Nino Rota infused love theme by way of Hook there. It is this unoriginality that I sought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    I prefer the Han/Leia theme to ATS, I'll give you that, but neither the Luke&Leia or the Leia theme quite appeal to me as much as Across the Stars.

Oh my. Leia's Theme is absolutely gorgeous especially Gerhardt's rendition.

franz_conrad wrote
    I certainly didn't hear any Nino Rota infused love theme by way of Hook there.

And that's what bothers me about Williams' theme. That Rota/Romeo and Juliet influence is so painfully obvious! But then again, that's what Lucas was going for... soooooooooo whatever!

Anyway, I don't hate the theme but I don't love it. The middle section REALLY turns me off and Kunzel wisely got rid of it when recording his shorter arrangement of the theme.

-Erik-
  11. I think the middle section might have been written as part of the first version of the scene when the storm troopers line up in front of Palpatine. (bit of a Nixon reference). The Imperial March was a rescore. (Not complaining, just commenting.)

Honestly though... we could do with more people trying to tap into Nino Rota these days. God knows the rest of the unoriginality isn't half as appealing. wink (Although, to be honest, it doesn't really do more than sit in the same general musical zone as Romeo and Juliet. If this one goes to the wall, we need to line up Jane Eyre and 'Window to the Past' for public hangings too.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    (Although, to be honest, it doesn't really do more than sit in the same general musical zone as Romeo and Juliet. If this one goes to the wall, we need to line up Jane Eyre and 'Window to the Past' for public hangings too.)

Indeed. For the life of me I can't hear any direct influence.
    A stylistic similarity in melodramatic tension, maybe, which annoys me to the level of Not At All.
  12. Martijn wrote
    A stylistic similarity in melodramatic tension, maybe, which annoys me to the level of Not At All.

Indeed. If this be unoriginal, then I could do without a lot of originality. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Apparently today - 8th September - is the 45th anniversary since the official debut of Star Trek on US television (with the episode "The Man Trap"). Accordingly, I have been listening to a selection of music from both the show and the numerous films. Here's a Ten Tracks Today sample over at Reel Music:

http://reelmusic.wordpress.com/2011/09/ … mber-2011/
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HANNA (The Chemical Brothers)

A little break from the Williams. Funky stuff....need to psych up a bit for the radio interview in a few minutes!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorjohnbijl
    Tja is for all tips, guys, but it has become Masters of the Universe (La-La). Although it's an odd contrast with the drizzeling Dutch landscape. Groningen ain't Eternia! :D

EDIT: if I was traveling through North-Holland I would have made a cheese reference, but alas...
    Nothing is as loud as silence - Miklós Rózsa
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR WARS III: REVENGE OF THE SITH (John Williams)

People rave on about this film and score, but I'm actually not sure I agree. Just because it's darker doesn't necessarily mean it's better. Personally, I don't think "Battle of the Heroes" as a showpiece comes up to "Duel of the Fates" or "Across the Stars" -- although it's good. The action music seems a bit "more of the same". The source music for the show Palpatine is watching is quite intriguing, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorjohnbijl
    I agree Thor. Although I must say that I found Williams one of the few composers where a (fairly) complete and chronological presentation does the score justice. I would like to hear what Revenge of the Sith would be in such a presentation. The album as released jumped to much from one place to another for a coherent and solid listening -- not unlike the original 2LP of episode IV.

And no, i' m not trying to pick a fight :D
    Nothing is as loud as silence - Miklós Rózsa
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Battle of the Heroes is only a small part of a larger set piece. All the music written for the lightsabre battle, minus the awful tracking of "Duel of the Fates" and "The Duel," is to me, the complete Battle of the Heroes.

I really like the Grievous' action material but like you said the rest seems more of the same type of noodling from the more modern Williams. However, the opening set piece, IN ITS COMPLETE FORM, is quite spectacular.

The dramatic music is really good as well. "Anakin's Dark Deeds" and "Anakin's Betrayal" are highlights.

This score unfortunately contains the WORST end credit piece in the saga and one of the worst of Williams career! Horrible waste of CD space! Could have used a concert version of the Grievous Theme!

Anyway, this is much better than AOTC but not as good as TPM and no where near as good as the original trilogy.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR WARS IV: A NEW HOPE (John Williams)

Another obscurity from Williams' catalogue!
    I am extremely serious.