• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Trevor Jones

There's 20 minutes of great large scale action music on the CD (mirroring Dark City). It's a shame about the rest of the score is somewhat formless and generic.

Agree. The main theme (Dawn of a new Century) is awesome, Capturing Mr. Hyde is exhilarating, and Nautilus, Sword of the Ocean is magnificent, but the score fails to impress me as a whole, and as such, I keep visiting just select tracks whenever I listen to it.

If you want more of the Dark City darkness in a more cohesive whole, I'd recommend Desperate Measures. And, of course, From Hell.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2011
    I pretty much agree. Love that main title.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011
    Scribe wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Christian wrote
    I could post on here a hundred times a day though. I have film music playing in my writing studio sometimes 16-18 hours a day and I seldom listen to a score all the way through.

Any of you have well over two thousand scores in your library? I used to buy buy buy and now I say every morning, what in the world am I a going to listen to to start off my day? That first selection is key. wink

We are the same. beer I have about 2100 albums, I listen all day (except when I'm out or sleepiing) and I rarely play full scores, but play playlists or my entire collection on random. Life is good.

Peter smile

Yeah I only have about 1000 because I am young and have only been collecting diligently for about 6 years, but I listen just as much.

Awesome!

I will add that I don't listen all day or have hundreds of scores to impress anyone. I do it for me and if anyone calls me crazy... so be it. It's a part of who I am now and I can't think of a better way to spend my time. I write for a living and it inspires me greatly.

NP: Alexandre Desplat: The Queen A wonderfully talented composer. Very nice score.
  1. Scribe wrote
    Yeah I only have about 1000 because I am young and have only been collecting diligently for about 6 years, but I listen just as much.

Wow. I've been collecting for 16 years and I haven't cracked 300 yet smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    christopher wrote
    Scribe wrote

It's not about quantity but rather finding enjoyment from the music you have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christian wrote
    christopher wrote
    Scribe wrote

Indeed. I think my collecting has actually slowed down a bit in the last year because I force myself to listen to each new album 5 times, and on the last of those 5 attentively enough to tag my favorite tracks so that in the future I can return to the highlights and even play them as a shortened, highlights-only album (ahem, Thor, this post is not for you wink ). Of course when I say "force myself" I don't really mean it in the normal sense of the term, as its quite enjoyable (usually, the recent "Smurfs" score was so lifeless I literally had to force myself and I'm still not sure why I didn't just delete the thing!).
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You force yourself to listen to Tyler Bates, Wandmacher, Haslinger etc, too?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Generally no. Zimmer guys still get a free pass because they were the ones that got me into film music. But I only have 2 Bates scores, 1 Wandmacher that I can't stand, and no Haslinger.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thank God i deleted all those folders smile No hesitation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christian wrote
    christopher wrote
    Scribe wrote

True. In fact I bet Christopher knows his 300 albums much better than I know any 300 from my collection. There are big benefits to slower collecting.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011 edited
    NP: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 ~ Alexandre Desplat

I don't have to say again how much I love Desplat, how deeply his music affect me. I like listening to this score because I have come to understand that with each listening there is another layer to be discovered, another detail seeking attention.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BOMBAY (A. R. Rahman)

Great score & songs from Rahman's golden period (mid 90's to early 2000's). He was never better than his Mani Ratnam collaborations, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

Great score & songs from Rahman's golden period (mid 90's to early 2000's). He was never better than his Mani Ratnam collaborations, IMO.

How did you manage to fit "Great" and "Rahman" in the same sentence? wink Btw, since you're listening to much outer film music stuff, for your own good, have you heard anything from his collaborative band with Mick Jagger (Superheavy)? Tim?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote

How did you manage to fit "Great" and "Rahman" in the same sentence? wink Btw, since you're listening to much outer film music stuff, for your own good, have you heard anything from his collaborative band with Mick Jagger (Superheavy)? Tim?

No, I haven't gotten around to that yet. I thought his collaboration with Andrew Lloyd Webber (BOMBAY DREAMS?) from a few years back was quite terrible. Haven't heard his Jagger collab (beyond the youtube video) or the one with Michael Jackson.

I know you dislike Rahman, D, but you should really check out some of his earlier, pre-Hollywood stuff. It's quite good. And even you must have liked 127 HOURS?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote

No, I haven't gotten around to that yet. I thought his collaboration with Andrew Lloyd Webber (BOMBAY DREAMS?) from a few years back was quite terrible. Haven't heard his Jagger collab (beyond the youtube video) or the one with Michael Jackson.

I know you dislike Rahman, D, but you should really check out some of his earlier, pre-Hollywood stuff. It's quite good. And even you must have liked 127 HOURS?

127 hours was serviceable, very good at a couple of moments but also quite annoying at others; the source music (Songs) fitted the movie way better, imo. But still, i haven't understood why Rahman is considered such a hot name, yet smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nah! I haven't heard anything off SuperHeavy yet D.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    127 hours was serviceable, very good at a couple of moments but also quite annoying at others; the source music (Songs) fitted the movie way better, imo. But still, i haven't understood why Rahman is considered such a hot name, yet smile

I found the 127 soundtrack, score and songs, to be one of the most grating soundtrack experiences of my life. I'm usually very tolerant of unconventional music, but holy crap I felt like screaming during several moments in that movie due to the annoying music. tt was like the music was specifically designed to destroy the movie experience. I really don't get how it could be nominated for an oscar. It's like some cosmic joke.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote

I had to laugh out loud. That was great
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hmmm....strange how opinions differ. I thought the rain sequence alone was a superb display of music and film. I have other issues with the film, though (mainly the charisma-less portrayal by James whathisface).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    Thor wrote
    Hmmm....strange how opinions differ. I thought the rain sequence alone was a superb display of music and film. I have other issues with the film, though (mainly the charisma-less portrayal by James whathisface).

I was literally angry watching the film toward the end (amazing story but not a full movie! C'mon!). I had to finish it though but it was torture. All around it was a disaster. To compare Cast Away with this film is night and day in every aspect. Similar style and content and brilliantly done (Cast Away) but I don't have anything worth while to say about this film or score. I can always find good in everything I watch or hear so I imagine I could say something but... I'm not going to. biggrin
  2. THE MUSIC OF JAMES HORNER

Performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra.

It's this album.

The second disc, and sure it's filled with more excitement than the emotional first disc. There's something to his early exciting scores that will never make me bump him from the top spot, not ever. It's his early work that got me into film music after all. So It's all good here, ranging from superb to very good performances (The Man Without a Face, Glory which is seriously powerful, the always sweet and wonderful The Land Before Time and Cocoon, and the ballsy nature of the two Star Trek cues.

The Rocketeer sounds decent enough, but opens too slow and speeds up after and should've been more like the original recording. Aliens still has the awful opening in the prelude, but the rest of the cue is top notch action music (Ripley's Rescue).

I think this is a brilliant compilation from the guys of Silva Screen and if you have a love for old Jimbo, it should definitely be checked out, as there's more than enough great music here to satisfy the ears and mind. As well as some solid performances, sometimes different but very good all the same.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. THE LAST AIRBENDER - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

A score that works because of its moments of great JNH composition, mainly the beginning and end. I've got a problem to keep interested in the album's middle part though. Overall it's an enjoyable score, but I'd say it's not as rewarding as some of his early, more melodic work in film.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Trevor Jones

There's 20 minutes of great large scale action music on the CD (mirroring Dark City). It's a shame about the rest of the score is somewhat formless and generic.

Yup Yup! The action scoring here is SUPERB!!!
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    THE LAST AIRBENDER - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

A score that works because of its moments of great JNH composition, mainly the beginning and end. I've got a problem to keep interested in the album's middle part though. Overall it's an enjoyable score, but I'd say it's not as rewarding as some of his early, more melodic work in film.

i'm with you on this one, but it's a masterpiece if you compare it with Green Lantern
    What a disappointing year it's been for JNH
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

i'm with you on this one, but it's a masterpiece if you compare it with Green Lantern

Yeah, ten years or more ago he would have given knock out scores for these films. He seems to have lost inspiration somewhere.
  5. I blame it on the dude he collaborated with on that superhero flick. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Yeah, ten years or more ago he would have given knock out scores for these films. He seems to have lost inspiration somewhere.

The last year specifically was horrible.

DreamTheater wrote
    I blame it on the dude he collaborated with on that superhero flick. tongue

That, or bored, many many years in the business, lost the flame. Who knows?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Zimmer is still trying to create new things with each score he works on, you can say his ideas are bad if you feel so, but you can't say he's not trying...whereas Howard seems to be content to just collect a paycheck ever since Water Horse and I Am Legend, those are the last two scores where he actually did anything worthy of his reputation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Indeed! Personally, the last great grand symphonic cue Howard has written was for The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep. The combined cues of "There's No Monster / Saving Crusoe / The Net / The Jump / End of the Story" is magical!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. I'd like to know whether composers really struggle with this feeling? If they somehow feel they've lost inspiration, and are desperate to find their drive again.

But I'm sure he'll churn out something worthy again, it all depends on what project he's getting and if he's feeling inspired to score the hell out of that project.

And the film industry isn't what it used to be, where producers and studio execs make the films nowadays, not the director or composer.