• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Where is Timmer, when you need him?

This of course is music from Carl Sagan's COSMOS.

If you had waited I could have illuminated Thor myself. I'm very surprised Thor didn't know this.

I've seen the new show, but never the original with Sagan himself.

I just ordered the new show on BR. I also considered the original show, but given that it is outdated scientifically in some points, I didn't. The great things that Sagan had to say back then, I can read in his book.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. My collection of about 250 pop songs of the 80s at random. Essentially the content of my mix tapes back then.
  3. beer

Something tells me that wasn't planned. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Seeing my love for the period, I felt like playing something with its feet set firmly in the Eighties, but actually a album from 2011.

DURAN DURAN - All You Need Is Now

This is excellent !!! love
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. NP: Fehler im System / Error in the System (1982) - Peter Schilling

LP classic of the German New Wave. Played it to death back then. smile

Volker
  6. WOJCIECH KILAR : KRZESANY - ANGELUS - EXODUS - VICTORIA

From the album Choral and Orchestral Works released by NAXOS.

'Angelus' and 'Exodus' clock in at 47 minutes combined and are two of the most amazing compositions I have ever heard. I can't even imagine how my life would be had I not known of their existence. 'Angelus' is the most emotional and features an opera-style female vocal and choir, but with a very hypnotic melody backing it up, as only Kilar could do so well. 'Exodus' is a bolero-like onslaught of orchestral power, building in intensity until its magnificent climax. It's truly mind-blowing how these two lengthy pieces never lose momentum or my attention.

The only smilie that exists to explain the power of this music is the one with the headbanging dude, but in such a gigantic size that it would crash this forum in an instant, and possibly cause the server to explode. So I won't post that smilie here, but you get the idea. smile

I thank the T-man for bringing this fantastic CD to my attention. wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2016 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    WOJCIECH KILAR : KRZESANY - ANGELUS - EXODUS - VICTORIA

I thank the T-man for bringing this fantastic CD to my attention. wave

Trump? Surely not!??? shocked wink

Great album. The 2nd Naxos Kilar album is of great value too.

For me it is just a shame that it took a Hollywood film ( Coppola's Dracula ) to bring him to my attention. What a great composer.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. 2nd Naxos Kilar album? Enlighten me ! cheesy

Also, I gifted the CD to my dad, who's a huge classical nut, and he's very impressed with it. He normally doesn't think too highly of film composers, apart from maestro Williams. But this one was right up his alley.
  8. Before becoming a film composer, Kilar was actually quite an acclaimed concert composer as well.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2016
    This one Gilles...

http://cdn.naxos.com/SharedFiles/images … 557813.gif

Well worth having if secondary to the first Naxos release. Should still be easy to get.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2016
    Fantastic CD.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2016
    I can't recommend this CD enough
    Tom
  9. Which one, the one I played or the one Timmer recommended?

Just a question, is it piano only, because I tend to dislike that more often than not. I need an orchestra.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No worries Gilles, big orchestra on both. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Discovered a new British concert overture "Froissart" written in 1890 by Elgar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2016 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Which one, the one I played or the one Timmer recommended?

Just a question, is it piano only, because I tend to dislike that more often than not. I need an orchestra.

I dig solo piano stuff myself, and have actually been on the lookout for great solo piano albums -- whether classical or film -- for some time now (I obviously have some already, the most recent being Patrick Doyle's piano album from last year).
    I am extremely serious.
  10. German Schlager

Greek wine is like the blood of the earth ...
    A bed in the corn field
    Tears don't lie
    A Little bit of Peace

smile Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2016
    NP : OCEAN RAIN - Echo and The Bunnymen

Great album, here's my favourite track, very filmic and superbly orchestrated.

Who said the 80's had crap music? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

Martijn does. The rest of us dig it!

I'm not overly familiar with Echo & The Bunnymen (indiepop isn't my preferred genre), but that's a pretty good track.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

vomit
    Doomy gloomy angsty indie. Urgh!

I DID!

...but fair enough. To measure is to know!
    So, I check my playlists, and as I'm organised (yes, I know there are other probably more apt psychological labels for this as well) enough to actually have created popular music playlists by decade, I can immediately tell you what my favourite and least favourite decades are musically.

1950s - 113 songs
    1960s - 344 songs
    1970s - 167 songs
    1980s - 195 songs
    1990s - 137 songs
    2000s - 141 songs
    2010s - 118 songs

Not surprisingly the sixties jump WAY out.
    Well, it WAS a decade or musical renaissance and renovation, so no shocker to me.

And then it turns out the Eighties are actually my second favourite!!
    I can probably guess why it's still lodged in my mind as a terrible decade for music: it's the size of the gap between good and bad. When eighties music is bad, it is really, REALLY terrible: awful production values with streamlined synth sounds, cold electronic drums and synthetic bass lines. When it's good, I apparently REALLY like it. But as the depths are still SO low, it's still not a "good decade" in my mind (apparently quite unjustifiedly so shame ).

What surprises me massively though is the low amount of songs in my 1950s playlist!
    I absolutely LOVE old-time rock 'n' roll! cry
    (I can only guess it's because at the end of the day a lot (and I mean a LOT) of classic rock 'n'roll really DOES sound the same).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm guessing that if I had an organised playlist the 60's would be way ahead ( I know for a fact it would be ) followed by the 70's.

All decades have had the shit with the good, there's still great stuff produced now but just like film music which it mirrors you just have to sift through the manufactured generic shit to find the gems.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn, is it easy for you to display your lists? I'd love to see it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Very easy...but I fear it would clutter the board, so I need to think about a hyperlink construction.
    I'll get back to you!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    cool
  11. My 80s playlist contains about 260 songs. Counting all 80s songs outside that list should get the number well over 300. 70s ad 60s are evenly represented probably about 150 songs each.

Volker
  12. Back when I grew up I instantly fell in love with music in various forms, but the first form was the pop music of the day, the catchy tunes with flashy videos that dominated MTV. Most of the hits of that decade (and the more obscure one hit wonders) can still entertain me, and I can listen to them regularly. And back then one artist was absolutely everywhere, I'm talking about the King of Pop. His music remains timeless and he is, for me, what made the 80s the defining decade. Of course there's so much more than him, but he was at the top of the world in those days, and no force could dethrone him, but that would ultimately happen in the decade after. Or maybe I'm just glorifying him, because he's done so much that I've loved ever since.

It's funny because back then, when I was just getting to understand how a song was constructed and couldn't barely pronounce english, I took all that music for granted, it was only much later that I really found appreciation for the artistry and genius of his songs and performances.

Since the 80s I've seriously broadened my horizons and to think I've discovered a band as important as Pink Floyd two years ago, astounds me. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2016
    Martijn wrote
    Very easy...but I fear it would clutter the board, so I need to think about a hyperlink construction.
    I'll get back to you!

OK, so in an attempt to go beyond a mre artists/song list, I uploaded my playlists to Spotify (which was an absolute nightmare, but never mind).
    From some preliminary tests I gather some 50% is available in the Spotify databases (hence playable)...for the rest you'd be able to see the name/artist (I guess?) but not actually play the song.

So, here we go:
    - Martijn's 1950s playlist on Spotify
    - Martijn's 1960s playlist on Spotify
    - Martijn's 1970s playlist on Spotify
    - Martijn's 1980s playlist on Spotify
    - Martijn's 1990s playlist on Spotify
    - Martijn's 2000s playlist on Spotify
    - Martijn's 2010s playlist on Spotify

Fingers crossed this works. smile
  13. Okay, I don't have Spotify and I really want to see those lists. sad

Please export it to a format of a document that is compatible with the software that does the decoding necessary to crack the mystery which has now taken hold of me. My fate depends on it.

This should take no more than 3 and a half minutes ** of your time.

** Rough estimation
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2016 edited
    I didn't have spotify either. I installed it specifically to accomodate my dear and grateful friends.
    It cost me a day and a half, two hard drives, a keyboard, a monitor (I hurled through the room in mad frustration. Ah yes, and two hamsters. My aim was true.), a full re-installation of Windows 7 which kept upgrading to Windows 10 so I had to redo it four times and the final complete abolition from my life of all things electronic entirely.

I am projecting these words by my sheer mental power, while playing the soundtrack to Star Wars on my acoustic guitar.
  14. So here is my 80s playlist for anyone interested. I created the file using the Snipping Tool and IrfanView.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p3j1j1ykxzn1j … r.jpg?dl=0

Volker smile