• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2010 edited
    But it did sound a little like Window To The Past from Harry Potter. wink

It's probably the most memorable new theme this season too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2010
    Anthony, What do you think about [spoiler]How the statue is destroyed ?[/spoiler]
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    [spoiler]Oh dear, that was terrible! How does a boat smash a statue that high right in the face![/spoiler] rolleyes applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    [spoiler]Oh dear, that was terrible! How does a boat smash a statue that high right in the face![/spoiler] rolleyes applause

[spoiler] In first season finale, Dr Artz says it could have been a Tsunami. Now It seems he was righ. I gues the boat smashed right in the weakest point of the statute and then jumped directly to the middle of the jungle. I guess Jacob was watching the whole thing drinking with wine very far from there. [/spoiler]
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Let me reiterate.

[spoiler]A boat smashed the statue in the face! That was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.[/spoiler] biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wow, this as great! punk

This season had some of the best episodes since season 2 or 3. I like the mystery!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Bregt wrote
    Wow, this as great! punk

This season had some of the best episodes since season 2 or 3. I like the mystery!

I think we had enough mysteri for 5 years....

Anyway, Do you think this episode was GREAT?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yes! It binded some elements from the seasons together. Good storytelling as well.

It was interesting!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I love MIB's proper new motif.

I fell back by a couple of weeks but The Four Trombones is all up to date now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010 edited
    Ok, we had been demanding to know Richard Alpert´s story for ages, hadn't we? So we finally got it! Very good episode, as Bregt says, it binded some elements of previous seasons together and finally knew who is Richard, how did he get to the island and why he has been working for Jacob. I have huge problems figuring out how the Others and the Dharma Initiative fit in the big picture though.

Anthony wrote
    How the first half of the episode played well entirely in Spanish was impressive (was it accurate?)

Nautilus wrote
    And the accent was awful (Since Nestor is from Cuba and they have different accent)

Yes the accent was a mixing between cuban spanish and venezuelan spanish. As Jordi said, the more similar spanish accent to those is the one they speak in Tenerife. I couldn't help it but thinking of those terrible venezuelan soap operas every time Richard talked though.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010
    Has anyone found part two of "Late" (the Jimmy Fallon parody)?
    • CommentAuthoradam
    Marselus wrote
    I have huge problems figuring out how the Others and the Dharma Initiative fit in the big picture though.

The others are people brought to the island by Jacob to help him keep the evil powers at bay. The Dharma Initiative is Widmore's creation, presumably to harness the powers on the island (including possibly the MIB himself) in order to do who knows what -- take over the world, probably?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    adam wrote
    Marselus wrote
    I have huge problems figuring out how the Others and the Dharma Initiative fit in the big picture though.

The others are people brought to the island by Jacob to help him keep the evil powers at bay. The Dharma Initiative is Widmore's creation, presumably to harness the powers on the island (including possibly the MIB himself) in order to do who knows what -- take over the world, probably?

Thanks! As much as I like the show I have to admit I get lost (no pun intended) many many times with some of the main ideas / events taking place in the show.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Was trying to work this out myself. I suppose the Losties are the first people to come and discover Jacob and the whole candidates thing.
  1. adam wrote
    Marselus wrote

It seems to me like the others aren't really there for any reason other than for Jacob to try to prove to MIB that people aren't basically bad? Seems like Jacob's real purpose was simply to save the world from the MIB by trapping him on the island, but that, as long as they were there for a long time anyway, he would just bring more people to the island to try to show MIB that they weren't inherently evil. Maybe that's why the others make lists of the new arrivals and then kidnap them - they're trying to gather up all the best people who come into one group.

Where did you get that Dharma is Widmore's creation?? Wasn't he one of the others while Ben was just a kid living with the Dharma initiative?
    • CommentAuthoradam
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2010
    christopher wrote
    Where did you get that Dharma is Widmore's creation?? Wasn't he one of the others while Ben was just a kid living with the Dharma initiative?

Oops, I think I just accidentally made that up. He's a shady company man, but he was doing other things on the island when the Dharma Initiative was going on (unless he did some time travelin')
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010 edited
    adam wrote
    christopher wrote

Oops, I think I just accidentally made that up. He's a shady company man, but he was doing other things on the island when the Dharma Initiative was going on (unless he did some time travelin')

Dharma initiative was created by Albert Hanso. one of the descendents of the Captain Black Rock. I don't think Charles Widmore has nothing to do with it, Since he was the leader of the "others".

I'm afraid all the connection about Jacob and Dharma will be unexplained. I guess Jacob doesn't control everything and "dharma people and US army found the Island for himselfs.

Some people says is only the two ways to explain the Island : Myth and Science.

We are in middle of the final season, and I think they only will explain the Jacob thing. All the other stuff, the time travel wheel, how Eloise visited Desmond in the past, etc....will remain unexplained. sad
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    Alvar Hanso created Dharma.

Widmore must have been a true "Other" that I suppose Richard brought to the island.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Alvar Hanso created Dharma.

Widmore must have been a true "Other" that I suppose Richard brought to the island.

It's what I already said. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The 9th episode is what Lost is about. So much passion and drama, it was on my seat for the whole duration...the episode is epic and it's probably one of the best - if not THE best, of the entire show. Almost makes worth watching the show for 6 years just for that episode. The character and air of the music along with the directing right from the very first moment hinted that something great was to be presented in this episode. It's very impressive what they can do when the time is right and when they want it...also goes to show that Giacchino is operating on instructions as well, and i am having the impression that they know they're creating filler episodes in season 5 and 6 (so far, before the 9th that is) until they lead to the sweeping apex. I can only hope for such a line to continue to the end, at least the 9th episode restores my faith in the writers once and for all. It's surely some of the most impressive tv moments ever.

On a sidenote, did anyone else found Richard, the character and the acting, heartbreakingly impressive and wholly outstanding at places? I never expected such a story and depth behind this character.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Nestor Carbonell is a handsome guy, but not a great actor.

Really? I thought he was brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony, what is that track and score which you say sounds like the Richard's theme from episode 9? I want to find it, and listen to the substitute till the real thing gets released wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nestor Carbonell was fantastic and the bearded, slave, Spanish speaking Richard seemed like an entirely different character.

Richard's theme sounds very similar to "A Window To The Past" from the Prisoner of Azkaban.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010
    Anthony wrote
    Richard's theme sounds very similar to "A Window To The Past" from the Prisoner of Azkaban.

NO

"A window to the past" is one of my all time favourite cues, and Richard's theme has nothing to do with it.

About Nestor Carbonell performance I think it was almost like a "caricature" of the typical poor servent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I have to say i listened to windows to the past too and i agree with Jordi, it's not similar to Richard's theme. The first's adventurous, the 2nd one is tragic and dramatic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    About Nestor Carbonell performance I think it was almost like a "caricature" of the typical poor servent.

Maybe it's because i can't understand Spanish and that part didn't influence me, but all in all he seemed very desperate and passionate about his wife and i just loved that. Episode 9 was perhaps Lost's best episode to date, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Maybe it's because i can't understand Spanish and that part didn't influence me, but all in all he seemed very desperate and passionate about his wife and i just loved that. Episode 9 was perhaps Lost's best episode to date, imo.

Probably, I think in spanish you notice too much his tricks trying to act like a desesperate person.

About if it's the best Lost episode...probably it is. The Constant was much more original, Thourhg the looking glass was the sixth sense of the television shows, but Ab Aeterno looks like a MOVIE! the production level is amazing. and the narrative pulse superb.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Probably, I think in spanish you notice too much his tricks trying to act like a desesperate person.

It´s his accent, definitely. We know this is not spanish (from Spain) accent but cuban / venezuelan spanish accent. He sounds hilarious and funny to us when it should be serious and dramatic.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2010 edited
    I completely forgot there was another episode on last night and casually wandered onto the Lostpedia forums for about 10 minutes and couldn't work out why everything I read made no sense. Yet after all that, I still have no idea as to what's about to happen other than whose centric it is. Count myself lucky. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2010
    Oh, is it up to the standards of the ninth episode?