• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. From the clips I have seen, I don't think I could sit through it all. I'd be too distracted thinking, "oh, that doesn't look good", etc.

Why not just make a live-action film?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2011
    Steven wrote
    You hope.

biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    From the clips I have seen, I don't think I could sit through it all. I'd be too distracted thinking, "oh, that doesn't look good", etc.

It's really off-putting to me, i won't be seeing it, it looks very odd 'cause it's neither animation, neither live action, i don't know what it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    was playing Tintin John Williams

For a score as exciting as this, it's actually quite boring. I usually love generic John Williams action music, ala Jurassic Park, Attack of the Clones, Harry Potter, etc., but this has no memorable themes in between all the noise to prop up the rest of the score. Snowy's "theme" isn't so much a theme but rather a rhythmical orchestral lick. An adequate enough motif, sure, but a theme!?

I found that many of the cues just drifted by without me realising what I'd just listened to. The Falcon track is a decent track, but it's helped by the fact the rest of the score is so bland. Unfortunately the album is a bit of a chore to listen to all the way through, and could definitely do with a shorter running time. But even then I don't think I'd return to it very often. Incredibly disappointing. I just hope it grows on me, I really want to like this score.

Having heard clips from War Horse, all I can say is I'm all but certain that score will make up for this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Those kind of complex but melodically minimalistic scores written by great composers always seems to start slow and then grow on me.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Never my cup of tea, I'm afraid. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    Those kind of complex but melodically minimalistic scores written by great composers always seems to start slow and then grow on me.

I'm not sure Tintin will have that effect on me. I fear this will just be another Crystal Skull for me (I never listen to that score as it's just not very interesting... and that has more melody!)

Tintin mostly just feels like generic post-millenium John Williams incidental scoring and without any decent themes to make it worth repeat listens. But again, I have a lot of hope for War Horse judging by the various clips available around the Interwebs. After Crystal Skull and Tintin, a more dramatic score is exactly what I want to hear from Williams.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    From the clips I have seen, I don't think I could sit through it all. I'd be too distracted thinking, "oh, that doesn't look good", etc.

It's really off-putting to me, i won't be seeing it, it looks very odd 'cause it's neither animation, neither live action, i don't know what it is.

It's live animation, kind of what videogames have been for so long now. Motion captured for added realism and performance captured to add soul to the characters. You've never seen Heavy Rain, Uncharted, or L.A. Noire in action? As a gamer myself, I don't having a problem with this style of film making.

And it's Spielberg FFS, he will deliver!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's Tintin.
    It's Spielberg.

It'll be FINE!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. I know what it is. Motion capture "for added realism and performance". That bit is fine. But, those dead eyes. It's completely unconvincing. Motion capture animates the characters fine, but the animators just can't capture the life that is in peoples' eyes. And until that can be captured then the whole thing seems pretty pointless.

Tom and Jerry has more life in their characters than anything I've seen in Tintin.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But that's how the characters LOOK!

Now I appreciate that this may not be everyone's cup of tea, but as a lifelong Tintin reader, i wouldn't accept anything different! :Rastapopoulos:
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

It's live animation, kind of what videogames have been for so long now. Motion captured for added realism and performance captured to add soul to the characters. You've never seen Heavy Rain, Uncharted, or L.A. Noire in action? As a gamer myself, I don't having a problem with this style of film making.

And it's Spielberg FFS, he will deliver!

No, i want it in games. Not Cinema.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2011 edited
    Martijn wrote
    But that's how the characters LOOK!

Now I appreciate that this may not be everyone's cup of tea, but as a lifelong Tintin reader, i wouldn't accept anything different! :Rastapopoulos:

The characters' looks is what so off-putting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I can't wait to see Tintin. I think it looks fantastic!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Would you say the same if another director was behind it? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I like the mo-cap films. I love The Polar Express. Loved Avatar. Beowulf is under appreciated!

And with Spielberg and Jackson's name attached to Tintin I'm even more excited to see the movie. You have cinema's greatest storyteller in Spielberg along with the guy who help revolutionize the mo-cap effect in the LOTR with Jackson - this is a freakin' win-win situation! Plus, I love 3D animated tales which is evident by my love for How to Train Your Dragon, The Incredibles, etc.

Can't wait!

However, I do wish Zemeckis would stop with the mo-cap from now. He's too talented to be stuck in that medium. I didn't hear good thing about A Christmas Carol.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. It all looks good. But my issue is the lifeless look in the peoples' eyes. Even the cartoon image looks better - because it is not trying to replicate live action.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think they are getting much better with the eyes. Weta did a magnificent job with The Lord of the Rings (Gollum especially), Avatar and King Kong. If I'm not mistaken Zemeckis was using Sony Imageworks for his films.... an effects company who created those dead eyes. I don't think they have anything to do with Tintin.

-Erik-
  5. I have nothing against the film itself - the action of the trailer looks quite good. But, I couldn't really watch a film with those dead eyes looking around. And with the motion capture improving year after year it just highlights the problems more.

Weta did a great job with Gollum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't see dead eyes in the Tintin trailer(s.)

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    I like the mo-cap films. I love The Polar Express. Loved Avatar. Beowulf is under appreciated!

And with Spielberg and Jackson's name attached to Tintin I'm even more excited to see the movie. You have cinema's greatest storyteller in Spielberg along with the guy who help revolutionize the mo-cap effect in the LOTR with Jackson - this is a freakin' win-win situation! Plus, I love 3D animated tales which is evident by my love for How to Train Your Dragon, The Incredibles, etc.

Can't wait!

However, I do wish Zemeckis would stop with the mo-cap from now. He's too talented to be stuck in that medium. I didn't hear good thing about A Christmas Carol.

-Erik-

Christmas Carol was OK but the only one of the mo-cap films I really liked was Avatar - a world above anything else, really.

As for Tintin... it has grown on me (the album - of course, I haven't seen the film) but I'm not sure how often I'll revisit it. It's one of those albums that, despite being full of very proficient music, sounds so similar to so many other things, I'll just be more inclined to listen to them instead. I think it's a couple of steps back from Crystal Skull.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    I think it's a couple of steps back from Crystal Skull.

For me Tintin is behind Crystal Skull in the thematic department but miles ahead in composition!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I know what you mean, but when it comes to a Williams score for a family adventure movie, a few good themes can cover a multitude of sins.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Midnight Run - Elfman, Danny

I have always loved this. I am able to confirm that I still love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    I know what you mean, but when it comes to a Williams score for a family adventure movie, a few good themes can cover a multitude of sins.

yeah Took the words right out of my mouth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The thing is though... there are themes. No, there isn't a Raiders March type concert piece to hum along with as the film ends (shame) but there are themes!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    There are... but I've listened to the thing quite a few times and I can't remember any of them (not a reaction I can say has happened on any previous Williams score for a film like this).

Anyway, NP: Priest - Christopher Young

Love this. Sheer entertainment. One of the top couple of scores of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Reign of fire (Shearmur)

For a melody fan like me, this one is tough to get through. It's all sounding rather cool, but I find it hard to detect any melodies.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2011
    Southall wrote
    There are... but I've listened to the thing quite a few times and I can't remember any of them (not a reaction I can say has happened on any previous Williams score for a film like this)

Hummm... on my first listen I picked up on the themes immediately and can hum them no problem.

Oh well...

-Erik-