• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011
    NP : MIDNIGHT EXPRESS - Giorgio Moroder

Good stuff, I've always enjoyed this album.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I think I read at FSM that Moroder CD was actually re-recordings done quickly with synth, by another composer. Sounds like it, too, as I watched some of the film and it was not like that, and more orchestral in nature.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2011
    NP: A Certain Smile - Alfred Newman

Beautiful work from one of the greatest lyrical composers of the Golden Age.
    As often with Newman, the score hinges on one very strong and distinct theme, which returns in many variations.
    And what a theme it is! It has that deeply Romantic feel Newman does so well, tinged with a suggestion of darkness and melancholy to lift it (far) above the stereotypically saccharine. In fact, I'm slightly surprised at the dramatic, at times distinctly wistful tone of this score for what I thought was a romantic comedy.

Strongly strings-driven (another Newman signature), the use of (often a single) woodwind in this score is really quite lovely and adds a counterpoint to the wall of strings that works emotionally really well.

Lovely score! Truly!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Archangel (Two Steps From Hell)

This is TSFH's second official album after Invincible, and it's no where near as good. They are both compilation albums, consiting of previous pieces, and they could have easily made an album as good as Invincible by selecting some better pieces. Here's an album I'd compile if I were to compile an Invincible 2 album:

Rise of evil (Volume one)
    Spirit of death (Volume one)
    Fireflies (Volume one)
    Color the sky (Dreams & imaginations)
    Northern pastures (Dreams & imaginations)
    A small step for mankind (Dreams & imaginations)
    Dynasty (Dynasty)
    Red army (Dynasty)
    Road to revelation (Nemesis)
    Sky titans (Nemesis)
    Call to arms (Legend)
    Day becomes night (Legend)
    Down with the enterprise (Legend)
    Equus (Legend)
    Forces of destiny (Legend)
    Legions of faith (Legend)
    Perchance to dream (Legend)
    White witch (Legend)
    American soldier (The Devil wears Nada)
    Clock tower parade (The Devil wears Nada)
    Professor Pumplestickle (The Devil wears Nada)
    I love you forever (Illumina)
    Jump! (Power of darkness)

punk

I'm glad though that the Archangel album includes Norwegian pirate, Dragon rider and Friendship to last. But most of the selections are rather poor.

Peter smile
  2. NP: The Ides of March (Desplat)

Reminds me of the subdued David Shire conspiracy scores of the 70s. More rhythm than melody driven though, unlike those scores. The last two cues, and the finale/end credits cue in particular are worthy additions for the Desplat fan. The opening cue presents the core idea, and is a nice little martial angle on the sound he used in Fantastic Mr Fox.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Ides of March (Desplat)

Reminds me of the subdued David Shire conspiracy scores of the 70s. More rhythm than melody driven though, unlike those scores. The last two cues, and the finale/end credits cue in particular are worthy additions for the Desplat fan. The opening cue presents the core idea, and is a nice little martial angle on the sound he used in Fantastic Mr Fox.

He scored this film with such discretion and respect for the material, it was admirable in the film for me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. QUO VADIS - MIKLOS ROZSA

The Vocalion release, as recommended by Martijn. beer

Where has this music and recording been all my life? I really didn't expect this, I only know the few tracks of Quo Vadis from 'Three Choral Suites', and these 40 minutes are simply stunning in comparison.

And I just know Ben-Hur will be even better. At least this presentation will. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    smile smile smile
    You have no idea how pleased I am that you like this.
    Made my day. It really has.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    QUO VADIS - MIKLOS ROZSA

Where has this music and recording been all my life? I really didn't expect this, I only know the few tracks of Quo Vadis from 'Three Choral Suites', and these 40 minutes are simply stunning in comparison.

And I just know Ben-Hur will be even better. At least this presentation will. smile

It's my #9 favourite re-recording of all time.
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1082

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    QUO VADIS - MIKLOS ROZSA

-Erik-

I still have the LP but still haven't bought the CD shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ATONEMENT - Dario Marianelli

Stunning!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry

Classic score, brilliant! The original score is superior but just for a change I'm listening to the Silva re-recording.
  4. Martijn wrote
    smile smile smile
    You have no idea how pleased I am that you like this.
    Made my day. It really has.

cheesy fireworks punk A.W.E.S.O.M.E. punk fireworks cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    QUO VADIS - MIKLOS ROZSA

-Erik-

I know, you have posted this quite often now the past few weeks... wink

And with good reason!

I wonder if there are anymore Rozsa's worth checking out besides El Cid, Ben-Hur and this with these incredible recordings. You know the kind of epic, bombastic stuff that is practically non-existent in today's composing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ivanhoe!
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1271

Rozsa Conducts His Great Film Music (on LP only)
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=906

Yes, my plugs are shameless but this is why my radio show exists!

Here's another one... JULIUS CAESAR
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7 … egory=2004

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just listening to the trailer for WAR HORSE made me want to play some JW...

NP : SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET - John Williams

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Stunning!

Absolutely, the long tracking - steadicam scene at Dunkirk is one of the most amazing cinematic treats i've seen, both audio and visually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2011 edited
    NP: Real Steel - Danny Elfman

Danny Elfman channeling his head banging rock and rock roots. Big orchestra with drum kit, looping bass and female solo vocal. I love the theme heard in the first track. Big, meaty, heroic six-note French Horn theme and it's also welcome to hear it through the course of the album playing time which is at a breezy 42 minutes. Unfortuantely, the recording isn't very well balanced. When all the elements come together during the action cues the orchestra, guitars and drum it get a bit messy and drown each other out. A rare misfire by the consistently great Dennis Sands.

Overall, I think fans of Elfman and the RC/MV styled score are going to love this. It's got great entertainment value and it most definitely has a heart especially during the more tender moments that feature a more country twag to it... bass and light electric and acoustic guitar.

I was surprised to read that Filmtracks gave this a 5 star rating! shocked

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Meh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Stunning!

Absolutely, the long tracking - steadicam scene at Dunkirk is one of the most amazing cinematic treats i've seen, both audio and visually.

Indeed D, I thought that whole scene was almost unbearably moving, a superb bit of film making.
  6. This just in:

"Unbreakable" (expanded)
    "The Change-Uo" (used score, with six cues from Shapiro's rejected score)
    Jon Sadoff promo (wiuth one cue from his rejected score to "The Merry Gentlemen")

Based on the tracklist, the J.N.H. doesn't appear to be complete -- inspite of being passed around as such; the DVD deleted scenes alone contain score not listed on the tracklist. Ironically, the boot is 70:16 and the complete score probably would have been just under 80 minutes, so it would have fit. Probably some kind of rear channel DVD rip or something. But, on the plus side -- sounds great, and is lossless (just tested it).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011
    DAFT PUNK - tron: legacy

One of the classic scores of our times.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR TREK : THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams

I'm going to spend all day listening to music love
  7. Star Trek? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Star Trek? biggrin

Just making sure you people are paying attention. wink
  8. Yeah, even though Star Wars: The Motion Picture would be quite cool!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. Timmer wrote

cool

Don't tell me you wouldn't crave for a sequel score to that gem too, right?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

cool

Don't tell me you wouldn't crave for a sequel score to that gem too, right?

Yes it is a great score but how would there be a sequel?
  10. Timmer wrote
    NP : STAR TREK : THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams

I'm going to spend all day listening to music love

That is a great listen for sure, but I do have a thing for the fluffy and romantic sound of Star Trek Episode XIV: The Wrath of Vader's Empire. You've gotta love the use of dual xylophones for the heroic theme, or how about the magical kazoo sound used so subtly in each cue as the 7-note danger motif. Or the love theme performed by tibetan throat singers. love Brilliant piece of work, that !!! punk

It's by far the best thing Johnson Peckerwood has ever written.