• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Downton Abbey (John Lunn)

If you like Richard Robbins-like scores, you'll probably go for this. I do.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. SPACE & BEYOND (COMPILATION)

Without a doubt one my most-loved compilations. Whenever I want to hear the most stunning film music from the good old days, I know this will do the trick. And totally make my day. beer

2001 A Space Odyssey, Apollo 13, The Right Stuff, Species, Lifeforce, Alien, Capricorn One, Cocoon, The Black Hole, The Empire Strikes Back, Heavy Metal, Enemy Mine, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Star Wars and Star Trek (practically the whole second disc).

Legendary music, great set !!!!!!!! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011
    Miya wrote
    NP: Summer Wars by Akihiko Matsumoto

It's an anime movie, which is very enjoyable, with a good score...
    The orchestral part (for the real world) is fun and uplifting, while the electric music is not something I want to play often, but fits very well in the scenes of the Facebook-like virtual world.

I really really dislike anime...but that seems to mean I'm missing out on some really good music.
    This is very interesting, Miya, although that generally schizophrenic Yoko Kanno initiated vibe seems to be pervading Japanese animated features more and more: there's thirties Gershwin sounds, minimalist piano, new age sounds, orchestral power...

Thanks for posting!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Downton Abbey (John Lunn)

It's a lovely score to a great show that I have been totally caught up in. Which is really not usually my thing being "non-sci-fi/fantasy" etc. But it's so classy. And Beautifully shot. Almost 3D in some scenes!
    Season 2 is very good also. That includes the scoring. Extremely moving (Sibelius like) string lines for the hospital scenes etc. Wont say too much more except I hope a decent release of both season's score become available soon!
  3. I got this one off iTunes (season 1). Glad to hear season 2 is equally strong as a series. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Martijn wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: Summer Wars by Akihiko Matsumoto

It's an anime movie, which is very enjoyable, with a good score...
    The orchestral part (for the real world) is fun and uplifting, while the electric music is not something I want to play often, but fits very well in the scenes of the Facebook-like virtual world.

I really really dislike anime...but that seems to mean I'm missing out on some really good music.
    This is very interesting, Miya, although that generally schizophrenic Yoko Kanno initiated vibe seems to be pervading Japanese animated features more and more: there's thirties Gershwin sounds, minimalist piano, new age sounds, orchestral power...

Thanks for posting!

Which movie makes you dislike anime so much? dizzy I said "anime" because it's an easier way than saying "an animated movie produced by a Japanese animation studio", but it's NOT a genre... there is a lot of diversity in animated movies.

I'm not sure what you said about Yoko Kanno, because I haven't heard/seen her works... but I heard people saying she rips off too often.

Actually, I don't know much about Japanese anime compared to others in my generation!

Anyway great to hear that you liked Summer Wars tracks smile

NP: "Rock Island, 1931" from Road To Perdition - Thomas Newman

I saw a bit of Horse Whisperer and liked the music. I don't have it so instead... smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2011 edited
    Having been disabled for the day I've spent all morning playing music....

THE FILM MUSIC OF - Erich Wolfgang Korngold

This is the Chandos release with THE SEA WOLF and a short suite from THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, great stuff!

THE FILM MUSIC OF - Christopher Gunning

One of Chandos very best film music releases, Gunning is a seriously underrated composer ( or more accurately 'undervalued', at least by Hollywood ) and I can't recommend this CD highly enough.

THE BLACK HOLE - John Barry

I still can't get enough of this one, fantabulous release!

HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE - Patrick Doyle

A great score, what a shame he's been "forced" to take an MV/RC route with the likes of THOR and RISE OF THE APES.

Anyway, and right up to scratch........

NP : STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SPARTACUS - Alex North

Incredible score, music for the brain!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Yes. I thought this had a street date of October 24. Maybe James has gotten hold of an advance copy of some sort.

Reviewers usually do receive advance copies for review.

Not common knowledge?

Anywho, if you want to hear music from TINTIN then head over to my web site. Two extended suites are there for your enjoyment!
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1441

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. For our enjoyment... That is spot on Erik. I'm listening to it now... it sounds wonderfully fun. Can't wait to hold the album in my hands, and watch and listen to the film !!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

DOCTOR! MY BUH-RAIN HURTS!

I've had that in my head all day (excuse the pun).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Close Encounters John Williams

I seem to remember that the original album is the preference of most people on this forum? I can understand that. For me, though, I love every note of this score and always go for the anniversary edition album.

It's probably not as good as Tintin judging by recent comments, but this certainly deserves its classic status and then some.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

D.P. GUMBY biggrin

I suppose, if you didn't have a brain, that Spartacus would go in one ear and out of the other.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I seem to remember that the original album is the preference of most people on this forum? I can understand that. For me, though, I love every note of this score and always go for the anniversary edition album.

It's probably not as good as Tintin judging by recent comments, but this certainly deserves its classic status and then some.

E.T. is the album where I farrrrrr prefer the original album. I'm really happy to have both versions of CE3K.

EDIT : I'm being silly, I'm happy to have both versions of E.T. too, it's just that I'm far more likely to play the older album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote

I've really enjoyed the music to this, very good series too, rare superior quality drama from ITV.
  5. Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well, then stop using it.

(try some Tyler Bates; repeat if the brain problem persists)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Np: The Presence - Conrad Pope

Love it! Small orchestra, masterful orchestrations (wonderful flute flutters remind me of Howard and Desplat,) wonderful atmosphere, simple themes (main theme performed on bassoon.) A true master at work here! Have a listen!
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1441

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, it's a very good score!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote

I love the music in the show but have held off buying the CD purely because in the show most cues seem to be very short, so I wasn't sure if the album would work. But if you like it, I'm sure I will.

As for the second series... I'm not sure it really is quite as good as the first. Much more soap opera-ish. I still like it, but if the second series had been the first then I'm not sure I'd have stuck around. (And last Sunday Lady Mary said "It's not that I'm shocked... I'm just stunned." Julian Fellowes, shame on you.)
  6. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

E.T. is the album where I farrrrrr prefer the original album. I'm really happy to have both versions of CE3K.

EDIT : I'm being silly, I'm happy to have both versions of E.T. too, it's just that I'm far more likely to play the older album.

E.T. expanded album is the only one I have and it's the only one I need. Pure Williams magic at work for the whole duration (for me).

CE3K expanded album is the only one I have and it's one where I feel the whole 77 minutes are among the best film music ever written. Goosebumps, chills, the heebiejeebies, the willies, you name it, I get it all with every listen. Cannot live without this in my collection, it's that simple.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You don't have Williams original rerecording of E.T.? You are truly missing out Gilles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Real Steel - Danny Elfman

Is this really by Danny Elfman? It seems opposite to everything he would usually believe in with its obvious emotional manipulation and its major key triumphalism.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    You don't have Williams original rerecording of E.T.? You are truly missing out Gilles.

yeah

For instance you are missing out on THIS brilliant piece of concert music.

The alternate of "Abandoned and Pursued"

The concert version of E.T.'s Halloween

The concert arrangement of Over The Moon

And the film version (I think) of Adventures on Earth

None of that is available on the expanded editions!

-Erik-
  7. Timmer wrote

But why, if the expanded gives me much more of Williams' magic?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The original rerecording is excellent, but I must admit I prefer the anniversary edition. Due largely to the fact it's the one I first listened to.
  8. franz_conrad wrote

Yes, it's a great score to a great series. I love the opening theme. It's a shame how more and more television series are doing away with opening themes now.
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

yeah

For instance you are missing out on THIS brilliant piece of concert music.

The alternate of "Abandoned and Pursued"

The concert version of E.T.'s Halloween

The concert arrangement of Over The Moon

And the film version (I think) of Adventures on Earth

None of that is available on the expanded editions!

-Erik-

You really want to convince me huh? smile

I'll check those out, see (hear) what I've been missing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Youtube cannot do such magnificence justice!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The original rerecording is excellent, but I must admit I prefer the anniversary edition. Due largely to the fact it's the one I first listened to.

Being used to something is always a valid point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Real Steel - Danny Elfman

Is this really by Danny Elfman? It seems opposite to everything he would usually believe in with its obvious emotional manipulation and its major key triumphalism.

Nicht gut. Neither Cirque du Soleil: Iris
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.