• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2011
    Yeah, I'd probably agree with that. Although Ultimatum contains my favourite track from any of the scores: Tangiers. (With Bim Bam Smash a close second, and Waterloo and close third.)

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ultimatum is (easily) my favourite of the albums and possibly my favourite Powell album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    (but I like all of those scores - and Mr and Mrs Smith, which is a bit like Bourne with tangos!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I must admit I seem to choose Ultimatum over the others more often than not. Tangiers really is the most bad ass thing Powell has ever written. (Great to listen to on your iPod if you're walking through a large crowd, or indeed Waterloo if you're in Waterloo.)

Hmm, I wouldn't mind going to Tangier or Moscow...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Last Airbender James Newton Howard

I'll blow my own trumpet here and say that my album version of this is far superior to the official one. I've done more than shuffle a few tracks around, essentially I've rearranged and cut tracks by getting rid of the slow parts and finished the album off with the Airbender suite, but with the climax of Flow Like Water edited on the end. The suite shouldn't have been put at the beginning of the album, but the latter part of Flow Like Water is still the best way to finish it I think.

At 45 minutes, I think it's a far healthier running time for the material. And that's 45 minutes of excellent music. And the timpani… the timpani!

There, trumpet blowing over.
    But I am amazing.

There is a rip of the film version of the end credits floating about in the ether of the Internet, and that would be an even better way to finish the album... but alas, it's a rather dodgy rip.
  1. PREDATORS - JOHN DEBNEY

Impossible to beat the original from Silvestri, but this one does have some big brass balls, making it a thrilling listen for me every time and I totally love the fact that Debney took over a lot of the motifs, sounds and themes from mighty Alan's action masterpiece.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. James Newton Howard - King Kong

Taking the time constraints into account especially, this is a brilliant work.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Great(est) Miracle - Mark McKenzie

Still my favourite of the year. A real gem.
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    James Newton Howard - King Kong

Especially the 3 CD complete score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yonythemoony wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Over kill!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011
    The Cassandra Crossing - Jerry Goldsmith

Sexy, stylish 70s thriller score. Seriously underrated!
  4. Southall wrote

The motif that Goldsmith used for the actual bridge is one of those moments that's stayed with me from the moment I first saw/heard it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

Maybe, but I saw the film for the first time this summer (my dad had a DVD of it lying around in the summer house), and it was pants!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indeed it is. I thought it was frequently hilarious, which meant I enjoyed watching it. Very much so-good-it's-bad. I was rolling round the floor during the seemingly random hippie singalong that happened on the train.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Indeed it is. I thought it was frequently hilarious, which meant I enjoyed watching it. Very much so-good-it's-bad. I was rolling round the floor during the seemingly random hippie singalong that happened on the train.

Yeap! It's much better than THE SWARM though I'd argue that Jerry's score for that film is better.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yonythemoony wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

It's a good score but it's not 3 CD's good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BLACK HOLE - John Barry

A Barry score I never really liked has now become a bit of a favourite since the revelation of Intrada's complete score release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Yeap! It's much better than THE SWARM though I'd argue that Jerry's score for that film is better.

I love Jerry's score for The Swarm! Such a dumb film but fun to watch (parts of).
    The Cassandra Crossing has great action cues but I hate the recording!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    The Last Airbender James Newton Howard

I'll blow my own trumpet here and say that my album version of this is far superior to the official one. I've done more than shuffle a few tracks around, essentially I've rearranged and cut tracks by getting rid of the slow parts and finished the album off with the Airbender suite, but with the climax of Flow Like Water edited on the end. The suite shouldn't have been put at the beginning of the album, but the latter part of Flow Like Water is still the best way to finish it I think.

At 45 minutes, I think it's a far healthier running time for the material. And that's 45 minutes of excellent music. And the timpani… the timpani!

There, trumpet blowing over.
    But I am amazing.

There is a rip of the film version of the end credits floating about in the ether of the Internet, and that would be an even better way to finish the album... but alas, it's a rather dodgy rip.

Every Shyamalan score he's written so far also includes one exceptional cue, like in this case ' Flow Like Water'. If you gather all these in a single album, you have the best pieces he's written smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    PREDATORS - JOHN DEBNEY

Impossible to beat the original from Silvestri, but this one does have some big brass balls, making it a thrilling listen for me every time and I totally love the fact that Debney took over a lot of the motifs, sounds and themes from mighty Alan's action masterpiece.

you said it, finally someone who appreciated the original and used the most important stuff of that score with his own material. I love it!
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ilan Eshkeri's 'Johnny English Reborn'

is certainly not as good as Ed.Shearmur's original, but holds some small surprises in it. Generally speaking, it's orchestral which is a large plus and there are no rc-isms in it, but it's too closely connected to the movie and comes disjoint as a listening experience on cd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: AMÉLIE (Yann Tiersen)

Smooth!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. RED SONJA - ENNIO MORRICONE

The Perseverance release is a recent discovery and buy. It's a good Ennio... I especially love the choir and the melodies it's used in. Very short but very enjoyable.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011 edited
    Why isn't everyone talking about LUDOVIC BOURCE - The Artist ? Such elegance, charm and melody! Nostalgic of eras past. 20's glory and romanticism at their best. Kinda like what Giacchino was doing with the lush Paris streets, in Ratatouille. Only better smile
  7. Sometimes you make me laugh, D.

Never heard of either. From my own browsing or from any film music related publicity.

How did you come by this?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NOT from a Jedi...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. The film has only been doing the festivals, has only just been released in France and has yet to get a general release. Just what are we meant to be talking about?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, he kinda does have a cool name.
    Ludovic.
    Ludovic Bource.

Sounds like a villain from a 19th century novel.

I like it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Oh, is D talking about how musical his name is? I thought he was talking about some music! rolleyes

What am I like!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011 edited
    I am talking about different, orchestral film music with passion and flair for a change, instead of the usual suspect crap we talk around here. How's that for an excuse ? wink Also the comment had a bit of irony in it, i thought it was evident? wink